Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210000 - 09/07/03 01:25 PM Curing Eggs.....help
BratBonker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell WA
With all the humpies in the rivers and the silvers hopefully coming I was wondering what would be the best way to cure all these eggs. I got 4 females yesterday and cured those in just pro glow and they are in the frige straining now. If willing i was wondering if some of you would share some of your cures. I have decided next to try Bob's Worlds best eggs. I also have an Egg Cures book by Scott Haugen. What do you guys and gals think about Slam-Ola powder, Pro-Cure and other oils and curesand scents. What about using Kool-Aid or WD40. Any help at all on how not to screw up these eggs and make them good would be great! Thanks confused laugh

#210001 - 09/07/03 02:09 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

personally, there is a cure on this website that is great. i have been using it for years and the results are excellent. as far as adding scents to the cure, it is really up to you. everyone has there own "secret" scents, so be creative and just trial and error. remember that a little goes a long way. i have never used much scent in my brine and still get great response from fish. good luck! thumbs

#210002 - 09/08/03 10:52 AM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I never add scent to the cure. I figure that can be added later if necessary, but rarely find it necessary. I just use Procure, and it makes great eggs.

#210003 - 09/09/03 11:45 AM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
My recipe is the simplest one out there and catches just as many fish as the next guy.

I simply rub procure "wizard" into the eggs as soon as I get them home. Pop the eggs into a ziplock baggie and let them sit for a few hours. Take the eggs out and place them on white paper towels (white so the ink doesn't bleed onto the eggs). Sprinkle them with sugar and let them sit for a couple of days. Put them in baggies if you want to freeze them or use them.

For me, simple is the ticket.

#210004 - 09/09/03 12:44 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Used Bob's wet cure on 15 pounds of silver eggs last fall. The trick is the straining and drying.

The eggs worked great. Hooked 60+ fish with them this year.

Thank the lord for the humpies, as I am down to (1) package of cured eggs.

#210005 - 09/09/03 03:12 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've found that if you freeze them first...

then soak them for a couple of hours in a crab pot they soften up real nice...

Throw them out and buy a tub of sandshrimp...

best cure around laugh

#210006 - 09/09/03 04:43 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA. USA
The biggest mistake I have been making over the years is using too much pro cure, or whatever rub cure of your choice.

When too much is used, the eggs do get very bright in the color you have chosen, but when frozen and unthawed, they tend to be a lot wetter and tend to be a general mess to use and clean up.

My fishing partner suggested I use less cure and bamo, with this years salt catch I did up some extremely beautiful roe just by following the instructions on most of the shaker bottles, erring on the side of under coating them.

Make sure you are not using bloody eggs, wash them, butterfly or cut into chunks, lightly sprinkle the cure, let sit for an hour or so, drain the juice, let sit overnite, then they are ready to use or freeze.

#210007 - 09/10/03 10:00 AM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
two 6 oz cans of fruit fresh, one cup of borax, two cups of noniodized salt, one oz of red food coloring. Put in one gallon glass jar and fill half way with water. Drop your whole skeins in and just leave em. Just keep adding more eggs as you get them till the jar is full. Ready to use in 24 hours or will last for several years. Add any extras you want such as anise, shrimp etc.

#210008 - 09/10/03 10:38 AM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
I simpley put wizzard on open skeins of eggs and place on a piece of cardboard over night, the cardboard sucks up the water and you get a nice texture to the eggs.

#210009 - 09/10/03 01:26 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Poor mans Pro Cure:

1 cup borax, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup Tender Quick, and 1 heaping tablespoon of pro glow die.

I use it just like pro glow. The eggs look and work great.

#210010 - 09/10/03 02:43 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
Anybody know of the Red Jell-O egg cure recipe?

#210011 - 09/10/03 03:40 PM Re: Curing Eggs.....help
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
The answer depends on what you plan to catch with the eggs you cure.

If you're after coho or Chinook, there are a number of great cures on the market, including Amerman's (my favorite), Pro-cure, TNT, etc. Bob's cure on this BB is teriffic. Any of those work great. They generally produce a brightly colored, soft, messy eggs. The milking action and the bright color is what gets the salmon to bite, spring Chinook in particular. Be sure to wear gloves.

But if you're after steelhead, that's different. I cure eggs for steelhead very differently. I use a combination borax, sugar, salt, and sodium sulfate.

Try this:

Three parts borax
two parts sugar
one part salt (non-iodized)
half part sodium sulfate

Mix these four ingreidents. Quarter or butterfly the egg skiens. Roll the eggs in it so they're completly and thoroughly coated, set the eggs in the fridge for 24 hours. If the eggs are somewhat dull, add a pinch of orange Proglow dye, but not much. Drain off the juice after 24 hours, set for another day or two. The eggs will be very stiff and natural color. They hold up very well in heavy current (where steelhead hold).

Also, try doing a search on this BB. Egg cures are one of the most frequently discussed topics and there are lots of ideas that have been mentioned in years past. Good luck.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 923 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |