Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181333 - 01/12/03 06:08 PM SoCal Steelhead
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
This continues to amaze me!! I love it! Steelhead in So Cal and Northern Mexico! WOW!!

Region's anglers urged to let rare steelhead off hooks

Officials say as few as 200 of wild trout are in area's waters

By Terry Rodgers
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 10, 2003

Catching a steelhead trout in the ocean off Southern California is about as rare as finding a pearl in an oyster and winning the lottery in the same day.

John Roe is one lucky angler.

The Laguna Hills resident hooked a 20-inch-long female steelhead while fishing from his kayak Dec. 30 at Dana Point Harbor.

Steelhead are rainbow trout that begin their lives in fresh water, then go to sea before returning to spawn in their original streams and rivers.

Officials with the National Marine Fisheries Service said they are pleased that Roe released the rare fish unharmed, and they're urging other anglers throughout Southern California to do the same if they hook a steelhead.

Wild steelhead can be identified by their trout-or salmon-like appearance and the presence of an adipose fin, a small fin on the fish's back between the dorsal and tail fins. The adipose fin has been clipped from all hatchery-raised steelhead in California since 1997, the same year several West Coast wild steelhead populations were placed on the list of endangered species.

"I had an idea they were pretty rare," said Roe, 40, who has caught nonendangered steelhead in the Klamath River in Northern California.

Roe said he hooked the 21/2-pound steelhead on 2-pound test fishing line using a curly tailed, lead-head jig that had been smeared with Smelly Jelly fish attractant.

Biologists verified that the fish was a steelhead based on a digital photo Roe took before he released it.

The rarest of all native steelhead in the United States are those between the Santa Maria River south of San Luis Obispo and the U.S.-Mexico border, where as few as 200 of the subspecies are left, said Craig Heberer, a federal fisheries biologist.

The fish hooked in Dana Point Harbor was just a few miles from San Mateo Creek, where a spawning population of steelhead was discovered in 1999. That discovery prompted federal officials to extend their original extinction boundary from Malibu Creek in northern Los Angeles County to the U.S.-Mexico border.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terry Rodgers: (619) 542-4566; terry.rodgers@uniontrib.com

Here's a link to an earlier post:

Steelhead in Baja California

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#181334 - 01/12/03 09:48 PM Re: SoCal Steelhead
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Steelhead, warm place ?? How soon can we get the runs back so I can guide there instead moose ?????????????

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#181335 - 01/13/03 10:19 PM Re: SoCal Steelhead
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I lived in the bay area for about 6 years. Their was a sign on a short stream just north of San Fransicio bay claiming to be the southernmost drainage still supporting steelhead on the west coast. I guess they have to change their sign now!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (No More Ice Fishin, 2 invisible), 1001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |