Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181545 - 01/13/03 03:14 AM Overnight Halibut
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Has anyone taken an overnight halibut charter out of Homer to get two limits? sleep I'm considering doing this in June. The price seems like a great deal. Any info would be appreciated.

#181546 - 01/13/03 03:03 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
ive never done that, but when i worked for a fish tender in alaska, i would throw my 250# line over and leave it over night..only caught rockfish doing that, but its still fun..

#181547 - 01/14/03 08:54 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
Fishgal Offline

Loc: Forks, WA
We have a friend that does this out of Valdez in Prince William Sound every year and he raves about it. It sounds like a lot of fun and isn't very expensive especially with a larger group.

I haven't done it my self but will this summer on my Dad's boat when we go on our spring hunt.

I would go for it!! smile smile

#181548 - 01/14/03 10:30 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
Ragnar Offline
Eyed Egg

In regard to the overnight halibut trip... I have taken this trip out of Homer before. Not only that, but in fairly recent history, I have been A deckhand on some of the charte boat there as well. During these experiences, I've come to appreciate the "you get what you pay for" phrase. Personally I would never take another of those "overnighter" halibut trips, unless you went way out to the Barren Is. or perhapsaround to Port Dick or Gore Pt. for rock fish and lings. A trip like that will certainly be no bargain. Look, those skippers and charter outfits know that the only thing cheaper than a fisherman is two fishermen. Here's what i would do... Go down to the Spit, Right behind The Salty Dawg Saloon is Silver Fox Charters Ask for Mike Swan He has his own boat called "The Brazen". The charter office books his boat for him. He does do private parties as well. In my opinion, He is the the poo so take a wiff. Although, he's not the cheapest around, you will be far more happier fishing with him rather than the cheapo special. Maybe you should try both, so that you know what I'm talking about. That's how I learned. It was kind of an expensive lesson though.
Good luck,
Ragnar

#181549 - 01/14/03 01:56 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
seaweed Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: under the sea
Hey newbie Ragnar....sounds like you're trying to get in some free advertising. I haven't met a cheap fisherman?? frown Seems like you are trying to dump on the halibut fishermen out of Homer. Didn't like your job??

#181550 - 01/14/03 04:57 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
Ragnar Offline
Eyed Egg

Dear Seaweed, I think maybe you're reading a little too much into my post. I took the over night trip discussed previously and was sadly dissappointed. After talking to several different skippers in Homer about that "deal" they all seemed to laugh and chuckle. I believe the common theme there was " you fell for that?!" Plenty of hardy har-har to be heard. As far as me liking my job as a deckhand? I loved it! I took my father(rest his soul) out before he died a year ago, with the skipper I had recommended and we had a great time. Mind you, this was after going out every day on a half day charter that also seemed like a good deal at $80.00. If you want 2 chickens a piece then go for it! But, if you want some quality action, Mike Swan is your dude. He specializes in the Barren Islands, considered to be the "Holy Grail" around there due to the potential nastiness of the surrounding waters in foul weather but, awsome fishing. I'm not trying to pimp anything or anybody so lets all nice here. O.K.? I'm trying to help a brother out here so can you give me the benifit of the doubt? So, Seaweed would you like to talk about Homer sometime?
Thanks
Ragnar

#181551 - 01/14/03 07:50 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

What is an overnighter with two limits? Does that mean one limit before midnight and another after midnight or ?

#181552 - 01/15/03 12:12 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
An overnighter is just that: two limts, one before midnight and one after midnight. The trip lasts from 5:00pm to 9:00am. Cost is a little more than a regular full day trip.

My concern is that the capatin will go to the chicken hole so everyone can fill their daily limits easily. I'd prefer some BEEEEg ones!

#181553 - 01/15/03 12:49 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
OB, couple things to think about, 1) halibut under 100 lbs. are considered chickens and are far better eating then "barn doors", 2) most places charge by the pound to process your catch, (at least in S.E. probably up there too) 4 barn doors could get expensive, 3) if you fly, you'll probably be charged for extra baggage, and last, the BEEEEEG ones are ALL female which lay 2-4 million eggs, and imho are much more valuable for reproducing then for taking a picture of, then throwing out when you realize what your stuck with. Just something to think about.

#181554 - 01/15/03 03:01 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
David Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Hey all, I've lived in Homer all my life and work on one of the aforementioned half day boats. The basic idea of a half day trip or overnight is alot of people and alot of fish. On our half day trips we need to catch 40 halibut in about 1.5 hours of fishing time. Those who think that catching 40 halibut and having them all over 100 pounds is possible in that time frame are grossly mistaken, and a sign in our office states that our average fish caught is 10-30 pounds. The same idea is essentially true for an overnight trip, except that on that the skipper is looking to catch 80 to 100 halbut in about six hours of fishing time. Big fish are not found swimming around in school by the hundred, so if you're looking for big fish this is not the way to go.
There have been many days as well that we've had better size averages on a half day trip than many of the full day six - packs, this is where choosing the right captain is essential, and Mike Swan is one of the top as Ragnar stated previously.

-Ragnar- did you fish on the Jackpot or the Sizzler? If it was on the Jackpot you should have fished with me.

#181555 - 01/15/03 09:59 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
Ragnar Offline
Eyed Egg

David, Yes. I think I might have even worked with you on the Jackpot with Art. My Dad was the dude with cancer. He was always up on the bow with Art's big leadhaed jigs. I was the guy who made those wooden indian style halibut hooks for use. That was a year+1/2 ago right? I unfortunately have not been back since. I miss it terribly. Good to hear from you. Maybe you can private message me? I am new to this new-fangled technology stuff. Keep in touch.
Ragnar

#181556 - 01/15/03 10:54 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
I will add another one. I have fished with quite a few people out of Homer and have good luck with most of the boats, Silver Fox has a good fleet but the best I have fished
with was Alaska Halibut charters the boat is the SEA OTTER2 the skipper is Tony he can be a grumpy salt at times but I have not seen a person work as hard as him to get you on good fish in shallow water not just take you to a chicken hole.Like said in another post he also has overnight or 3 day trips to Afognak Island.I have fished the Barrens
quite a few times with him and have done well on fish from 50 to over 200lbs.We had a chicken eater on that I got to see that was within 15 ft from the surface that had 3/4 fo a 30lb chicken in its mouth!!!!!

#181557 - 01/15/03 03:47 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
Been there, done the overnight, done the full day. Both trips were good!

IMHO u get what you pay for if you do some homework first.

Sounds like some good advice here to me.

After the airfare, lodging etc. the fishing isn't the place to try and save $25 or $50. The weather can blow up in a few hours and you don't want to be on something your uncomfortable with either.

If these two guys are willing to take the time to give some tips I'd keep em on the pute till they got tired of me!

herm smile

P.S.

Welcome to the board I appreciate your input and believeve quality is in the ingrediants and not in the quantity of posts, or time on the board.

h thumbs wink

#181558 - 01/15/03 04:55 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Another thought ... why Homer?

Your better Deep Creek guides will put you on the same qulaity fishing w/o as long of a boat ride and generally in a six-pack instead of a party boat setting which makes for a much more personable trip!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#181559 - 01/15/03 05:53 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
John B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: North
We fished out of Ninilchik in six-packs and had many over 100 lb. But also had a lot in the 20-50 lb class. They have a unique way of launching boats there using high wheel tractors.

I tell ya, draggin up a 5 lb weight and a 50lb halibut from 300 ft with the tide beginning to move is a chore!!! wink But oh is the reward worth it. hello I think AK halibut is the best tasting fish in the world -- far better than salmon .... well maybe except for smoked sokeye.

#181560 - 01/15/03 06:29 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Pick your tides right John B and tides become much less of an issue for Inlet fishing. Our captain also often lauches out of Anchor Point when we wants to fish south near Augustine.

We even have a section at www.piscatorialpursuits.com/halibuttides.htm that explains to you how to pick your tides and has all the tables available wink

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#181561 - 01/15/03 10:22 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
John B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: North
Thx Bob. I have very fond memories of Ninilchik. Eagles at the front door, great weather in late June/July. Daylight all nite, and smoking volcanos across the bay.

As I recall, Cook Inlet has one of the largest tidal changes in the world, just behind Bay of Fundy at around 28-30ft. We had to fish right on either side of slack tide or even the 5lb brick weights wouldnt keep us on bottom.

What a thrill to see that rod tip bobble, and then wait a seeming eternity for the fish to take it. Once on however, it took all I had just to get the 125Lb'er (my biggest ever) to the boat. Ill never forget the burning feeling in the arm muscles. Also my first experience "shooting" the fish before bringing them on board -- quite understandable about not wanting a fish that large flopping madly about in a small boat.

I also remember catching other bottom feeders, large cod -- and much to my surprise, after a fight of almost a half hour thinking we had a good halibut, learning that once at the surface my catch was a VERY large skate. All that work, and I mean work!, for naught. But you know what?, the fight, the anticipation, the multiple runs, and so on, even the skate was fun.

Day trips to the Kuikcik (sp) for the sokeye run made for a wonderful contrast. Standing in knee-deep water and watching thousands upon thousands of sockeye, only 5-10 ft away, heading upstream in an endess freight train was the ultimate adreniline rush. Those 5-8 lbers on lite gear buzzing off 50 yds of line in a second, multiple times, was a real treat ---- and of course the time the guide said, I think you guys ought to get in the boat --- NOW! --- and 30 seconds later having a big brown bear and two large cubs come our way. The mother actually stood on the rock I was standing on a minute before and caught s many (Ok, more actually) fish than I did while we watched from the skiff not 30 yards away.

Im sure you agree, that once you go to AK, you are changed for life in a very favorable way.

You are top on my list for the next voyage of memory creation. Thanks for doing all of this so faithfully and participating in the active way that you do. Hat's off to you! beer

ps sorry for the long post, but the fond memories obviosly creep in. Hope others can feel the excitement too. -j

#181562 - 01/15/03 10:29 PM Re: Overnight Halibut
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Thanks John ... and I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I AM THE SKATE MASTER banana help

If there's one to be caught, I'll hook it.

Just wait until you grab hold of one of those salmon sharks as well ... oh my, you wanna talk about sore arms!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#181563 - 01/16/03 12:22 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
David Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Ragnar- I remember you well, your name is Troy I believe.........? We had the same crew on the Jackpot again this year, paul, art, and I. Art got burnt pretty badly in the middle of the season and we had Jack running the boat for awhile. Anyways, hope your doing well, when are you coming up next?

#181564 - 01/16/03 09:59 AM Re: Overnight Halibut
Ragnar Offline
Eyed Egg

Yeah Dave, I don't exactly blend in do I? So much for being annonimous... Sorry to hear about Art. frown He's a good dude. and I hate to hear things like. So, what are the chances of us meeting up like this? Hey, matbe we should take this conversation else where. How do you send a private message? I'd like to talk to you without subjecting the rest if the board to our potentially boring conversation.
Ragnar

smile P.S.
Herm, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to see there's a lot of good people out there.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 954 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |