Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193852 - 04/10/03 01:40 AM Proper C&R Techniques
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
With all the talk goin' down on C&R Pratices, I thought I would share the following info, I don't care what your excuse is or who you point your fingers at it is all our responsibilty to do our part to lessen our impact while preserving our opportunity to fish:

From Ministry of Oceans & Fisheries- Canada:
Catch and Release Tips - Sport Fishing
Practicing good catch and release techniques begins before you catch the fish and doesn't end until after you set it free and it swims away.
Before you catch the fish:
• Use appropriate tackle, not too light, so you can play your fish quickly.
• Use barbless hooks – not only is it easier to remove from the fish, it's the law!
• Avoid using stainless hooks, they won't disintegrate when stuck in a fish like the others.
• Keep alert when angling to keep from deep hooking.
While you're catching the fish:
• Play the fish as quickly as you can so you don't tire it out.
• Assess the fish: size, condition (i.e. where it's been hooked), and species while it's still in the water. A fish sling made out of meter sticks and some cloth can measure the fish while it's still in the water!
While releasing the fish:
• Keep the fish in water. A fish needs water to breathe, and water supports the weight of the fish.
• Handle the fish as little as possible, protect the slime! Removing even a little bit of the protective slime layer of a fish leaves the fish open to fungus infection. Wetted, bare hands are best, and wetted cotton gloves are preferred over wetted wool gloves.
• Use soft, knotless nets or no net at all—try using a fish sling.
• Unhook the fish using a pair of long nosed pliers. If the fish is deeply hooked, or you can't remove the hook, cut the line as close to the hook as you can.
• Don't squeeze the fish, as you will causeinternal organ damage.
• Don't handle a fish by the gills or theeyes, this will kill them.
• Try to release your fish in a quiet patch of water so it can swim into the current again when it's ready.
• If your fish does not immediately swim away, revive it by holding it correctly oriented, facing upstream. Move it forwards and back to keep water running through its gills. Be patient, this may take a bit of time. When the fish begins to struggle, let it swim away.

Factors affecting fish survival (if it seems unlikely that your fish will live, consider keeping it if it is a legal fish):
• Where it has been hooked – hooks piercing the eye, gill, or brain area usually results in the death of a fish.
• A fish with bleeding gills is unlikely to survive.
• If there is a large temperature difference between where the fish was hooked and the surface water temperature, this increases the amount of stress the fish is subjected to.
• When some non-salmonids are caught in deep water, the pressure difference between the surface and that where it was caught will inflate the swim bladder to the point where it will push the fish's stomach out its mouth. There is little chance of these fish surviving after release.

From the Atlantic Salmon Foundation:

Catch and Release Angling

In working toward the return of sustainable populations of wild Atlantic salmon, many different parties have a role to play. In aquaculture, rigorous standards and responsible practices to keep the wild species out of harms way are necessary. In agriculture, pesticides used in the field must be kept out of streams to protect fish. Likewise, the impact of forestry and hydro infrastructures must be regulated in light of the changes that they bring to the river's own ecosystem.
Salmon anglers also have a role and responsibility in protecting the populations of wild Atlantic salmon, and it's best summed up by the practice of Catch and Release. The overriding goal of a catch and release program is toward the survival of the species: a carefully caught and gently released wild salmon will live to spawn, increasing prospects for future generations. In fact, the odds in favour of survival are close to 100% when these proper catch and release techniques are used in the correct environment:
• River Conditions - High water temperature and low water levels are particularly stressful to Atlantic salmon. An angler who fishes in these conditions is unnecessarily limiting the chances that the salmon will survive.
• Equipment - Barbless hooks are strongly recommended. Conventional barbed hooks can be easily adapted by simply flattening the barb with a pair of pliers. If a net must be used, a knotless cotton mesh is preferable, as these reduce the chance of injuring the fish.
• Care and Handling - An exhausted fish needs special help, and this starts with keeping it in the water. A hooked salmon should be played sensibly and respectfully. When you're ready to bring the fish in for release, support it in its natural upright position, facing into the current and keeping handling down to a minimum. There's no need to hurry, and the extra recuperation time will increase the salmon's odds of survival. Executed correctly, these methods will enable the fish to swim away on its own.
• Hook Removal - The maxim of keeping the fish submerged still (and always) applies. Whenever possible, bring the salmon into a spot of quiet water before removing your hook. Being careful not to squeeze the fish, gently remove the hook with pliers or your forefinger and thumb. Sometimes, you may be obliged to cut your line near the fly to spare the salmon.
• Trophies - Anglers who swear by the catch and release philosophy understand that the mark of a successful day's angling on a salmon river comes from photographs and videotape taken while the salmon stays underwater, and the satisfaction of watching a wild salmon swim away to preserve the species.

The Atlantic Salmon Federation and its regional councils and affiliates strongly support the practice of Catch and Release, and encourage all responsible anglers to do likewise. Due to the ASF's efforts, Catch and Release instructions are now included in many provinces' fishing license packages. The ASF has also supported research into the effectiveness of proper catch and release methods, and operates an incentive program, which anglers can join by submitting detailed written testimonials of their catch and release experiences with a witness signature.

And if you really, really must have a photo more info from the ASF:

How to Photograph a Catch & Release Fish
1. Have help. Either make settings on the camera before the angling or use a point and shoot camera. Give it to your partner befor the angling session. And be sure there is film in the camera. (Cameras empty at the key moment can happen!)
2. Let your partner get into position, and tell him/her what you are going to do. Alert your partner before you take the fish out of the water.
3. With wet hands support the fish under the forward part of its body while keeping it in the water, with the fish pointed upstream to help its recovery. With rod tucked under your arm, transfer your other hand to the base of the tail.
4. Keep the fish in the water as much as possible. With your photo partner warned, raise the wild Atlantic salmon out of the water for only a few seconds, and certainly for less than 10 seconds. TAKE TWO IMAGES!
5. Return the fish to the water and gently release the hook and let the fish swim gently away from your hands.
6. Put the camera away, where the images will be protected.
7. At home, take pride in having mastered not just the techniques of Catch & Release, but having mastered the techniques of photographing the moments when you actually release an Atlantic salmon back into the wild.

#193853 - 04/10/03 06:28 PM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Some good info for all to keep in mind.

Whether you support required C&R or not, there are many fisheries out there in which you don't have a choice and these are some things to follow as a responsible angler regardless of your feelings when required by law to release!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#193854 - 04/11/03 02:15 AM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have been carrying a waterproof disposible with me. I want to get an opportunity to get some pictures of fish underwater, or one of those half in, half out pix. Anyone have any luck doing that? Of course I'd actually have to get my damned yardwork (bulldozed an acre of scrub brush for lawn...why? beats the hell out of me, I'll just have to mow it this summer.) and go fishing to try it out. eek

#193855 - 04/11/03 03:55 AM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Move it forwards and back
confused

It is better to hold the fish in a bit of current than to rock them. It makes them dizzy eek

#193856 - 04/11/03 11:54 PM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Stihlhead, From the Catch & Release Foundation Web Site, I would suggest reviving the fish with it's head facing upstream and let current move the water through it's gills, if possible, in clear water-

MMTo revive the fish, hold it under the belly and by the tail, keep it in an upright position underwater, do not move the fish back and forth** (this is also a good time to get a measurement and take a photo). If you are fishing in a river or stream, hold the fish facing the current. Be patient and give the fish as much time as it needs to recover and swim away on its own.

**There is a currently difference in opinion amongst the experts about whether or not to move the fish back and forth when reviving. We will keep you posted with any statistical information as it comes available.

#193857 - 04/12/03 05:21 AM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: W. WA
Good info, one of the best thing is to:

Quote:
Use appropriate tackle, not too light, so you can play your fish quickly.
Couple years ago I saw this guy with a fish on and trying to get his pipe going at the same time! The fish was just holding in the current and dead tired. I kidd you not. I couldn't believe it. I think he was having "River runs through it" moment or something LOL.

#193858 - 04/12/03 05:33 AM Re: Proper C&R Techniques
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
Quote:
Originally posted by Double Haul:

If your fish does not immediately swim away, revive it by holding it correctly oriented, facing upstream. Move it forwards and back to keep water running through its gills. Be patient, this may take a bit of time. When the fish begins to struggle, let it swim away.
When I find the info I'll post it, but it has been shown that moving the fish back and forth in the water to revive it does damage gill fillaments. Inherent in the fishes biology the gills are designed for water to flow one way only. maybe salmo can pop in on this one.

kinda like certain parts of are anatomy eek

beer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |