Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195402 - 04/26/03 12:39 AM Sol Duc Springers
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Getting about time, hard fish to "decode" but worth it. Wanna trade some hard won tips?? We have done pretty good the last 5 years, looking to do better this year. We don't spot & line em' we fish .......... laugh

#195403 - 04/27/03 01:03 AM Re: Sol Duc Springers
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Chrome,
I can't say I have any really special tips to trade, but I would enjoy hearing what you have figured out. I have always been able to hit a few with by fluttering spoons in deep pools. They also respond well to spinners. I have caught a fair number drifting big marabou flies (not on the Sol Duc). It seems that bait divers are trick, but I have never tried them. What tricks do you have up your sleeve?

#195404 - 04/27/03 12:43 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
We got one on a spinner that I can remember as it was a hoot! It was a bright sunny day and we were on the fish, had taken a couple out of this one hole. My buddy picks up my 6 1/2' med-hev. spin rod I took along for who knows why. Well its got this cheapo spin reel loaded with 8 lb and a pen tac #3 all black summer-run spinner on the end. The fish are all stacked at the head of the pool, deep water 10-15' he flicks a shot to the tail and starts ripping that lil spinner about 2' under the surface. As it nears the boat out from the depths comes a chromer. a big one..hammers the spinner and starts tearing up the hole backflips, power-runs, the whole bit. After about 3-4 circuits of the pool the springer is still hot but the reel has had enough, locks-up, rod takes a mighty bend and the ultragreen cracks off. He takes the rod throws it to the back of the drift boat reachs into the cooler for a beer looks at me and sez "now you see chrome why I don't like trout rods on springers"......... thumbs

#195405 - 04/28/03 11:49 AM Re: Sol Duc Springers
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
have you guys fished for springers on the solduc this year, have ya caught any, this is the one river i promise to fish before i have to move (washington = taxes) so chrome, if you need someone to tag along and help ya catch some springers, jus holler, see ya around..

#195406 - 04/28/03 01:28 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Rockhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
Went out on friday and boy was it a beautiful day. Dropped by whitcomb dimmel for the heck of it. Watched juvenile salmon slashing the surface of the pool. Hiked around the bear creek rec area, stonefiy, caddisfly hatch. Lucky I didn't get injured when i accidentally stepped into a hole the size of my boot. No fish, was able to scout out a few decent summer spots.

#195407 - 04/29/03 11:45 AM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Gottagofish Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
I am on a mission to capture the elusive Sol Duc Springer. I bank fish and for the past two years I have had only 1 chance. Last year in a downpour, with not one person around, I was at the bark hole an hour before dark, watching the rain just soak me. I was getting a bit bummened as i was heading back to Seattle as soon as i was done at this spot. Right before it was getting dark I was tossing a #4 Mepps Aglia not really paying attention as i was kinda gathering up my gear, just holding the rod, letting the current work the spinner. And suddenly KABOOM, I thought my arm was getting yanked off. I had 10#maxima, 8.5 med heavy Lamiglas, and a sedona spinning reel. This was the first time I had ever hooked a springer anywhere. This fish brutalized me for about 30 minutes before i even got a chance to see it as it was now about dark. I finaly got the fish to the bank 25# easy, i let it roll around a bit more and i set my rod down and just reached down and kinda scooped it up and tossed it up the bank next to me. I did not realize that where I was standing the bank was kinda on a slope. I saw the fish start to slide down toward the water, so i just flopped on it like a loose football on a rainy muddy field and sure as sh-- it just kind of squirted out from under me and splash right back in the water and GONE,GONE,GONE. My spinner had fallen off when i tossed the fish up the bank. I sat there n the dark for an hour without saying a word and just getting drenched. I walked up to my truck in my soaked gear and drove straight to Seattle without a change of clothes. a tune on the radio, or a word spoken. I am now on serious mission.....

#195408 - 04/29/03 02:13 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
I was at 3 rivers tackle store yesterday and Steve down there had a 27.5# in a cooler on ice. NICE,BIG FISH . buy a boat from him and I bet he would tell you where he got it on the Duc

#195409 - 04/29/03 03:02 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

gotta go, wanna hook up sometime and hit the duc? is the bark hole you mentioned deep?

#195410 - 04/30/03 03:54 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

I was standing next to Steve from 3 rivers when he bought that Springer at the Forks Thriftway. There is no such thing as a Sol Duc Springer, and no place known as the bark hole. These guys are all smoking crack.

#195411 - 04/30/03 05:01 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
I fished the Bark hole last summer and there was a bear on top of the cliff. I've never returned. Very deep and slow hole

#195412 - 04/30/03 05:37 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
That wasn't a bear confused that was Gutz eek

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#195413 - 04/30/03 06:04 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
GottaGoFish;
That is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard. I too would be on a mission.

JG HaHa!

#195414 - 05/01/03 01:44 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

can someone personal message me the directions to the bark hole and btw, what depth is it? does it look like good bobber and jig water?a chartruese bucktail can work wonders on springers..i will b e coming from auburn

#195415 - 05/02/03 01:32 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Great job Guys. Next time you go to the Bark Hole and can't find a place to park, let alone fish, blame your big mouth blabbing selves. Maybe the Natives can rename it to the Cow Duc.

#195416 - 05/02/03 02:58 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
Kyle,
I respect your view, but remember, we're talking about Forks. Everyone knows about the fishing in that area already. At least 50% of the guys on this BB already know about the bark hole but the people that frequent such distant locations are typically the locals. I used to fish that hole all the time and the most people I ever saw was probably 5. I seriously don't think we have anything to worry about. If it was a puget sound river then I'd be a little more worried. Compared to all the steelhead/salmon fisherman in this state, only a small portion are a member of this BB. Relax buddy......
Cuttie

#195417 - 05/03/03 12:43 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
There are no secrets in fishing, there is just knowledge to be learned.All of us have had special holes and spots that treated us well, and the other guy is just trying to find his spot too.
Sad story, I would be on the same quest!

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#195418 - 05/03/03 12:56 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Gottogofish

I know exactly how you feel, had that same thing happen to me last summer. It almost knocks the wind out of ya. Especially when you have two buddies watching the entire thing and they are laughing so hard they almost fall to the ground.

#195419 - 05/03/03 04:58 PM Re: Sol Duc Springers
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
seriously kyle_a everyone in wa.knows where the bark hole is. rolleyes

#195420 - 05/04/03 12:11 AM Re: Sol Duc Springers
wintersteelhead-woman Offline
Egg

Loc: Poulsbo
Bark Hol, no big secret. Was in Sitka with my boyfriend 2 yrs. ago & even the locals know where it's located. Head towards La Push, turn right on Quinault Prairie Rd, turn left @ first road on left. Looks for all the cars. Forget waders, bring boots to climb roots in & a very long rope. Just a big fish bowl. I felt like a bank maggot when we fished there. (once was plenty). Any complaints about giving directions, please direct them to a person that has written WAY to many articles in the magazines. Giving detailed directions to what was once very fine fishing. Now they are over fished, garbage every where and campers parked for period of up to a week or more at a time. Bark hole is no secret.

#195421 - 05/04/03 01:21 AM Re: Sol Duc Springers
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wintersteelhead-woman:
Head towards La Push, turn right on Quinault Prairie Rd, turn left @ first road on left. Looks for all the cars.

what prairie road was that rofl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
captainchris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1273 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645415 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |