Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201769 - 06/20/03 09:24 PM Sturgeon Season Ending
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Just heard a report that the Columbia River sturgeon season will close a week from today on the 27th. Sounds like the river has been stacked with boats both private and charter. And don't forget the gill nets have had a sturgeon season too...

#201770 - 06/20/03 10:07 PM Re: Sturgeon Season Ending
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
It figures.

I was just recently introduced to the sturgeon fishing in the estuary, and came away thoroughly impressed with the fight those fish give a person in shallow water. I had them come clear out of the water like steelhead and then peel off a hundred yards of line on a scorching run. What a ball.

Do you know, Grandpa, if the fish that are CnR'd are included in the quota in any way? I remember the checker asking everyone how many they'd released after checking the ones they'd bonked. I wonder this because I know of guys that CnR quite a few keepers after bonking their one. It would suck if those fish were somehow counted against the quota - maybe in some "incidental kill" way?

#201771 - 06/21/03 12:49 AM Re: Sturgeon Season Ending
racerdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: longview
Goharley, CnR sturgeon are not counted in the quota. As of July 1st it will be open for retention from the Wauna power lines to Bonneville. But im in disagreeance in opening one part of the river and closing another, it seems to me that it puts more pressure in a smaller area. Hence the larger taking of fish than WDFW estimated. Again they were off the mark and most of the comments ive heard from sportsman when this weird closure happened last year were right on the mark, that it would in fact cause more to be caught.Sounds like when someone one is considered "book smart" but then lacks common sense. They need to rely a little more on the sportsmans input. IMO

#201772 - 06/21/03 07:29 AM Re: Sturgeon Season Ending
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Collection of catch and release data is used when seasons are set as a component of many factors used in the decision to set a certain quota. The act of catching and releasing has some sort of impact on fish. The percentage of fish that are mortally impacted is debatable but nonetheless their is an impact so they count. The quota is strictly retained fish so C&R numbers don't count in that tally. Most guys at WDFW that I have talked to hate the quota system because it is so unpredictable. The pressure on the fishery is sometimes unpredictable too. The sturgeon fishery in the Columbia has really taken off in popularity hence the early closures. Recent on the water reports from the Columbia near Astoria count as many as 4-500 boats...that is like a Buoy 10 crowd.. Add to that the gill net fisheries both tribal and non tribal and you have a scenario just like salmon...fish the crap out of the resource then close it and set shorter and shorter seasons in the future. There is just too much pressure on all of our fisheries in my opinion.

#201773 - 06/21/03 12:06 PM Re: Sturgeon Season Ending
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
I read in the paper the other day.That Oregon and Wa. want to implement a 5 fish per year limit on keepers.Starting next year.
They say this will increase fishing in the estuary by 2 days,and up river by eleven days.What a crock.
I dont mind having restrictions,but why not keep it open year round with only certain days of the week fishable.
I think there are other things they can implement to help out.

#201774 - 06/21/03 12:37 PM Re: Sturgeon Season Ending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HntnFsh:
What a crock.
I dont mind having restrictions,but why not keep it open year round with only certain days of the week fishable.
I think there are other things they can implement to help out.
They are asking for some public comment, maybe you would like to give some on Aug.1st and 2nd.

================================

June 19, 2003 Contact: Brad James, WDFW, (360) 906-6716
Pat Frazier, ODFW, (503) 657-2000, ext. 253

Reduction in sturgeon annual limit proposed

A proposal being considered by Oregon and Washington fishery managers that would reduce statewide annual limits for sport-caught sturgeon will be the topic of a public meeting July 14 in Vancouver, Wash.

The session, sponsored jointly by the two states, will run from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Water Resources Education Center, 4600 SE Columbia Way in Vancouver.

The proposal would reduce the number of sport-caught sturgeon that could be kept annually from 10 fish to five. The proposed annual-limit reduction is expected to allow an increase in the number of days a year anglers may keep sturgeon. For instance, on the lower Columbia River the reduction is expected to add 10 to15 days to the non-estuary (Wauna/Cathlamet to Bonneville) retention season and about two days to the estuary (mouth to Wauna/Cathlamet) retention season under the current regulation structure.

The meeting will include discussion of the content and timing of the proposed reduction regulation, compliance and enforcement issues, potential changes to catch record card requirements, the effect on catch estimates and a possible banding requirement for kept sturgeon.

Additional information on the proposals may be obtained by contacting the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Region 5 office at (360) 696-6211, or the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Columbia River Management Office at (503) 657-2000, ext.253.

The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission is to be briefed on the sturgeon annual limit proposal, and public testimony will be taken, in a hearing Aug. 1-2 in Bellingham, with a final recommendation and commission action slated for Dec. 5-6 in Port Townsend. The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission will consider the sturgeon annual limit and other sport fishing regulation changes at its Aug. 8 meeting in Astoria, Ore.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
6 registered (Excitable Bob, SpoonFed, Carcassman, 20 Gage, snit, steely slammer), 1275 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |