Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202441 - 06/29/03 03:51 PM Westport salmon techniques
juggernaut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: federal wannabea way
I will be fishing Westport over the fourth of july weekend. Although I have fished out of there many times before, it has not been for salmon. Can anyone tell me if the westport scene is a herring/herring & flasher fishery only, or will the same trolling hardware that I use in the sound work just as well? Do they still post the GPS cord. for the day at the docks? What is your favorite set-up for ocean fish? Any input would be appreciated.

#202442 - 06/29/03 05:46 PM Re: Westport salmon techniques
Sullie Offline
Spawner

The only way i have fished out there was by mooching herring. I have heard people say they get fish with herring/dodger set up. It wouldnt hurt to try something different either.

#202443 - 06/29/03 08:04 PM Re: Westport salmon techniques
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I know that last year, charters did well by trolling a single hook with 6 - 8 big red and black beads just above the hook about 40" behind a flasher. That's it.

#202444 - 06/30/03 07:00 PM Re: Westport salmon techniques
juggernaut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Boy, I guess nobody fishes at Westport anymore. Come on people, how about a little feedback. Even something general would be great. I'm not asking for your best kept secerets. Remember, someday you may want someone to reply to your query. Is my question that dumb? It wouldn't be a first!

#202445 - 07/01/03 08:34 AM Re: Westport salmon techniques
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

I haven't fished there since the 1970's but I doubt it's changed much. They take you to the fish and you drop down a cut or whole herring with a banana weight. A mooching setup. If that's what it turns out to be myself I use about eight feet of leader, longer than most, with a barrel about three feet above the hooks. The barrel prevents twists and stops kelp from sliding down. Pre-tie your hooks, 3/0 4/0 should do. No sliding hooks. Weight wise you should have a 45 degree angle on your line. Tie quality snap swivels on both the main line and the leader so you can change easily. Cut plugging will be the key though. Although you hear it should be tight rolls I like mine to swim in a big flopping circle. Playing around with hook placement can usually produce that.

#202446 - 07/01/03 10:08 AM Re: Westport salmon techniques
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
One more question for you Westport vets. What rules of thumb do you use for crossing the bar there?? What should you watch out for?? Know how to catch the fish just never ventured out into big blue!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#202447 - 07/01/03 11:31 AM Re: Westport salmon techniques
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
Deep 6, 3 feet of leader, green or blue silver hoochie over a hook. Or same set up, no hoochie, whole or cut plug herring.

Stay away from the sunken jetty on the south side.

#202448 - 07/01/03 02:46 PM Re: Westport salmon techniques
Lunch Time Offline
Juvenille at Sea

It doesn't matter what you use if you find the fish. These fish are feeding, unlike estuary fish or fish in the rivers.

I prefer mooching a plug cut but different strokes for different folks.

Cross the bar on an incoming tide. Also, the coast guard broadcasts when the bar is closed for specific size vessels or all vessels.

Good luck and no chumming!!!!

LT

#202449 - 07/01/03 07:35 PM Re: Westport salmon techniques
juggernaut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the input. Is it ever advantages to use a flasher, or only when you can't find schooling/feeding fish?

#202450 - 07/02/03 12:42 AM Re: Westport salmon techniques
bowhunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Newcastle wash
Westport is a real easy fishery, I would say alot more so than fishing the bays or rivers... I have had good luck going 12# ultra green 2-4 # weight with flasher bar and about 8 ft leader with just a cut plug at about 18 pulls... I dont go out far just enough to get out of the rough water of the bar then just start fishin! watch that bar though dude it gets hairy I like to cross it on a slack or out going tide, last year I attempted a incoming tide and it wasn't pretty! I had life jackets and bouy's tied all over me trying to get turned to get out of that mess....... dont second guess yourself out there if you dont think the bar looks good dont go into it......

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Sidedrifter, 1 invisible), 1424 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |