THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#209813 - 09/06/03 01:26 AM Breathable Waders- help?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
I have decided it is way to hot out for neoprene waders. I have been to sportco and GI Joe's and neither have what I am looking for- relatively cheap boot foots. I am not interested in Simms or any other brand for $400.00+
I think I will subscribe to the theory of replacing cheaper ones every two years or so. I am in the $100.00-250.00 price range. Hodgemans seem okay, but the Cabelas G2 and Gold Medals look better... am I missing something? Anyone with G2 or Gold Medal experience? Is there somewhere that is offering a great deal or better waders other than Cabelas?
Any opinions would be helpfull.
Thanks
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#209814 - 09/06/03 01:40 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
If you are going to drop the coin on a pair of Cabelas just so that you can utilize their warranty once a year, do yourself a favor and drop $150-$199 on a pair of Bailey's or Simms (Bailey's Lightweights, Simms Freestone, Simms Lightweight).

The Simms breathe the best and for more most, have the best cut and the Bailey's have a warranty that is almost identical to Cabelas (but count yourself unlucky if you ever have to utilize the Bailey's warranty as these waders have a near perfect track record....cant say the same about the Cabelas!!)

#209815 - 09/06/03 05:25 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Cabelas breathables = crap.
Try the Baileys, they're in your price range.

#209816 - 09/06/03 10:58 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I got a pair of Bailey's this spring and I can't be happier with them. Hurry up and get a pair. As soon as you do, you'll wonder why it ever took you so long, and you'll pity all the schmucks in neoprenes. Getting skunked is much, much more fun when you're not drowning in your own sweat!

#209817 - 09/06/03 03:31 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Neurosis Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
Is there a local store that carries the bailey's?

Know the Toe!
http://www.cameltoe.org
My Website

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

#209818 - 09/06/03 04:51 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Isn't Bailey's a fly fishing mail-order catalog? Where do you puirchase Bailey Lightweights?
I appreciate the heads up! This is not an item I want to experiment with or learn from mistakes!
Thanks
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#209819 - 09/06/03 05:04 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

I'm pretty sure Kaufman's has Bailey's.

#209820 - 09/06/03 05:40 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I bought my Bailey lightweights at Ted's in Lynnwood.

#209821 - 09/06/03 05:45 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Neurosis Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
Anyone know of a store close to Auburn that carries them? I'd like to try a pair on before I buy them.

Know the Toe!
http://www.cameltoe.org
My Website

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

#209822 - 09/06/03 09:53 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by 3/0_in_my_eye:
I'm pretty sure Kaufman's has Bailey's.
They do. Give the Downtown store a call (206-448-0601) as they arent too far from 'ya and talk to either Gary, Greg or Jeff. All are good guys!

#209823 - 09/06/03 11:58 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
Thought Id put my .02 on this one. I recently purchased some of the new Simms freestones, and am very impressed. Time will tell, but so far so good. I was a long time hodgemans/cabelas customer for breathables and have not been impressed lately with the durability of either. The Freestones are only $149 at Auburn SM (just about the same price as hodgemans) and have a lifetime guarantee to boot.
Only complaint I have with them is no built in gravel guard.
Good luck
RL

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#209824 - 09/07/03 12:23 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
TheMojo Offline
Egg

I bought a pair of Cabela's breathables every other year for the past 6 years. I thought about it for a bit, and my buddy that guides in Montana has had his Simms for 8 years (200+ days a year on the water). He's still wearing the same pair of waders. You do the math. I bought a pair of Guide Weights...and have never been happier with a pair of waders in my 34 years of fishing.

Mojo

#209825 - 09/07/03 12:31 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Take Sparkeys advice.
The simms worked out great for my girlfriend and the size was a perfect fit, thanks ryan.

#209826 - 09/07/03 12:44 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Well don't buy Hodgmans. I'm on my second pair in a year. The first pair leaked in the crotch and this pair I have now all the tape on the seams in the neoprene feet has come off. It's a good thing that they are sewn and glued or they would probably leak also. I would send them back but I've put a few holes in them since May. It seems that no matter how you take care of them something always goes bad.

Jim

#209827 - 09/07/03 07:56 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Wow- sounds like I called that wrong. Simms and Baileys are sounding like the better wader over Cabela's, nothing like eating your words after half a dozen posts. I'll check out Auburn Sports and Kaufmans.
Thanks for the advice.

#209828 - 09/07/03 08:03 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Divers:
Take Sparkeys advice.
The simms worked out great for my girlfriend and the size was a perfect fit, thanks ryan.
Matt-
You are very welcome!!...I am happy to hear the waders were a good fit and are working out great!! thumbs

#209829 - 09/08/03 12:49 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey Sparkey, if I were to pick up a pair of Bailey's (I'm also in the market for some waders, I've gone thru three pairs of hodgemens already), will they work during hunting season, or would I freeze?

Thanks

Curtis

#209830 - 09/08/03 02:48 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
Hey Sparkey, if I were to pick up a pair of Bailey's (I'm also in the market for some waders, I've gone thru three pairs of hodgemens already), will they work during hunting season, or would I freeze?

Thanks

Curtis
I've sold a number of breathable waders to those duck hunting and I have a few good freinds who duck hunt in them and have no complaints. If you properly layer up, you will stay just as warm, if not warmer in breathables.

But if you wait around a couple months, Simms will be producing a bootfoot breathable wader at $199 (the Freestone Bootfoot Wader) which is made out of an almost identical material to the Bailey's. I have sold a number of the Freestone stocking foot waders since they were introduced a year ago and haven't seen a single wader come back due to leaks.

Those who seriously duck hunt in their breathables prefer the bootfoot route because it keeps their feet so much warmer.

#209831 - 09/08/03 07:56 AM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Did not even get a summer out of the dry pluss before patching the inside of the legs.They do not wear well at all.

#209832 - 09/09/03 02:05 PM Re: Breathable Waders- help?
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
Sparkey set me up with the Bailey's with built-in gravel guard for about $200 and I couldn't be happier.
Once you've worn breathables, you'll never wear neoprene again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bdscott, Skunked
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Driftin'), 198 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645464 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |