Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212343 - 09/23/03 11:52 PM releasing river caught salmon reg
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Man, I have looked and looked and can't find the reg that describes how to release a river caught salmon.

I am interested because I have seen a number of guys ticketed for using their feet to steer the fish back to the water. I'm not talking about kicking the fish, just helping it along with your feet. Who wants to grab ahold of a soreback chum and carry it? Anyone? Some over-zealous wardens out to balance the budget on the backs of us "outlaws".

Any help greatly appreciated....soap boxers not invited to speak.

And "no" I wasn't one of the poor *******s who got a ticket. I'm just thoroughly disgusted with state ticket whores.

Thanks

#212344 - 09/24/03 09:39 AM Re: releasing river caught salmon reg
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Wet hands are the best possible tool for handling a fish to be released. I suspect they consider a rubber boot to be a poor substitute, whether you WANT to touch that fishy or not.

If you don't bring it into water under 1' deep you usually don't have to touch it anyway.

#212345 - 09/24/03 10:15 AM Re: releasing river caught salmon reg
DJFISHS2XS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oak Harbor Wa
Its all about respect, you need to respect the fish you catch, even the chums, if you dont like the smell of them take up something else, or dont fish for them late in the year/run...DJ

#212346 - 09/24/03 11:19 AM Re: releasing river caught salmon reg
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Not doubting your story, but are you sure that is precisely what the ticket was for?

I've never gotten a ticket but I would think that the infraction would have to be cited on the ticket by code. Then you could research the infraction.

#212347 - 09/24/03 06:06 PM Re: releasing river caught salmon reg
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I hate to see these beautiful fish kicked back into the water. It must be the trout flyfisherman in me but, I always pick up my fish with wet hands, hold them facing upstream, and let them swim away fishy fishy fishy on their own will, even if it takes a couple minuts. I will say that it really sucks when a fish is taking it's time to swim away when it is very cold out and the water is freezing!!! cry

#212348 - 09/24/03 09:27 PM Re: releasing river caught salmon reg
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Good point, GoHarley....I'll have to ask my friend who one of several lucky recipients.....any infraction I have seen always has a RCW number.....but it has been so many years (at least 35) since I've gotten a fishing or hunting ticket, I'm not sure that they have the code.....but I'll check.

Interesting that no one rattled off exactly where I could find a reference, tho......I'm still looking for help there.

Also interesting is the comment that I need to respect the fish.....I agree and do......I "help" the fish back to water without picking them up....which only leads to dropping them on the rocks, especially with wet hands. Chum have a motor that never quits, and are next to impossible to get them to quit kicking.....when possible I don't remove them from the water more than necessary to back out my single barbless hook, however, undercut banks, branches, and large rocks always are a factor is how easy it is to release the fish. I shouldn't have to explain all this every time now, should I?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 968 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645427 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |