THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#221208 - 12/04/03 03:59 PM Forks Camping?
SteelyDon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Auburn
I am thinking of spending 3 or 4 days fishing the Forks area in the next month. Instead of hoteling it, I was hoping to use my motorhome. Can someone help me with where and what kind of camping is in or near Forks? I don't need power but would use it if it was available. Thx

#221210 - 12/04/03 04:55 PM Re: Forks Camping?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Three Rivers has hookups, a decent store and burger joint. Decent location too, depending on where you'll fish.

#221211 - 12/04/03 04:58 PM Re: Forks Camping?
SteelyDon Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Auburn
Thanks Kanektok Kid. But on a different note. What are you the Kanektok Kid? Have you been there or lived there? I've floated the Kanektok, also floated the Goodnews, Alagnek, Kisaralik, Kwethluk. Curious on your adventures. We make it an annual trip and try to find a new river each year, any suggestions for our next trip?

#221213 - 12/04/03 06:50 PM Re: Forks Camping?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
The State Park at Mora is open, too.

#221214 - 12/04/03 09:15 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
You've got Oxbow, Minnie's, and Cottonwood areas on the Hoh as well.

If you want power ... 101 RV Park in downtown Forks has hook-ups smile

Camping in Forks, in the winter??? There was a day I was young and stupid too smile Remember a night in the the Thirfty parking lot when I woke up with 9 degrees reading on the temp readerboard ... we were sleeping in the back with about two feet of blankets on top of us.

One way to have a decent play to stay when you fish here ... move here like I did smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#221215 - 12/04/03 09:22 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Or if you left have friends and family that still live there. laugh

Think Forks would be the worst place in the world to camp in winter. I can deal with cold and I can deal with hot but wet and damp combined with cold sucks.

#221216 - 12/04/03 11:03 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hi SteelyDon

1st think about where you want to fish and where you can fish. There is a state campground at Bear Creek on the upper Solduc. Lower Solduc/Quilleyute has 3 Rivers Resort (Great People and FANTASTIC Burgers) or the National Park campground at Mora. Going out of Forks, south towards the Hoh (about 15 min) you have the Bogie state campground (nice & well kept, showers etc). Down on the Hoh you have Oxbow and Cottonwood.

Hotels run $45-50 for 1 person & up.
Good Luck
Kev
Kev

#221217 - 12/04/03 11:17 PM Re: Forks Camping?
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Ahh memories of being young, dumb, and trying to save a buck. Wakeing up in the morning and having to scrape ice off both the outside and the inside of the windows. Or having it rain so hard on the roof that it sounded like you were inside one of Buddy Rich's drum heads. But you know we went there to catch fish and we did catch fish! It was worth it.

#221218 - 12/05/03 12:20 AM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted Bob:
One way to have a decent play to stay when you fish here ... move here like I did smile
Quote:
Originally posted by RICH G:
Or if you left have friends and family that still live there.
Or you could marry into a family that lives in forks like I did wink

#221219 - 12/05/03 02:32 AM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Id have to say Forks is a great place to live for a steelhead fisherman.

The bad thing is that every accept for fishing seems to go on hold, your lawn only gets mowed 2 or 3 times a year, I never got much sleep because I worked nights and fished every day. For 4 years I did almost nothing but rig gear and fish. Moving away hit me hard, I had a complete lifestyle change I went from fishing every day to almost never. Although I miss it very much I have found I was missing out on other things as well and was a bit selfish.

I doubt I will ever move back to forks, In some ways I dont want to. I found out that steelhead fishing isnt everything in life.

#221220 - 12/05/03 05:17 PM Re: Forks Camping?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Hmmm....ain't young no more, but still camp out in my van when fishing....guess saving a buck is still top priority. Besides, it is a lot easier to protect your boat when you are camped in something attached to it and you are packing shoot

#221221 - 12/05/03 05:39 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Id have to say Forks is a great place to live for a steelhead fisherman....

....I doubt I will ever move back to forks, In some ways I dont want to. I found out that steelhead fishing isnt everything in life.
Must have met a girl that wanted out of forks... eh?

Still fishing but with the other pink worm.

eek :p

#221222 - 12/05/03 09:38 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife was born and raised in Forks and loves it there.

Forks is a beautiful place and I loved living there, but unless you work in the woods, guide, or work in the prison there isnt much else.

I worked for the QUileute tribe as a cop for almost 4 years and the working environment was less than to be desired but I didnt worry about it much as the fishing was good. I always knew I would have to move on and kept putting it off. Well I waited to long and there was no more money and just like that I had 30 days to find another cop job. I panniced and took the first thing that came my way so I ended up in the hell hole I am now.

I would really like to get back to the area but not back to Forks.

#221223 - 12/05/03 10:04 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Stock up the motorhome and head for the campground at Mora. One of the nicest places to stay in the entire area.

#221224 - 12/05/03 10:59 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on Rich beer

#221225 - 12/06/03 03:47 PM Re: Forks Camping?
griz59 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: federal way
THREE RIVER when ever i go over. went last weekend rivers blown, had drinks by the campfire the first night. ruby's birthday the next nice . GREAT FOLKS

#221226 - 12/06/03 03:53 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forks is a great place with great people... lived there for 10 years, was single for three of them and fished most all the time, got married whiel I lived there (fished a little less), had 2 kids while I lived there (fished less yet), etc. Moved when I got a different job (fishing went down to almost zip). Would I recommend it? Sure. But its not for everybody. I think happy people in Forks are a special breed. I will say that with the cost of gas being a lot higher is a huge factor for those living in Forks because trips to "anywhere" get expensive.

HELLO FORKSITES!

#221227 - 12/07/03 01:35 AM Re: Forks Camping?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Quote:
I did almost nothing but rig gear and fish. I went from fishing every day to almost never. Although I miss it very much I have found I was missing out on other things as well and was a bit selfish.
I found out that steelhead fishing isnt everything in life.
Rich,
You could have written my bio in those words.
Thanks for the reminder that people are more worthy of our love and attention than things, and that includes fishing. Peace, brother.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#221228 - 12/07/03 08:31 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Pat Graham Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Forks
Ha Ha Piper. I will remember that the next time you are up. And your wife loves Forks. You two should of came and watched the game on Saturday with the rest of the family. It was an awesome game. Meridian won 34-10. Cody played one hell of a game.

#221229 - 12/07/03 08:45 PM Re: Forks Camping?
Anonymous
Unregistered

wink
Thats cool Pat... If I'd have know about the game ahead of time I might've met up...

I did put the finishing touches on a new 1141 and 1143 this weekend so they are all ready to be broke in....

Are you gonna be around over christmas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 770 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645422 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |