Good news for Lake Washington salmon.

Check out this article.

http://enterprisenewspapers.com/index.cfm?action=story&storyid=200425116175

Cig smile

#232047 - 02/07/04 08:52 PM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
Both of these streams have much larger cutthroat populations than Salmon. Because of degraded habitat the streams are practically useless as Salmon habitat, not sure that this will really help Salmon much. But will put more cutties in the lake, which we do enjoy catching.

NEN

#232048 - 02/07/04 11:01 PM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
NEN,

I know these creeks quite well, and there is a lot of sockeye and silvers spawning in the lower reaches. PSA (Mercer Island chapter or Renton chapter) places spawning barrels in them. A long time resident of Lake Ballinger raises and releases coho into Ballinger and they swim down McAleer creek into Lake Washington When I was a little kid, the lake washington cutts could make it up the creek to Ballinger and behond. But when I-5 was built, a weir was constructed under the freeway blocking fish passage and creating too much cfs. These creeks are deffenitly salvageable.

Cig what

#232049 - 02/08/04 12:03 AM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
Cig,

Sorry if I came of wrong here, everything we can do is good, it sure as hell beats paving another parcel and putting a strip mall on it. And maybe a few sockeye do spawn in these creeks, I just have never seen the creeks on anyones counts before. As far as spawning barrels, any idea on the success of said barrels. Seems the majority of the fish(coho)that returned to spawn died prespawn.

I can not find the exact numbers, but know that the populations of cutthroat have exploded on all small tribs to lake washington while the coho and stealhead numbers have disappeard. In a healthy system, such as the satsop for example, Coho and Stealhead smolts outnumber cutthroat 200 and 10 to 1, respectively. In many of these small Lk Wa tribs those numbers are reversed to 10 cutthroat to 1 coho smolt, and the stealhead numbers are gone. Please do not quote these numbers, but I know they are close, I just do not have the exact ones in front of me.

The reason for this is all about the degraded habitat, coho smolts spend so long in the inhospitable streams that they are out competed with by cutthroat, who do not need to spend the same amount of time in the streams.

Overall, I think the addition to the area that fish will be able to spawn is good, I just feel that it could be spent better in areas on the Cedar River. Pull back a few levies, buy quality habitat, create spawning channels, etc..
Thanks for pointing out the article, and I will look into the numbers of fish that are spawning in these tribs closer. beer

NEN cool

#232050 - 02/08/04 12:46 AM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
FishPirate Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Wa
Where do I get a hold of these numbers, or other tribs of Lake Washington for that matter?

#232051 - 02/08/04 07:36 PM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
I grew up in Lynnwood and recall vast #'s of sockeye spawning in swamp creek. I don't believe the sockeye are as prevelant or wonder if they make it up that creek anymore at all. Maybe there is hope there too...

#232052 - 02/08/04 11:56 PM Re: Lake Wash. System Update
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
Jeff'ed',

I have a friend that lives on Swamp Creek....
sockeye and silvers by the thousands every
year and some years he has seen king too.

Cig smile

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |