Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265393 - 03/09/04 04:48 PM ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH
corkyking Offline
Parr

Loc: Ocean Shores, WA
“When I was 16 I was appalled at how stupid my parents were. When I was 21 I was amazed at how much they had learned in just 5 years”
Mark Twain

ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH

Charles Sykes is the author of DUMBING DOWN OUR KIDS. He recently gave high school and college graduates a list of eleven things they did not learn in school. In his book, he talks about how feel-good, politically-correct teaching has created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair; get used to it.

Rule 2: The world won't care about yourself-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone unless you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes. Learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes, and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try cleaning the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades; they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This, of course, doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

#265394 - 03/12/04 11:42 PM Re: ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw

#265395 - 03/13/04 08:21 PM Re: ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH
BratBonker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell WA
Harsh, but from what i have heard true, i am only in 9th grade and so far school sux major! It wouldnt be so bad if you didnt have all the homework to cope with. Espically when ur folks are pressering you to do sports or do what THEY want you to do, any trying to manage a social life and a job! Ok my venting is over, i need to go FISHING!!!

#265396 - 03/13/04 11:29 PM Re: ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Brat...parents have a way about them where they always want you to do the things they want you to do. I think when it comes to sports parents want to participate and take most sports way too seriously. Your best bet is to figure out what is fun and do it . If it ain't fun stop doing it. You'll have lots of time later on to be serious. If your folks still force you into sports so they can relive their childhoods tell them grandpa said to knock it off. You'll be fine.

#265397 - 03/14/04 12:37 AM Re: ELEVEN RULES THAT SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I do agree about the homework thing. I did excellerated classes as a freshman, and figured out I was learning the same things as people in normal classes, they just had less homework. How is that excellerated?

If I may make a suggestion, get yourself into the Running Start program as a junior. Even if you don't plan to go to college, having a free AA is very helpful. When I enlist (Army), I automatically get a $250/mo raise just for having my AA.

Curtis

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, FishCatcher, wolverine), 1453 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |