Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#244159 - 05/15/04 10:03 AM Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

Loc: KIrkland, Wa, USA
I just started using power pro line for drift fishing and was wondering how visible, to the fish, the line is...30 lb test power pro has the diameter of regular non-braided 8 lb test , but does it have the same visibility as regualar non-braided 8 lb test? I love the sensitivity of the non stretch braided, but if its much more visible to the fish and is going to spook the fish then it just isnt worth it. Thanks in advance!!! Jim

#244160 - 05/15/04 11:16 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

JK:

For a rather critical editorial of Power Pro and other super-braid lines see the May issue of StS. Herzog gives his opinion in his direct style, and it was discussed in a thread here a few weeks ago.

Mike

#244161 - 05/15/04 11:30 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

sts? do u remember the name of the thread?

#244162 - 05/15/04 11:39 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the thread:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017772#000000

The discussion quickly went away from the super braid topic...but ya might find some good data there.

Mike

#244163 - 05/15/04 11:49 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

thanks mike....sounds like he likes braided for floating only, which is cool cuz i tend to float a lot, but im still curious on how much more visible a braided with 8 lb diameter measures up to 8 lb mono. Thanks again

#244164 - 05/15/04 01:49 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
JK
IMHO, I believe there are bigger issues than the visibility of braids when using them for drift fishing. They are abrasion around rocks, retying good knots and the ability to break off when snagged. But the good news is that you can solve these problems and visibilty too by simply adding a short section of monofilament to the end of your braided line. This often referred to as a shock tippet and is very similar to using a leader off a fly line in flyfishing. This short section (2-4') of mono can be whatever suits your situation best, like low vis, high abrasion, stiff, soft, high test, low test, green, dark, clear or whatever. Then you can retie good knots easier and break off at the terminal end instead of leaving braid in the river. As far as connecting knots between braid and mono, I have found the double-uni to be the easiest and most secure connection. Hope this helps.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#244165 - 05/15/04 02:19 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
Don't do it...you'll hook your nicest fish and lose it due to abraded line.

If visibility s what you are looking for, use the yellow or green hi-vis lines for mainline and something more subtle like Maxima for leader material.

#244166 - 05/15/04 02:40 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've used the Power Pro high-vis with some good success this year. For spoon fishing added a 36" leader of maxima Ultragreen.

If you read Zog's comments in the May StS, his points are valid ones, but I think they would be seen to different degrees depending on a lot of factors.

Most likely due to my lack of thumb coordination I have fits with some mono's on the baitcasters. The only problem I've had with the PP is line over-run on casts...the stuff is so limp it'll roll over the spool while going out and cause an immediate halt to your spoon/bait in mid-air. No backlash as a result of the stopping...but ya can lose bunches of bait that way....:-(

I've got Ultragreen on it now, but (for me) I don't care for it...too stiff in comparison to the Spectra type lines. Gonna try some Maxima Super Braid in maybe 30 lb. - not for the strength, but at that diameter it shouldn't buy and maybe I can minimize the spool over-roll with a little more thumb. (God knows I've got 10 thumbs...one should be able to accurately smooth out a cast!)

Mike

#244167 - 05/15/04 02:47 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
IMHO power pro is only good for plug pulling. But man its the shiat for that. Moss green 30lb 8lb dia straight to a hot shot snap, no leader

#244168 - 05/15/04 03:19 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

when i was talking about visibilty i was looking for a line with low visibilty for the fish...so maybe the question is this...is an 8 lb mono less visible than a power pro with the same diameter? I assume the power pro may be more visible, but if so, is it much of a difference? Also, is it pretty much agreed upon that power pro would be a good choice for float fishing?

#244169 - 05/15/04 09:36 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Sidedrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Orting, WA
I have been drift fishing power pro 20lb moss green with a 3' leader of 10lb maxima for steelhead and 30lb power pro with 3' leader of 12lb for silvers the past 2 yrs. Speaking for my self, I have cought more fish since I made the switch from straight maxima to this set up. Visibility of the moss green line has not been a problem. I do know that I can feel every little inch of the bottem with the power pro and I have pulled some fish out of log jams that I never would have with mono. About the only thing that I don't like about power pro is that it has to be kept wet to cast the best and that makes for some cold hands in the winter.

#244170 - 05/16/04 04:24 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
MetalheadRon Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton Wa.
Yes 8 lb. mono is less visible than 8 lb. diameter powerpro. But even better 10 lb. flourocarbon is even less visible. Get GOOD flourocarbon though. Use it as a shock leader as mentioned above.

#244171 - 05/16/04 10:15 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

Thanks Metalheadron & Fishinthemsteelies. I think what I'm gonna do is stick with the power pro. The biggest reason is I always fish from the bank (unfortunately I dont have a boat or friend with a river boat<<

#244172 - 05/16/04 10:51 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

JK:

The mag is "Salmon - Trout - Steelheader".

You should be able to find it at your local market.

I have been using a 4' leader..never tried a tippet. Using a 8 - 10lb. flouro-carbon or Mono leader means that if (when) you hang up you can bust off the leader and not lose all your terminal gear conncected above it on a 3/way swivel.

I've only fished this stuff for one year, so the other guys are the experts here...but glad to share what little I do know.

Mike

#244173 - 05/17/04 10:21 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Stick with the poo poo mono for drift fishing. \:D

However for plugs and float fishing it rocks.

#244174 - 05/17/04 10:52 AM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
JK Offline
Spawner

Why is mono so much better for drifting?

#244175 - 05/17/04 12:49 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
JK,

Drift fishing is fishing where the rocks are. Two MAJOR points to consider:
1. Mono is more abrasion resistant than braid. period.
2. Mono is easier to tie a quick, strong secure knot with. period.
Nuff said.

However, it is possible to have the advantages of the braid (sensitivity, strength, castability, etc) as a main line and still retain the benefits of mono on the "business" end of your line as has been described earlier in this thread. That is if you don't mind an extra knot in your line. Remember you only need enough tippet to minimize abrasion to the main line. And double uni knots slide through the guides just fine.
By the way, this visibility thing is way down the list of line priorities in my opinion. Over the years I have proven this time and time again. In trying to outsmart fish I often found that it was I that was getting hornswaggled. Today I am concerned about line visibility only after I am confident about every other aspect of line performance for any given situation.
I say, put confidence before deception.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#244176 - 05/17/04 01:37 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
I better tell the fish Ive hooked with high vis to knock it off.

#244177 - 05/19/04 04:11 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
MetalheadRon Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Shelton Wa.
Hey JK. I use powerpro exclusively with mono or fluorocarbon leaders. I simply tie to a swivel with the powerpro and then a leader to the other end of the swivel. NO need to use more than 4 feet of leader (some may argue this). The truth is I probably use shorter leaders than most. I have methods to my madness though. Truthfully though, I never use 4 foot leaders, 3 feet is my very maximum length.

#244178 - 05/19/04 08:31 PM Re: Power Pro Line for drift fishing
Beerbelly Offline
Parr

Loc: Van. WA
I use Power Pro 30lb for drift fishingwith fluorocarbon leaders all the time for steelhead with a spinning reel for summer and winter and get lots of fish with the setup.

John

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |