Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#256642 - 09/30/04 06:47 PM Fillet fish on Bank
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
This year I am seeing more and more fisherman fillet there fish on the bank and packing out the fillets instead of carrying the whole fish out. I didnt see anything in the regs that this is illegal. There is a paragraph about wasting and mutilation. I always believed you are reuqired to pack out the fish for the following reasons:

A. Prove to the game warden its a hatchery fish/legal fish

B. So the state checkers can wave their metal detector over the head to retreive their wire

#256643 - 09/30/04 06:59 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
AJ Hartwell Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Good question. I can see why people would want to do this but have always assumed that it was illegal and therefore haven't done it.

I'll be anxious to see people's replies.

#256644 - 09/30/04 07:06 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I never fillet my fish on the bank. because I save the head and bones for crab bait.
But that's a good point never thought about that.

#256645 - 09/30/04 07:09 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I believe its illegal to do I would think a game warden would want to see if its a clipped fish or not but as far as putting them back in the river its feed for smolt. I know the wdfw packs alot of hatchery carcasses back into the river system to dump them for feed..

#256646 - 09/30/04 07:30 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
Well unless I read this incorrectly it looks to me like it is legal...

Fish or shellfish may be cleaned or portioned
while in the field with the following
exceptions: It is unlawful for an angler to fail
to retain proof of compliance with species,
size, number, weight, sex or wild or hatchery
origin restriction, if such restrictions apply,
until the angler is ashore and has finished
fishing for the day.

IN THE FIELD OR IN TRANSIT
Anywhere other than at an ordinary
residence. Dockside fish cleaning facilities,
boat ramps, and cold storage lockers are
considered in the field.

#256647 - 09/30/04 07:49 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I do it sometimes because I would rather shove the fillets in a back pack rather then try to carry out two whole fish. Plus this way I do not have to dispose of the carcass at home

#256648 - 09/30/04 10:38 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Absolutely legal. Have checked this with game wardens on two different occasions. But proof of clipped adipose or other hatchery markings is required. The clipped fin can be retained on either fillet, as the two fillets will match. I suppose one could screw up and give a fillet away that had the marking, but it seems unlikely.

#256649 - 09/30/04 11:05 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Koho King Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
I should start to fillet at the river. I usually fish on weekends but our garbage collection day is every Friday. So if I get lucky and bring a fish home, the guts can be in the garbage for a while and start to stink things up...

#256650 - 09/30/04 11:29 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
KK: I put fish guts in a bucket in my freezer until garbage day. Keeps the neighbors G** D*** dogs away.

#256651 - 10/01/04 12:21 AM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Koho King Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
DV: thanks for the freezer tips. Those raccoons can be pretty nosy too.

#256652 - 10/01/04 08:12 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
hungry4fishn Offline
Parr

Loc: fort lewis
Thats great info. I have trouble filleting just becuase I am new. Therefor, I try to do it in privacy. Any filleting classes coming in town soon? LOL

#256653 - 10/01/04 08:25 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Nice, I never thought of this. It makes more sense to leave the carcass in the river for nourishment anyway. Thanks!

#256654 - 10/01/04 10:36 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I have been old on two occasions by game wardens that this is entirely illegal. One time crabbing at Everett. We were never getting checked so we cleaned them at the docks and kept two really big shells to give to my niece to take back to Missouri. The game warden came up and we had a disagreement. I asked technically where the "field" was. Law states to keep all carcasses while in the field. He said any place that is other than your residence. He didn't cite me but was citing others. The other was last summer at Westport. We clean all of our fish in the marina everyday (habit) and throw the carcasses back in the water. I forgot the day we were pulling out and cleaned two silver carcasses to give to two old guys for crab bait as they didn't have anything any good to use. The fish had already been checked by the checker and told us it would be okay to clean them. I thought about it and usually pulling out on the weekends at the ramp are the wardens. (We take all of our previous days catches back and package them at camp so they are not on the boat) There was a warden there and he wanted to see our fish. I showed him and told him of the two coho fillets plus the rest of the kings were whole just gutted. He told us had he found the fillets in the cooler before we told him he would have fined us. I think it was $150 or $175 per fish. I told him the fishchecker said we could clean them. He also said fish checkers have no authority to tell you anything you can and can't do. After you have left the marina cleaning them is fine. This didn't match what the crab game warden said. The guy was nice, I just wanted to hear his version of it.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#256655 - 10/01/04 11:16 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
OnlyChrome Offline
Alevin

Loc: Washington
Please place your fish carcasses back in the water, I have a friend who has managed to hook and land several in the mouth. Oh that's right he started this thread!!!

#256656 - 10/02/04 12:34 AM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Raft-Cat Offline
Smolt

Loc: North Bend, WA
Check the game regs and you will find it IS legal to clean your fish in the field, on the boat, or the bank. You MUST leave the clipped fin on one of the fillets. Cleaning in the field among other things gets you plenty of water, limbs to hang your fillets, no smell at home, bagged, and ready for the frig. I called Olympia and got the skinny. Have your regs with you if you are checked. Don't be a Smart
A__S unless you want to prove in court with your attorney you were right! Raft-Cat

#256657 - 10/02/04 09:47 AM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Funny....even a question that is clearly answered in the regs (As Gary points out early in this discussion) still receives mixed responses.

I understand that we have differing opinions on fishing techniques, favorites, preferences, and about everything else too, but wouldn't you think we all could agree what the regs clearly state?

Some bonehead Temp-Hire ticket whore might write me up wrongly, but other than the inconvenience of taking time off to prove the bozo wrong, it's really not a big deal. And a lawyer is not necessary.

NOT being a smart arse (as previously mentioned) can be beneficial, however.

Last year I brought most everything home and froze the guts and carcass's in a garbage bag in the bottom shelf of the freezer. When I felt like it, I would take the frozen block of waste back to the river and toss it in. The technique works great, as the frozen parts float and thaw slowly, thereby depositing pieces far downstream.

#256658 - 10/02/04 05:57 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: MLT
Hungry4fishin,
There is a piece on salmonuniversity.com on "how to fillet a salmon". It has detailed descriptions on how to, as well as pictures. Its a fountain of information.

#256659 - 10/03/04 11:38 AM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
hungry4fishn Offline
Parr

Thanks for the info,
I will go and check it out. I can fillet pretty well, but I could get better fillets. I will see what i can learn. Thanks for the Info!

V/r

#256660 - 10/03/04 04:55 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
Bank Angler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue, WA
Hungry4FishN,

The best fillet method I've ever seen was off a post on this message board:
FishNPhysician Fillet Method

Before this, I always would have to go back and get the scraps (or chunks) I missed. This is an awesome method.

--Bank Angler

#256661 - 10/04/04 02:41 PM Re: Fillet fish on Bank
hungry4fishn Offline
Parr

Hey bank,
Thanks for the help. I appreciate everyones assistance with this. This board is great. I appreciate it guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1062 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |