Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#262964 - 12/01/04 09:41 AM Skunked on Skok--again
Potaire Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eatonville, WA.
Ever since last week's rain I have not had so much as a hit, and I've been down there 5 times or so. My good hole produced 10 fish in 40 minutes the day before the rain---now I don't even see any fish jumping or rolling. Is the Skok run pretty much over, or is this just a lull in the action??

#262965 - 12/01/04 01:15 PM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Things are winding down for sure. Seems to me there were fewer fish this year than in the past. :rolleyes:

#262966 - 12/01/04 03:45 PM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
MaribuMonkey Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Potaire,

I have experienced the same thing on the Skok. I fished it two weeks ago and caught ~30 Chum and on big 15 pound coho. Last weekend I fished the Skok Saturday and Sunday, but it was clear that the fish present in the river has gone way down. I was wondering if the majority of the fish already in the river had moved up with the rain but new fish would be moving in as the water lowered. Not very many fish have acutally moved in.

I was fishing a very popular hole, it was dead all morning, then ~2:00 fishing were being caught at a steady rate. Clearly some fish moved in.

I guess the run is pretty much over in the Skok

#262967 - 12/02/04 01:36 AM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
when the river is high like that after a good rain, the fish won't be stacked in the same spots they were when the river was at low flow...have you ever noticed the fish bumping into your legs in two feet of water when the rivers are blown or just at significantly elevated levels?? just a starting point...the fish may still be there, be flexible with the water you choose to fish...instead of arriving at your spot and hopping right into the water and tossing your first cast right into the meat of the hole, stay on the gravel with your first several casts, cover all the water properly and i bet you'll be much more successful...i know that may be a tall order on the skok since almost everyone that fishes there will be wading halfway across the river so that they can get into the normal honey holes, so get there early, do some exploring, and cover as much undisturbed water as possible

#262968 - 12/02/04 09:37 AM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
Potaire Offline
Smolt

Thanks for the tips. I will "endevor to peservere". (can you name that quote?)

#262969 - 12/02/04 12:24 PM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
Potaire,

"We Shall Endeavor to Persevere" - Chief Joseph of Nez Perce Tribe

#262970 - 12/02/04 10:15 PM Re: Skunked on Skok--again
Potaire Offline
Smolt

Excellent Wolverine!! Actually, I was thinking of the Indian in "Outlaw Josey Wales" (Chief Dan George???).

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, 1 invisible), 1372 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |