LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#229404 - 01/25/04 05:36 PM Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Reading an artical in the News Tribune this morning about the low water in Lake Tapps got me thinking. It was mentioned in the artical that Puget Power stopped using the diverted water from the White River to generate power. The water was then diverted into Lake Tapps by Mud Mountain Dam. If the dam has no purpose now, why not remove it? I know the dam is not very big and there is no lake behind it so the only thing it is doing now is blocking the way for wild spring and fall chinook, coho, pinks, sockeye, and steelhead. Plus the fact that last year the Army Corp of Engeniers screwed up by stopping the flow of water for a day killing thousands of endangerd Puget Sound wild chinook and wild steelhead among other fish. So what is the purpose of this dam? Is water still being divered so that greedy land owners can have an unatural lakefront property? I just don't get it. mad

#229405 - 01/25/04 05:59 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
I think we're going to see litigation for years concerning Lake Tapps. Those homeowners spent a lot of money to have waterfront property and they're not about to let their house values go to poop. Whose gonna want to buy a million dollar home that sits next to a mud puddle?

#229406 - 01/25/04 06:05 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
STRAWBERRY Offline
Smolt

Loc: Puyallup, Wash.
FJ15
Mud Mountain dam is a flood control dam ran by the Army Corp. of engineers the water diverted into lake tapps is diverted down stream at a diversion dam, that is where the fish are trapped and trucked around Mud Mountain dam and released back into the White river.

#229407 - 01/25/04 07:40 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I was just talking about this with a co worker who is from that area. I think Go Harley hit it on the head. It seems that is one of the main reasons; waterfront property homes.

#229408 - 01/25/04 11:54 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Orting
Quote:
Originally posted by Fishingjunky15:
Is water still being divered so that greedy land owners can have an unatural lakefront property? I just don't get it. mad
I guess you probably wouldnt think the same way if you owned a house on the lake. I dont own on the lake but I have many friends that do and none of them I consider to be greedy.

As far as the lake goes, I dont know why they just dont keep it filled and occasionaly drain it in the fall/winter months and around fish runs as needed for maintainance.

Here are a few links that you might want to look at to have a better understanding how the water enters and exits Lake Tapps.

http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=MM&pagename=Tour

http://www.pse.com/energy/history.htm

#229409 - 01/26/04 02:23 AM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Mud Mountain Dam has nothing to do with Lake Tapps and the greedy water front property owners!!!
Mud Mountain Dam was built to help control flooding in the Puyallup valley. It's there to protect any of you working or living in the Puyallup and Auburn valleys. So I guess you could say it's there due to all the greedy property owners that live in low lying areas in the south sound area.

There is a seperate diversion dam near Buckley that diverts water into the flume that goes to Lake Tapps. From Lake Tapps it runs down the hill and back to the White River.
I grew up right below Mud Mountain Dam and just a couple miles up river of the diversion dam.

At the diversion dam is a fish trap where the state traps the native fish and trucks them around the dam/

What really messed the White River up was that it used to flow into the Green. Farmers south of Seattle got tired of getting flooded by it and diverted it into the Puyallup. That pretty much put a stop to the fish runs in that river. There was still some fish in the river but I think it was just fish that wandered up it from the Puyallup.

#229410 - 01/26/04 06:53 AM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by sinker:

What really messed the White River up was that it used to flow into the Green. Farmers south of Seattle got tired of getting flooded by it and diverted it into the Puyallup.
Thats not exactly how it happened.

Before 1906, the White River flowed to the north where it was joined by the Green and Black rivers to form the Duwamish River, which continued to Elliott Bay. In November 1906, a flood-caused logjam obstructed the northern channel, diverting the entire flow of the White River down a small tributary of the Puyallup River called the Stuck River. The White River has continued to follow this course since the flood of 1906. In January 1915, the Auburn Dam was completed at the location of the logjam, making the change in course permanent.

#229411 - 01/26/04 02:32 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

#229412 - 01/26/04 07:08 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know all that was mentioned about the dams, including the second dam. I just thought that it was a useless dam in the river. Still not totally convinced that it helps flood control as the Puyallup System (all the rivers) hardly ever rises above it's crest. Rivers that start with 'S' seem to flood more around here and have no dams on them.

Salmo: The White does get some sockeye, much like the Sky which gets under 100 a year. Here is the site that has the fish coun't at the dam, it has sockeye on it. They must be the strain of Puget Sound Sockeye that spawn in very small nuber in a few rivers. (not all rivers like strays would) Not very much is known about them like where their young rear. They are mentiond on the WDFW web site under sockeye.

http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Doc_list.cfm?sitename=MM&pagename=FISHCOUNTS

#229413 - 01/26/04 08:15 PM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

The diversion dam doesn't really do anything for flood control. As most of the time during the flood season the flume is full and Lake Tapps can't really hold any more water.

Now as far as Mud Mountain Dam, it holds a TON of water back whenever the Puyallup starts getting high. Head up there sometime when the Puyallup has been running high for a good week during the monsoon season and the water lever is usually quite high.
Go there during the summer and there's no water, the river just flows srtaight through the dam.

#229414 - 01/27/04 04:00 AM Re: Why is Mud Mountain Dam still there?
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishingjunky15:
Not very much is known about them like where their young rear. They are mentiond on the WDFW web site under sockeye.

Interesting. I just got done checking out the "Puget Sound River Sockeye" page. ( http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/sockeye/riverpuget.htm )I always thought that a lake was needed to rear the juveniles. I wonder if you could use Lake Tapps for juvenile sockeye rearing. The fish could spawn, rear in the lake and then go to sea after a few years. Would they need to re-enter the lake on the way back to the spawning grounds or could they bypass that and just continue up the White?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1229 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |