#237237 - 03/15/04 11:11 PM The AP Quotes the WSC
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington

#237238 - 03/15/04 11:16 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Sparkey:

That same article also ran in my local paper yesterday... the local rumblings in Forks don't sound very good. I sure hope the commissioners don't cave and do a reversal on this one.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#237239 - 03/15/04 11:22 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
I like the dude from Sequim that thinks the Hoh is "his".

What a...ahem...misguided individual.

#237240 - 03/15/04 11:44 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Tribal officials are worried about the ban as well, in part because they think it might increase resentment among nontribal fishermen who can't keep fish even as Indian-caught wild-steelhead fillets rest on ice in upscale Seattle groceries. :

Now why would nontribal fishermen be upset at that?

MB

#237241 - 03/15/04 11:52 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
"With the tribes still netting the river, you're cutting off your little toe because your arm hurts," Gooding said."

hmmmmm I think he is on to something.

#237242 - 03/16/04 12:03 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Likley well in excess of 150+ dead ones over the week-end on the Hoh this week-end from the sporties GP ... that's more like your hand.

Impact as a group adds up.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#237243 - 03/16/04 12:15 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
Wild steelhead release has been a way of life for the rest of this state for many years. When the regulations changed to WSR in Region 5 (S.W. Washington) local fishers took it in stride. We are finally starting to see better numbers of wild fish returning.

#237244 - 03/16/04 12:24 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
That was Bob Gooding's quote.....If 150 steelhead were caught and kept on the HOh were they all wild? How do you know the exact count? If you know the count for sport then how many wild steelhead were killed in the nets on the Hoh?

Remember that I am for WSR so don't confuse what I say as being against it. It just seems like many folks look at it as the end all solution as if we are done....as if WSR is recovering wild steelhead.

#237245 - 03/16/04 12:37 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I know it was Bob's quote. No one will know exact count. Just a guesstimate from reported boat traffic and fishing success plus bankies and plunkers and poached fish based on reports from a number of sources that were there and saw the bloodbath. One guide thast has been opposed to the C&R regs said that after this week-end, his mind was changed from what he saw.

Hardly the end-all ... but a chance to stop the bleeding on a river that has seen some very lean years lately. C&R mortality will would just barely allow it meet escapement ... no justification for kill fishery.

Time to start on the harder things ;\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#237246 - 03/16/04 01:05 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Mel Moon, the tribe's director of natural resources, also worries that the ban might result in too many fish returning to spawn.

"Every system has a carrying capacity," Moon said. "How many fish can you put in the system before there's crowding? There's only so many places where the ideal conditions exist for spawning."

Answer: we can put a lot more fish on the beds than there is currently \:D

What a lame argument, when was the last time you saw too many wild steelhead? Gee last time I floated the duc we had to drag the boat over all those fish just to get down the river, dam fish were tearing up the river... .
Even if this was true the carcasses would help replenish the system and the fish would take care of themselves.
Mel moon, you ought to get into the library and read up a bit...ignorance is no excuse :rolleyes:

#237247 - 03/16/04 01:16 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Too many wild fish?

Yeah that's a good one. Kinda like too many hot chicks, or too many free drinks, too many Loomis rods, too many eggs, too many hummers............. \:D

That dude's been smoking something.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#237248 - 03/16/04 01:33 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.:
Too many wild fish?

Yeah that's a good one. Kinda like too many hot chicks, or too many free drinks, too many Loomis rods, too many eggs, too many hummers............. \:D

That dude's been smoking something.
Or even more of a stretch is too many hot chics fishin' with too many Loomis rods passing out too many free drinks and hummers. \:D ;\)

#237249 - 03/16/04 10:41 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Quote:
reports from a number of sources that were there and saw the bloodbath.
Bob, do you think that this "blood bath" has been brought on because of the big push by WSC to close down the take fishery? Maybe they are doing more harm then good by trying to make up the minds of other fishers for them. If this moratorium is rescinded or reversed through litigation, will it bring even more of the kind of fishermen who want to harvest his catch to the local areas? What's your opinion?

So what was the score when it was all said and done? Was there more business generated from those kill fishery guys, or was there more business generated from the c&r fishermen? Which user group left the most money locally?

If there was 150 wild fish taken, it sure would appear that WSR isn't as popular has many may think that it is. Maybe that's why Forks is taking the position that they have.

That many wild fish being taken almost sounds like the people were sending a message to someone. It's really to bad that all of those wild fish had to be the ones who carried the "message" if that was the case.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#237250 - 03/16/04 11:09 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
"Area merchants wonder whether fishermen will stay away if they can't take home a trophy."

Sportsmen won't stay away. Like many steelheaders, I prefer CNR areas.

"Indian tribes worry the ban will worsen resentment of their tribal fishing rights."

Resentment is at or near a saturated level...could it really get worse?

Put 'em back.

#237251 - 03/16/04 11:12 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Its like this CF, the milkshake (wild fish kill) is running out therefore everyone is pulling harder on the straw before it runs out. After it runs out they go find another shake and depleat that one also. Sounds a bit like commercial fishing, all we are left with after a while is dirty empty glasses.

#237252 - 03/16/04 11:18 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I spoke to one of the fish counters on the Hoh and she mentioned that she'd seen a significant increase in the amount of fish being killed because people feel that this will be their last opportunity.

While the season remains open it would sure be nice if the guides would not permit clients to kill fish, regardless of what the law states. We need as many fish alive as possible.

#237253 - 03/16/04 11:21 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
SciGuy Offline
Superstar in diapers

Loc: B.I.
"Mel Moon, the tribe's director of natural resources, also worries that the ban might result in too many fish returning to spawn.
'Every system has a carrying capacity,' Moon said. 'How many fish can you put in the system before there's crowding? There's only so many places where the ideal conditions exist for spawning."

Translation: Insane ramblings from a desperate man.

Put 'em back.

#237254 - 03/16/04 11:34 AM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

"Mel Moon, the tribe's director of natural resources, also worries that the ban might result in too many fish returning to spawn.
'Every system has a carrying capacity,' Moon said. 'How many fish can you put in the system before there's crowding? There's only so many places where the ideal conditions exist for spawning."

Thank God the indians and the fish killers have been doing their part to keep the populations in check...I hate it when there are so many fish!!!

#237255 - 03/16/04 12:07 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Quote:
Translation: Insane ramblings from a desperate man.
It may sound like "insane rambling" to you, but its coming from the co-managers, and they have the federal law behind them. I am very surprised that "Todd" has remained so silent on this tribal issue. Todd specialized in tribal issues when he represented WDFW as an assistant AG.

You may mock what the tribes say, but they carry the biggest stick in this issue. If the WDFW and Commission did not consult with the tribes BEFORE they made this decision, it is my opinion, they flat out blew it!

Come on Todd, lets hear what the WSC legal counsel opinion is about what powers the "tribes" may or may not have concerning this issue!

These are both quotes from Todd and Jerry

Quote:
By Todd:
"The actual legal status of the tribal fishing right is that of a "reserved right"...it is not a right that we gave them, but a right that they reserved for themselves when they handed over their land and moved to reservations."
Quote:
by Jerry:
"When the treaties were signed it was NOT the white man "giving" rights to the native americans. It was the native americans retaining what they had always done and granting privleges to the white man."
Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#237256 - 03/16/04 12:33 PM Re: The AP Quotes the WSC
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
first of all My friends fished out there on Sunday and they said that the Fish Counter had checked over 150 wild fish for one day so that to me is a Bloodbath, just sick, How can these knuckle heads take pride in Killing these fish?
Also on the queets on sunday there were over 50 wild fish killed, when you start taking that many fish out of the spawning grounds you are just setting the future up for disaster.
reading that article about the ol'boy mentality and just wanting to kil kil kill makes me sick. That is the reason I don't go to forks anymore. If you want to overturn Dumb laws then lets start with the Dumbest and that would be Sparkey's Law, give me a break, you cant remove the fish from the water? how are you going to enforce that one? **** I have been handling these fish since the best part of Sparkey ran down his moms leg!!
And Finally the Moon Dude? give me a break, He has obviously smoked so much bad indian crack that he is as high as the moon thinking that there is going to be to many wild fish. I will take to many wild fish over the other extreme.
I will step off my soap box now.
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 829 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |