MeFish Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle,WA, KING
How has the Cowlitz/Blue Creek area doing on producing steelie's

#245589 - 06/04/04 10:32 AM Re: Cowlitz
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
There are no fish in the Cow. Don't waste your time and gas.

See you there.

#245590 - 06/04/04 03:50 PM Re: Cowlitz
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Toledo Wa.
Quote:
Originally posted by RK43:
There are no fish in the Cow. Don't waste your time and gas.

See you there.
:D

#245591 - 06/05/04 05:11 PM Re: Cowlitz
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fished there yesterday without a hit. Seemed kinda' slow for the number of boats out; saw two steelhead caught and two kings roll in a big pool. But was a gorgeous day!

BTW, has anyone ever seen such a huge load of filamentous algae in the river? Huge globs of the stuff drifting along. At times, I had to clean my line every cast. I wonder if WDFW cleaned all the hatchery rearing ponds at once, greatly elevating the nutrient load and causing so much algae. If not, I wonder what the cause might be.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#245592 - 06/05/04 06:15 PM Re: Cowlitz
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
filamentous algae huh? so that's what that stuff is. I was thinking it had something to do with the Cotton Wood trees, since it's so fiberous.

All I know it's bad this year, really bad...

#245593 - 06/06/04 10:48 PM Re: Cowlitz
fish-onNW Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Fished it last weekend and the only fish I saw hooked at blue creek were w/8-10' leaders and #4 hooks. I'll bet it was their "low water technique" After enough of that we pushed off of the bar and drifted down. Did manage one nice 9lb cromer w/ a plug. But other then that didn't see any.

#245594 - 06/07/04 05:22 AM Re: Cowlitz
micropterus101 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Orchard
why dont ya look a little closer all my fish are hooked inside the mouth! Maybe if you used a longer leader you would have hooked more fish.

Jealously :rolleyes:

longer leaders dont neccesarily mean flossing. There are other reasons in certain areas.

#245595 - 06/07/04 11:29 PM Re: Cowlitz
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
It's cotton wood seed that sinks and sticks to everything you fish with. It's a great big pain in the a** because you never know if your bait is covered with it, which = MORE casts and less time in the water fishing. If the water was up to about 4500 cfs it would clean it out, but with the low flow it'll be there awhile.

#245596 - 06/08/04 12:37 AM Re: Cowlitz
fish-onNW Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Im not saying everyone all the time catching fish is flossing. The four guys I saw hooking fish had super long leaders. I fished 4-6's, compared to their 8-12'ers. Sorry for the confusion.

#245597 - 06/08/04 01:01 PM Re: Cowlitz
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

RiverLiver,

Are you sure it's the cottonwoods? Cottonwood trees are abundant along almost all the rivers I've fished, but I don't recall seeing this amount of slimy junk in any river that wasn't polluted. This reminded me more of river reaches downstream of large sewage treatment plants or pulp mills. Maybe take a closer look this weekend.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#245598 - 06/08/04 01:54 PM Re: Cowlitz
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
This sounds like the stuff that seems to pile up along the bottom every summer just below the confluence of the Sultan River and the Sky. The City's sewer outfall is located there as well and I hate to say it but the stuff lookes like old tolilet paper fibers...YUCK!

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#245599 - 06/08/04 03:44 PM Re: Cowlitz
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

There are know sewer out flows on the that part of the cow, It's cottonwood I've been down at Blue cr and it looks like it just snow in the parking lot.I hate that cottonwood if the flow was right it would all be gone.

#245600 - 06/08/04 04:27 PM Re: Cowlitz
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
You guys think Cottonwood trees f*ck the river up, try having two HUGE ones just over your backyard fence! Those trees are Satan incarnate I tell ya... \:D

#245601 - 06/08/04 06:25 PM Re: Cowlitz
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry fellas.......it is indeed fillamentous algae as Salmo mentions. we have the same crap here on the Wynoochee every June/mid-July. It seems to be worse the past decade locally. Warm-water, above average sunny days(mild spring) and high nutrient loads all contribute. The algae's life cycle seems to endure 2-3 months before dying off. Some years it appears mid-June; other years, like this year, it started showing in early may......again, locally. I attribute it to our warm, mild spring.

I count the days waiting for the stuff to die off (and it will) so I can drift a bait without reeling in a foot of "snot" attached to my rig.......probably a good time frame to go bobber and jig.

You guys all mention cottonwoods but I can't help but wonder if it's as simple as cow poop in unchecked/unfenced riverside pastures contributing to a high nutrient load?

Whatever the case, it is indeed a pain in the arse.

#245602 - 06/08/04 07:03 PM Re: Cowlitz
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i always thought it was cottonwood junk. it's not really slimy at all, it just looks like it when it's wet. just seems like cotton balls floating down the river

#245603 - 06/08/04 10:42 PM Re: Cowlitz
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
I'm sticking with cotton wood seed that has sunk and floats suspended until it's saturated enough and than rolls along the bottom and collects that nice puke green look. If you fish the faster water there is a minimal amount of it . The water temps last time I checked were 48 - 49 degrees quite a bit colder than July temps. Last year was the first year it was a real pain in the a** on the Cow that I can recall.

#245604 - 06/09/04 01:24 AM Re: Cowlitz
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Filamentous algal bloom, no doubt. Flares up with any imbalance in nutrient load, low flows, warm flows.

The Wynoochee post was right on. This "toilet paper" stuff even happens in Alaska. Anybody fish the early run kings on the Kenai the first two weeks of June in 2001. Couldn't keep a back- trolled/bounced line in the water more than two minutes. One big Killey dump mid-month took care of it in a hurry.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#245605 - 06/09/04 12:04 PM Re: Cowlitz
gottagofishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Wa
I'm probably just another Know-It-All High School Biology teacher here, but.....

The #1 cause of abnormal algae blooms is nutrient inbalance and the #1 cause of nutrient imbalance is the inorganic fertilizers we use.

It all runs off of your lawn/crops sooner or later and it all winds up in the rivers....where it causes that green slimy s*@t we all hate.

Cause and Effect

#245606 - 06/09/04 02:57 PM Re: Cowlitz
Fish Fossil Offline
Returning Adult

Gottago scent you are a teacher can you come down and get some samples and test them to end this arguement.

#245607 - 06/09/04 10:45 PM Re: Cowlitz
fish advocate Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue
I was on the Cow on Monday and experienced the gobs of unsightly wet toilet paper coming down the river. It definetly made for an unpleasant experience and resulted in alot of down time in having to clean off your hook every cast.
Cotton Seed...NOT.
This is definitely a biological growth. If you look at the river bottom every rock is covered with this snotty fibrous grayish white toilet paper slime. Undoubtedly the cause behind this is increased nutrient loading into the river (phosphorous & nitrogen). Probably someone's septic tank is leaching into the river upstream. I hope they locate the source and put a stop to it. In the mean time the Cowlitz may come to be know as the "River of Snot."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |