I have an annual Canadian license that I never was able to use this year. This bothered me, so I decided to take my boat to Port Angeles, launch, and then motor over to the closest point I could find on Vancouver Island. This turned out to be a place called Whirl Bay (right at the south tip of the island). I got over there and saw a group of about 8 Canadian boats working the shoreline in about 130-170 feet of water. So I dropped in with them and put out my downrigger and coho killer spoon. Ten minutes later I had a fish (5-6 pounds) and 15 minutes after that I had another one about the same size. I saw nets flying on a regular basis and I could see people regularly releasing fish with hopes of catching a bigger one.

I headed back with a very favorable impression of what goes on over there. I had to release my fish because of WDFW's inconsistant regulation prohibiting the bringing back of Canadian caught salmon into a port that is closed for salmon retention.

Sorry, no pictures, but I can report that the Canadians do alot of catching over there this time of year.