Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296036 - 03/24/05 08:21 PM Salmon river Idaho assistance please
RobJ Offline
Parr

Loc: Melba ID
I just got a driftboat and would like to float around Riggins, but am a bit leary of jumping in with both feet before I get some experience. If anyone is familiar with the area, and can suggest a good put-in point and take-out point for a 4-6 hour float with no major hazards that a novice could attempt, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't have anyone who will be joining me on Saturday, so also need to know how easy it will be to handle the boat, both in water as well as during the put-in and take-out. Is it feasible to try this solo and still be able to fish, or should I wait till I find someone to join me. Obviously that would be my preference, but it being Easter weekend is making it hard to find someone, and I don't especially want to wait

#296037 - 03/25/05 01:01 AM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I've done the town down drift a few times and it was cake. I love Salmon.. I come over every year to elk hunt up by Middle Fork Peak.
Good place.

#296038 - 03/25/05 08:36 AM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Make sure that you know what your takeout loooks like from the water!! Very easy to miss takeouts if you don't recognize it.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#296039 - 03/25/05 08:39 AM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
If your new on the sticks its not a good idea to do it by yourself. Its also not easy to fish and row at the same time. Combine those two issues and your looking for trouble. Riggins has several floats that are not all that hard, but do require intermediate rowing skills. I would suggest Island bar to Shorts bar as a first float. ( short float just above town)

Steelhead are a done deal now.. There will be some Salmon to catch in about the 2-3 week of May. With the lower flows we are sure to have this year should be some good drift boat flows this year so wait until then. PM me and we will let you know a few days when we will be there and can maybe show you the ropes.

If you really need to go for a float now, grab a buddie and float from Swans falls to Walters ferry and try for a few bass. Thats pretty safe and you can catch some fish also.

#296040 - 03/25/05 09:35 AM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Seastrike is talking about a different part of the Salmon river than you are Rob.. he is talking about by the town of Salmon I imagine as the float from Riggins to Lucile ( below town) is without question the hardest float in the Riggins area.. 3 class 3-4 rapids on that float. Time zone, Chair cr. are both bigtime. Don't do that whatever you do.

#296041 - 03/25/05 11:34 AM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Why not float the area around Challis instead? Fish should be moving through there starting aroumd now. The water is alot tamer then that whole Spring Bar to Lucille area, and most of the fish are upstream of that area anyways.

vince

#296042 - 03/25/05 08:35 PM Re: Salmon river Idaho assistance please
RobJ Offline
Parr

Loc: Melba ID
Good idea about Challis. I may give it a shot next Wednesday. If you, or anyone can suggest a specific put-in or take-out spot and how long the float might last, I'd appreciate it. Also if anyone knows if anyone offers shuttle service, that would be helpful too.

I'm taking B-runs advice and will float the Snake near my home for the shakedown tomorrow...then we'll see if the Salmon is ready for me...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |