THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#321133 - 11/20/05 03:35 AM Found a little chrome today!
Plug monkey Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
Took my little bro out today, 2nd time fishing for steelies and got him into this one! \:D

Its always cool to see someone catch their first, even if they didn't put in the two years of wading 200 miles of river, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, losing hundreds of dollars in tackle, and struggling through the sleepless nights trying to answer that one all important question..... "What does a steelhead bite feel like anyway?" ;\)

#321134 - 11/20/05 08:06 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
nice fish really nice fish. perfect first fish

#321135 - 11/20/05 10:36 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Plug Cut: Has that fish got a rudder? Hate to be the one to ask the question, but it sure looks like it has something a bonked fish shouldn't.

Someone's gonna ask..might as well get the Q/A out of the way.

Mike

#321136 - 11/20/05 11:04 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Plug monkey Offline
Parr

Mike, it is a non clipped Indian hatchery fish. Don't worry, well aware of the difference in dorsal fins between a hatch and native, and still under the 2-1/8" credit card too \:\)

I almost put an explanation in the post, but figured I'd wait for someone to bite ;\)

#321137 - 11/20/05 11:12 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
MMMMMMMMMMM ???????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#321138 - 11/20/05 12:11 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

My eyes get blurry from lack of sleep, but am I seeing an intact ventral and adipose fin?
I didn't know the dorsal fin had anything to do with whether you got a ticket or not.
And it looks like a freakin cold ass morning. Makes my twig and berries shrivel just thinking about it.

#321139 - 11/20/05 12:28 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Plug monkey Offline
Parr

Geez, tough crowd, but I wouldn't expect anything less from pp!

Vince....beautiful day on the river only chilly for the first hour or so!

Yes it has all of its fins....yes it is a hatchery, and yes it is totally within the regulations to retain. Take a look at the ONP regs sometime when your googling ;\)

Thanks for your concern. I never have bonked a nate and never will. In fact, I'll be the first one to talk someone into releasing one if it looks like they're planning to keep it

Good luck,
Plug Cut

#321140 - 11/20/05 01:29 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Look at the dorsal fin, and relax boys.

Awesome fish, man. Props to your brutha!

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#321141 - 11/20/05 02:25 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
fishjager Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: lynnwood, wa
I am not a back field quarterback, Really nice fish.

#321142 - 11/20/05 02:55 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Schwicker Offline
Parr

Loc: Lost
Awsome fish. We were on the bank couple hundred yards below you. We went 0 for 4 to the net. Congrats to your bro on his HATCHERY fish. Hopefully all who wondered have checked the regs.

#321143 - 11/20/05 03:04 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
Great fish Plug cut . It amazes me how people are so quick to chime in on a steelhead with fins, and not a chinook or other salmon for that matter. anyhow looks like a great day..

Matt

#321144 - 11/20/05 03:17 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

I did try and check for the special regs, but they written so well they would confuse a tax attorney.
And oh yes it is a tough crowd.

#321145 - 11/20/05 05:04 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
Queets?? its obviously a hatchery fish, and if it is the queets the lazy indians dont clip them, so it goes to the credit card rule, and dont blame people for jumpin on the fact that it has all the fins, this sites #1 consern is conservation, and not knowing the rivers rules then it appears a native to most

#321146 - 11/20/05 07:04 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
beautiful.....sure wish i caught that today instead of the skunking i just got handed to me

I know about the dorsal fin rule and all but does anyone else think they should lose all federal funding for failing to clip fish? i know its not really a big problem with the steelies since not as many are caught at sea but how can they still pull this scam on salmon........has it been banned yet?....

it makes me mad to think about throwing an unmarked bleeding coho back in the water that you know is gonna die and very well may be a hatchery fish......can they still scam us with this lack of clipping or did that ever get changed?

ps reyns_tgl- time to change the tag line......my kittens beat your puppies....and they even tried to coug it \:D

#321147 - 11/20/05 10:51 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
krijak Offline
Fry

lupo,
I watched a show once where they had a blonde indian trying to justify why they wouldn't clip their fish. Somehow he kept a straight face when he looked into the camera and stated that the salmon was a sacred fish and they didn't believe in maiming it.

#321148 - 11/20/05 10:57 PM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
My feelings ... hatchery fish = 100% clip, period.

Cool to see some brats coming ... guys for the next few days postponed and I was hoping to go try for a few ... now I get chore duty \:\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#321149 - 11/21/05 01:51 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
baitbouncer Offline
Smolt

Loc: Grays harbor(central park)
NICE, NICE FISH....don't let all the jealous hatters intimadate you. They should just beleive you and be happy that someone got their first fish. I'm just as concerned as you guys, but give the guy a break....anyways nice fish man. Hopefully many more to come...Hatchery that is.

#321150 - 11/21/05 02:16 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
that's totally awesome. Your little brother will never forget who put him on his first one! \:\)

#321151 - 11/21/05 03:30 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Gig Harbor,WA
So Bob what you are saying is that if YOU fished the Queets or Quinault, you would C/R all your steelies?

I also agree with you Bob, you just never know 100% if its a hatchery or native, its not worth the risk. Let em' go...

PS, beautiful fish.
Matthew 4:19

#321152 - 11/21/05 10:22 AM Re: Found a little chrome today!
Plug monkey Offline
Parr

I totally agree with clipping ALL hatchery fish. It seems ridiculous that they can get away with the current process.

Peter, in my opinion, if you see enough of these hatchery fish vs. natives you can tell probably 95% of the time by the condition of the dorsal fin. It is impossible to regulate the fishery with a subjective method like this but used in combination with the 2-1/8" regulation, it is a pretty fool proof way of knowing for sure. And yes, I have released fish with dorsals that fall below this mark, but are obviously native, that's the 5%. I've also turned away many nice hatchery fish as a result of the 2-1/8" rule, even with chewed up, deformed dorsals, if the fish is over about 12lbs it is usually larger than this.

It's an easy fix but those responsible might need a little help....pullin on their shoulders to remove their heads from the place they seem to be might be a good start :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |