Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287543 - 01/07/05 06:50 PM clay slide on th evedder
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
for those that are interested, there was a clay slide that went halfway across the river today. The slide occurred about 2 miles above the Tamihi bridge in what is known as "Slesse park". The river is super muddy from there down stream and it's anybody's guess of when the lower 2/3rd of the river will be fishable again. It sucks to fish winter steelhead in BC now.

#287544 - 01/07/05 07:42 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Is that the slide that they had spent years working to stabilize?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#287545 - 01/07/05 07:55 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
BC Steel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: BC
Yes, its the same one. From what I understand, the improvments on the clay bank only covered about half of the slide. Funding ran out and the second half was left as is. I believe that todays slide happened on the second half of the clay bank, the part where the money ran out \:\(

#287546 - 01/07/05 08:14 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
As I recall when the first half went out it ruined the lower part of the river for months. What a bummer!

#287547 - 01/07/05 08:15 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
hunterfisher77 Offline
Parr

Loc: everett
I was just thinking of going up thier and checking it out to. Is thier still river to fish?

#287548 - 01/07/05 09:59 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
finneyrock Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everson WA USA
The news on the Vedder is bad news, we have been fighting a major clay bank on the Nooksack for 15+ years, between mother nature, the army corp of engineers and everyone else that has their finger in the pot, the Nooksack remains cloudy below the clay bank every time the river comes up or there is a 1/4 " of rain. Not that a whole lot of folks are not tryiong to make it better, but it just doesn't seem to improve. The other factor is there are other slides on the South fork that keep it colored much of the time . Whether it is the Nooksack , Vedder, Skagit or Stilly our stewardship or lack there of has come home to roost. Hopefully we can continue to work on habitat and stream restoration to stabilize these rivers. Was looking forawrd to heading up to the Vedder, hope it is fishable in the next couple of months on the lower end. You have to play with the hand your dealt.

#287549 - 01/10/05 10:33 AM Re: clay slide on th evedder
rln Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: anywhere in B.C. sometimes wa...
with the cold weather, the river is fishable for the whole length after the first blast of clay washed away. The big thing will be when it warms up and what happens every time it rains. Fishing is still ok out there for now.

#287550 - 01/10/05 06:34 PM Re: clay slide on th evedder
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Slides can really ruin a river. Slide stabilization is my profession, and it is rarely easy to fight mother nature (But it is always fun and interesting!). How did they "stabilize" the slide on the Vedder? My guess is that they got really fancy with filter criteria, willow sticks, and rip rap. Anyone know what there approach was?
thanks,
Neal

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 829 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |