Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#290353 - 02/04/05 10:49 AM Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I am working on the story of the Makaws over harvest for two magazines. I have all the facts I need, but could really use a photo of Makaw tribal commercial fishermen at work - fishing, selling fish, unloading fish etc.

Please contact me if you have such a photo and are willing to let me use it with my articles. I can use any format, but would love a large digital image.

I will be out of town for several weeks. I will get back to you as soon as I return.

THANKS!!!

#290354 - 02/04/05 11:01 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Can you give a plug for the mags, that way we can check them out and keep abreast of what is happening with this willful rape of our resources.

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#290355 - 02/04/05 11:10 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
DL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodiville
The tribe is the Makah. Here is the link to their web page.

http://www.makah.com/

Just want to make sure you get it right for your article.

#290356 - 02/04/05 11:26 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Fishy:

I will do a blurb for my column in Salmon Trout Steelheader. I am sure they will run it.

I also send news items to Salt Water Sportsman,. I am not at all sure it will fit their needs, but I will try.

DL: Thanks. I would like to spell it right.

#290357 - 02/04/05 11:27 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Go big Dave... its not just the Makah.. its the whole bunch.. thats just the current example.

#290358 - 02/04/05 11:49 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
B-Run,
When you say the "whole bunch" I assume you include commercial fisherman, "sportsmen", politicians, and anyone else who rapes our fish in one way or another. Nobody is happy about what the Makah's have done, (this includes other tribes). Everyone will feel the impact of their greed. Ever hear of tragedy of the commons? It's an interesting concept.

I'm very disappointed (but not suprised) by the Makah's response shown in the Times today.
Neal

#290359 - 02/04/05 11:56 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Yep... thats exactly what I mean. How every time there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel its really a train comming....

#290360 - 02/04/05 11:58 AM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

Is it the Makah's fault or our fishery management's? Did I miss something? The 20,000 nooks that the Makah's netted were within the time-frame of the designated fishery, correct? It wasn't a quota fishery, correct? Soon after, our boners-that-be said "...we'll try to get in touch with them (Makah's) and talk about closing the fishery.

I've been on the coast for a week and maybe I missed something, but did the Makah's do something illegal that I missed?

#290361 - 02/04/05 01:02 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah they agreed to a fishery projected to catch 1,600 but weren't even going to stop at 20,000 until the s hit the fan.
Unfortunately they need to be baby sat even though they aren't children. Co-managers, stewards, BS BS BS.

#290362 - 02/04/05 01:38 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
chongo469 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett,wa
I dont think that even though it was a time frame fishery and not a quota fishery, that a projected 1600 fish and an actual caught 20,000+ fish should even be condoned. The tribe knew it was projected at 1600 and when it found it's windfall it should have stopped and contacted other fisheries (other tribes,commercial,sport,etc......and sat down for a week and at least figured out how this will affect our future stocks..Instead they decided on thier own (for thier benefit) to keep fishing. The goverment say's they govern themselves on this and should be responsible enough to stop and look at the big picture.I dont see where they have done this.I have sent e-mails ,phone calls , and corespondence to every politician, and news paper and station I know to get as much publicity as i can on this.Maybe a couple times a year we should remind everyone how this tribe act's neglegently to provoke a big makah protest.maybe they would think next time.I am all for boycotting neah bay fisheries and the makah tribe and maybe even a couple other's if things dont start shaping up......This is not meant to be a slam on all tribes( I'm 1/4 cherokee) but at least the cherokee nation doesnt have to get involved with this mess...Maybe someday people will finally realize that it's time to start equallity.and maybe the only ones we'd be fighting with are the commercials....But thats a whole different fish to fry......IMO

#290363 - 02/04/05 02:09 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Right.

I'll fire photoshop up and have that "photo" for you by noon!

Heh. I bet I could come up with a doosey of a "photo"!

Heck I bet if I co-worked with ol' Sol on this, we could truly come up with a FINE photo for you.....

#290364 - 02/04/05 04:03 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Quote:
Originally posted by Queetsqueef:
The 20,000 nooks that the Makah's netted were within the time-frame of the designated fishery, correct? It wasn't a quota fishery, correct?
These fish were not netted. They were troll caught (with hook and line) and was not illegal.
Dave. I've got pictures.

#290365 - 02/04/05 04:25 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Loc: Richland,Washington
Maybe somebody can clarify this for me. Most of the tribes I'm familiar with have a stake in an ancestral river or rivers where they fish and which they co-manage with WDFW. They have a stake in the health of the runs to their home rivers.

How can the Makah nation be a "co-manager" when they are fishing mixed stocks in the salt?

Maybe I'm missing something.
SS

#290366 - 02/04/05 05:21 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
Thanks for link!! I liked that they have the tribal businesses listed so I can avoid patronizing them.

#290367 - 02/04/05 07:16 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Quote:
Originally posted by Parker:
Heck I bet if I co-worked with ol' Sol on this, we could truly come up with a FINE photo for you.....
I'll provide the nude dancing girls on the hard top to keep it interesting! \:D

Parker can handle the rest. ;\)

#290368 - 02/04/05 07:33 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

In reality, how are we (the general public) supposed to know what percentage of the catch were actually wild

#290369 - 02/04/05 07:33 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
How about one of those fine looking women they have out there with a bit of whale blubber hanging off her chin with the big international NO symbol. BOYCOTT NEAH BAY

#290370 - 02/04/05 07:37 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Sparkey may be able to dig a photo like that up out of his archives. It seems like he has a way getting women to pose for pics.

#290371 - 02/06/05 08:42 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Dave, I know I have a picture of a Makah commercial fishing boat sunk with the stern showing by Tatoosh. I should have some pictures somewhere of the Makahs as I used to fish it all of the time. My friend took some pictures of thousands of sable cod dead or dying that were dumped from the Makah processor when we were coming back from out in the ocean. Sadly we boycotted Neah Bay last year because of the way Big Salmon was treating the charters. Now here we go again. It was to far to go to Canada Halibut fishing from LaPush. My buddy still ran it. It was 62 miles one way. The Makahs have really put a dent in my summer fishing seasons. My kids have grown up fishing at Neah Bay. What a travesty. Since the old controversy blew over I was going back to Neah Bay, now we boycott again. Dave, are you coming to our Tony Floor meeting on this Tuesday the 8th? I will try to get you some pictures. I think I have some pictures of the trollers out on Makahs on Umatilla Reef. I will see what I can find.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#290372 - 02/06/05 08:50 PM Re: Need Photo of Makahs Fishing
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
Here it is.

Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (SpoonFed), 1376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |