Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58399 - 01/13/05 11:35 PM Drift boat questions
RobJ Offline
Parr

Loc: Melba ID
I'm seriously interested in getting a drift boat...tired of just watching them float by while I'm stuck on the bank. What are the benefits/negatives of drift boats? What should I look for in a boat? Is aluminum the best way to go...what are pros/con of the 3 types, ie. fiberglass, aluminum, wood? What about size? I'd like one to hold maximum of three adults, or maybe two with a couple of dogs, so what size would be best? I see 48" or 54" mentioned...assuming this is referring to the width...what is the best option and again, pros/cons of the different options/sizes? I guess what I'm asking, is for anyone to share their thoughts/experiences/knowledge/etc. Thanks in advance.
RobJ

#58400 - 01/14/05 02:32 AM Re: Drift boat questions
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Gig Harbor,WA
It all really depends on what,where and how you will be fishing and fishing for.

Also it comes down to the maximum moolah you are willing to spend.
Safety,longevity,re-sale value,comfort,durability,fishability,stability,storage, and good looks doesn't hurt either. All this led me to the DB I decided on.

I wanted this to be my first and last boat and able to past down to my grandkids,etc.
So my final decision was to go with a Clackacraft

See my attachment too for the MANY reasons to go fiberglass. Good luck!

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/cgi-bin//uploader.pl?action=view&epoch=1105687686

Peter <><

PS, in reference to a wood db, Its kinda like a Log Home, you just gotta really want one. Considering the HEAVY maintanance but VERY beautiful...
Matthew 4:19

#58401 - 01/15/05 01:32 AM Re: Drift boat questions
RobJ Offline
Parr

Loc: Melba ID
Thanks for the advice...but I guess the one question your link doesn't answer...while the repair of the aluminum may be costly...at least it CAN be repaired...how about fiberglass? How repairable is fiberglass...I'm talking a good solid repair. Is that possible?

#58402 - 01/16/05 04:00 PM Re: Drift boat questions
Provider Offline
Fry

Loc: Gig Harbor
Quote:
Originally posted by RobJ:
I'm seriously interested in getting a drift boat...tired of just watching them float by while I'm stuck on the bank. What are the benefits/negatives of drift boats? What should I look for in a boat? Is aluminum the best way to go...what are pros/con of the 3 types, ie. fiberglass, aluminum, wood? What about size? I'd like one to hold maximum of three adults, or maybe two with a couple of dogs, so what size would be best? I see 48" or 54" mentioned...assuming this is referring to the width...what is the best option and again, pros/cons of the different options/sizes? I guess what I'm asking, is for anyone to share their thoughts/experiences/knowledge/etc. Thanks in advance.
RobJ

#58403 - 01/16/05 10:22 PM Re: Drift boat questions
crawdad Offline
Alevin

Loc: Pullman, WA
I was in the same boat a few years back. In the end I went with a wood boat, because I could get one dirt cheap. Wood gets a bum rap because it is high maintanence and heavy, but there are some advantages as well. First, even though the resale is not great, you can get a nice boat fairly cheap if you are willing to put a little work into it. So if take a dive on resale you haven't really lost that much money. Honestly, if I can afford it my next boat will be fiberglass or aluminum, but if I can't afford those, I'll gladly get another wood boat.

If you go with wood try to store it under a shelter.

Check out the trailer thouroughly. Because of the weight you want a trailer that is easy to load and unload. Also it needs to be well balanced. If the boat rides too far forward you wont be able to lift it off the tounge or wheel it around by hand.

Most importantly, regardless of the material teach your wife or a buddy to row, otherwise you get stuck on the oars and fish less than you did back on the bank!! Have fun.

#58404 - 01/17/05 07:21 AM Re: Drift boat questions
drhall99 Offline
Parr

Loc: Tigard, Oregon
Glass is not tough to repair. You could probably repair it yourself but if you buy a Lavro or Clackacraft you won't have to. They both have a great warranty against holing the bottom. I think the Clack is the better boat due to the hull design and the looks but the Lavro is one tough boat. Either way, you won't be sorry.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |