Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71906 - 06/15/04 11:28 PM Cabo San Lucas
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Loc: Monroe
I know this is off base as far as lake fishing goes, but has anyone been to Cabo San Lucas and done any fishing. Got an offer to go down there I couldn't refuse, so off I go next week. Looking for any info on good guides or charters for some different kind of fishing.

Thanks eek

#71907 - 06/16/04 01:37 AM Re: Cabo San Lucas
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Orting
I was there in March for a week and a half. We fished 6 days total, two days in a big boat and 4 days out of a panga. The first day we hit a striped marlin about 150#. The next 4 trips were in the pangas where we were catching sierra close to shore. The last day was once again in a big boat for tuna but we only got one small one. Its a great time down there. If you enjoy any type of fishing you will have a blast!!! You can email me at rwgav8@comcast.net if you would like and I will try to fwd you some pics, links and other info and try to answer any questions you have. I know there are several other guys on the board that go down there and have made several posts on Cabo.

Here is a link to a few of the pics from this year and last:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rwgav8/album?.dir=/98dc&.src=ph

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rwgav8/album?.dir=/Mexico+Spring%2703&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rwgav8/my_photos

#71908 - 06/16/04 07:04 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
ICF - I was down in Cabo in January and did manage to catch a nice striped marlin - about 160lbs. I know there is a charter outfit that Parker (on the main board) recommends. You may try PM'ing him. I just walked the docks and had so many offers to go out that it was almost impossible to choose. Here are some pictures:

Have fun, it may be warm down there. laugh

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#71909 - 06/17/04 03:42 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Loc: Monroe
Great pictures all. Can't wait to get down there. Those Seirra look pretty cool. Do they catch much close to shore so a person could do a half day trip in a panga? I have checked the reports and the marlin are really hot right now beer

Thanks

#71910 - 06/18/04 09:04 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I've booked with an older guy named Benito Juarez Cedeno and will use him the next time I go down (ask anyone working in the marina where Benito is and they'll point you in the right direction). He works with 20 or so boats, but concentrates on 7 or 8 who have the best captain/crew. We fished off a 28' boat called the Paulina (captain Victor) and landed a small and large tuna. Saw a few striped Marlin, but not takers that day.

In my opinion, the hardest part about booking a boat in Mexico is getting a straight/reliable answer about whether the fishing is good and/or whether the captain and crew are good. Benito was realiable in this regard.

#71911 - 06/22/04 12:43 AM Re: Cabo San Lucas
tdickenson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Here's a message I posted a ways back on the salt forum. It was in response to another thread about fishing Cabo so you might want to search for it as well...

------------------------------------------------------
As an alternative, you might want to consider surf fishing. I was in Cabo in December and had a great time on a trip guided by Stephen Jansen. It's about half the cost of a panga and I loved not only "active fishing" (instead of sitting around while someone else drives the boat, rigs and sets the rods, sets the hook etc.) but I really loved watching the fish hit my lure being skipped across the top of the water and then screaming line off my reel into the surf.

Winter isn't always the best time for the surf but Stephen is very willing and honest to tell you what conditions are like. Here's a link to a report from somebody who went during the summer... Surfing Roosters June \'02

His shop is next to Mar De Cortez Hotel in Cabo. The contact info I have for him is from the US 011 52 624 143 58 04 and email sjansen@prodigy.net.mx.
---------------------------------------------------------

#71912 - 06/23/04 03:00 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I've talked the folks tdickenson mentioned and they will let you know how the fishing is before they take your money.

As an FYI Hotel Mar De Cortez is an inexpensive alternative to the swanky hotels/resorts around Cabo. Clean comfortable rooms, secure building, no phones, no tv, walk in freezer for your catch, close to everything downtown and awesome little restaurant and bar. Certainly not on the same caliber as the resorts, but I'm hardly ever hanging around my hotel when on vacation. Have stayed there twice when in Cabo.

#71913 - 06/24/04 12:27 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
rwgav8 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Orting
http://www.jansenlures.com/

this is the link to Stephen's site. We spoke with him when we were down there in March. Super nice guy. Maybe next time Im down there I will book a trip with him.

#71914 - 07/15/04 01:02 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
Stroth Offline
Egg

Loc: Ashland, MA
I am headed down to Cabo during the first week of August. I'd love to book a trip with Steve Jansen, but I cannot find any contact info for him. The number above does not work and he has not responded to email.

Any info is much appreciated.

Stroth

#71915 - 08/06/04 02:57 PM Re: Cabo San Lucas
tdickenson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just got an e-mail reply from Stephen Jansen for anyone interested (based on the posts above)...

He has a new e-mail address: stephenjansen@prodigy.net.mx (he said his old one had gotten loaded up with junk mail... and that he only checks e-mail periodically). His phone number is the same but it was out of service for about three weeks while they moved several stores down the street: 52.624 14.35804.

If anybody does out with him, please post a report afterwards and let us know how it was.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |