Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63141 - 06/16/01 03:37 PM Rapjohn Lake
ACE Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edgewood, WA
I fished Rapjohn lake on 6/14/01, boy was that a humbling experience. It was my first time on the lake so for a fair amount of time I trolling around. There was very little insect activity. I kept trying various woolly buggers, leech patterns and nymphs. I also gave a try with blood worms, chronie pupas and scuds. Nothing is an overstatement. Anyway, I'd like to fish this lake successfully since it's close to home, has a nice setting with little development and good access.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on what might work at Rapjohn. I'd especially like to hear from you if you've successfully fly fished the lake in the past.

Most of the lake is 15' or shallower, the deepest part is 18'. The lake's water is clear but tinted brown. I assume the bottom is muck and maybe peat like therefore the water color. While I was fishing on the bottom I didn't snag up once, so I assume there are few weeds and little structure other than the lily pads and reeds along the shore. The bottom does seemed to be covered with a green brown algae which I picked up often.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ACE

#63142 - 06/17/01 10:59 PM Re: Rapjohn Lake
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Hi Ace: Learning humility is a part of fishing. I been trying to figure a way to take it out but....No Luck.

I flogged the water and Chronmided that Rapjohn Lake 5-6 times years past knowing that there are a few large bows in there.

Total score.....ZERO!
It's one of those wierd lakes that just don't fly fish appearently.I gave up on it.

A guy taught me to catch them there using an old fashoned method though and it works.
Worms......No lead.....wind drift.....Lots of line out....4# leader max.
You'd think if they bite on worms (ugh) they would like a nice leach...but I couldn't get any interest there either.
mad

#63143 - 06/17/01 11:03 PM Re: Rapjohn Lake
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Hi Ace: Learning humility is a part of fishing. I been trying to figure a way to take it out but....No Luck.

I flogged the water and Chronmided that Rapjohn Lake 5-6 times years past knowing that there are a few large bows in there.

Total score.....ZERO!
It's one of those wierd lakes that just don't fly fish appearently.I gave up on it.

A guy taught me to catch them there using an old fashoned method though and it works.
Worms......No lead.....wind drift.....Lots of line out....4# leader max.
You'd think if they bite on worms (ugh) they would like a nice leach...but I couldn't get any interest there either.
mad

#63144 - 06/18/01 12:52 AM Re: Rapjohn Lake
ACE Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edgewood, WA
FishnfellaS,

that's not what I wanted to hear but I sure appreciate the info. I just don't get skunked like that very often, it's good to have some company. I see in the lake reports that Jim J. had a similar experience in early June.

Did you try duplicating the worm method with any patterns? I was using a 3x leader which would be well over 4# test.

I talked with a guy fishing from the access and he told a good story about a guy who did well on flies. He couldn't remember what the pattern was....a small dark nymph???, maybe....Anyway his recollection was this fly fisher caught more browns than anyone on that particular day. Although, he trolls a worm when he's not fishing from shore!!! Now where did I hear that worm stuff before?

It sounds like you enjoy fishing chironomids. Do you know of any lakes in the Pierce or South King county area that fish well with chironomids? I'd like to find a lake close by that I could hit when time is short.

ACE

#63145 - 06/20/01 01:12 PM Re: Rapjohn Lake
Fish Guy Keith Offline
Parr

Loc: WA
Ace when i was out there I used a green carry speacial and would just lift the rod and lower it back down while floating around the pads. caught two nice triploids that way.

#63146 - 06/21/01 05:56 PM Re: Rapjohn Lake
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

There is a worm pattern using Brown Vermille,but it wasn't available back when I fished Rapjohn. Sounds like there are browns and Triploids in there now too,a more recent addition than when I fished there years ago.
Maybe worth a few more tries as triploids are a hungry breed and you could luck out on a Carey or Dragon with them. Maybe try a big leech at night too,for the Browns.

Yea,I love to chronomid whenever the hatch is on,which is all spring in the E.Wash. Lakes near where I live now. I even bloodworm frequently when the hatch is off and do fairly well at times.Getting old and lazy I guess.

As far as good lakes in So. King county you'll have to ask someone else as I wrote those lakes off as urban slews and fished only a few near Black Diamond.

In Pierce county Silver lake chronomids well as does Mineral near the pilings on the So. end when the hatch is strong. Bay Lake was a treat years ago, but is now ruined with millfoil and bass and algae/plankton so thick you can cut it.
I can only suggest that you spend a little more time/gas and get the heck out of So. King county and all Pierce county and fish
Thurston,Mason,and Lewis Cos.
As you get older you begin to understand that "fishing time" is a precious commodity and should not be wasted on water that has been ruined or is used exclusively to run a welfare meat program and has only 8-10" stockers. rolleyes

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |