Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#62511 - 05/07/01 11:15 PM BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Reel Novice Offline
Fry

Loc: Bothell
Anyone have luck catching any brownies??? What lakes, particularly West Side....Snohomish, Skagit, or Whatcom County lakes??? Any experience\luck??? Thanks! confused

#62512 - 05/07/01 11:21 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Reel Novice Offline
Fry

mad SHOOT! Sorry for the double topic post......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

#62513 - 05/08/01 11:44 AM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
I haven't fished enough up north to help you there. I have fished Silver Lake in Pierce county. I generally hit it in the fall and cast to the rises. The browns come right back and smack the fly....

#62514 - 05/08/01 12:04 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Micro Brew, you know any lakes near Seattle/Eastside with browns? Know it is not too likely. I am trying to find a lake to learn this year closer to the Eastside. Know of any? Also,since you seem to be knowledgeable about all things fly fishing, ever fished for crappie?

#62515 - 05/08/01 02:24 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I don't know of any eastside / Seattle brown spots, but I'll check a few sources. As far as crappie on a fly, no - but I would like to. Fished for them a little with bait up at Mason Lake but they are not particulary big. Any suggestion on where to go locally and fly selection? I tend to use the fly rod, but am well versed in plugs, pop gear and bait. I'll use what works depending on where I am.

#62516 - 05/08/01 02:43 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Green Lake in Seattle supposedly got a bunch of brown trout about 2 years ago.

#62517 - 05/08/01 03:19 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Just Fishing Offline
Fry

Loc: olympia
For crappie I use 1/64th oz jigs with bright red heads. T main colors are chartreuse or white. You want to look for a lake that isn't very deep. Duck Lake in 'Ocean Shores is about the best lake to find a lot of crappie.

C&R unless your hungry

#62518 - 05/08/01 03:29 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that you can catch crappie near the arboretum on Lake Washington as well as perch and bass. A beautiful place to fish. I have only fished with them on a fly rod for a short while. I bought a beautiful mouse imitation at outdoor emporium that I want to hook a bass with. Leech patterns and imitators work well at the arboretum. Had not heard about crappie at green.

#62519 - 05/08/01 03:59 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Spawner

my comment was there's brown trout in Green Lake. You got it mixed up with the other remark about crappie in Duck Lake.

I read one or two years ago that WDFW was putting browns in Green to try and control the yellow perch.

There's other local lakes with brown trout.. the names escape me right now as I don't try to target browns.

Pass Lake and the lake over by Dry Falls with the state park on it have browns in them. That's common knowledge.

One thing to do is check the WDFW stocking reports and see which lakes they put browns in.

I noticed two funny things on one of the WDFW pages. They were asking for an "exception" to plant goldens in one lake and tons of kokanee in another lake. The kokanee were supposed to be food for ****s.

Sometimes I think this state is getting too "touchy-feely"... here mr ****... let me plant some fingerlings for you.... Shoot.. it the lake will sustain ****s.. they'll stay there and find food. If not.. they'll move to a different lake thats better for them.

#62520 - 05/08/01 04:02 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Spawner

apparently L O O N is a bad word here. I don't think it's a body part.. or a bad name for anyone.

#62521 - 05/08/01 04:26 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Only L oo n is basser.

#62522 - 05/08/01 07:29 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
not **** BASSER=greentrout=small mouth bass eek

#62523 - 05/09/01 10:01 AM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zen L. thanks for the correction. Just goes to show that reading posts and replying while trying to do one's less important tasks (i.e. work at the office) does not always pay off. Wanted to know if you have ever fished the salt with a fly.

#62524 - 05/09/01 01:18 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Spawner

I went down to Lincoln Park last year for the first time and threw some flies in the saltwater.

I thought my flies were defective as the eyes kept breaking off. One time I turned around and noticed I was slapping my flies on the rocks behind me. That stopped all thoughts about the flies being defective.

Also, I've fished for humpies and chums over at Hoodsport. Last good humpy year was 1995 over there. This year looks like another good year for them. They're real fun on a 5 wt in the saltwater. Chums are a real blast too.

#62525 - 05/09/01 04:28 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

ZL - Start that forward motion a little sooner....(I know you already know that!) I have used leeches a lot in the past but not mini leeches - how small are you talking about?

Hope you get a chance to get out this weekend - I think I have to mak up for the last 4 weekends...

#62526 - 05/09/01 06:02 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Spawner

Micro,

I think my problem that day was using a stiffer and heavier rod than I normally use... and that extra weight got heavy after a while. Once I knew I was slapping my fly I started my forward cast sooner.

Also.. I thought the next time I did that I'd take my lighter rod. Normally I use a 5wt SP but that day was using a 7wt RPL+ loaded with a 9wt line.... still very stiff.

Mini-leeches are on a Tiemco 200R hook in size 12... about an inch long. It's also a pattern name.. so they're not tiny woolly buggers.

I have a friend going over to the seep lakes Friday at noon. Me, I thought the earliest I'd be able to leave would be 6PM... and I sat and thought.. and thought.. now I think I'll take Friday off on vacation and beat him over and also get to fish on Friday.

I even offered to take TM to my "secret spot" but he has "obligations" this weekend. I would have instructed him in the art of "zen and leech madness", or whatever other fly he wanted to put on.

Actually I tied up some big brown beadhead chronies to play with, and I have damsels with me in case they begin to show.

I re-read your post and it looks like you aren't an orphan either.. and mother's day is catching up with you.

#62527 - 05/09/01 06:32 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I snapped the hook end off up on the Snoqualmie and could'nt understand why I could keep a fish on.

Thanks for the info. Ican't believe that TM
is passing up on your offer, he must expect to get lucky. As for me, unfortunately, my Mother's Day is to remember the good days of the past. It's time to rest the arm for a couple of days and get caught up with the little projects I didn't finish during the winter. Good luck at Seep Lakes.

#62528 - 05/09/01 06:42 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Spawner

I had a broken hook bite me the first time I fished Ebey Lake. That was in 1974 and yes.. I know I'm dating myself.

I borrowed an Nyerges Nymph from another fisherman who was amazed I didn't know what one of them was. Caught some cutts that were cruising the lake... and at that time..my biggest fish on a flyrod. It was a huge 14 1/2 inches. Found out it was big enough to eat salamanders as it had one in it's stomach.

Well.. I cracked a backcast on a log behind me and after a while I kept getting good strong strikes, and after a second, the fish would get off. Didn't figure it out until we quit for the night. Yep.. snapped the point off on a log behind me.

The line on my rod then was a HDH... before the new system of line weights was around.

Back to broken hooks. We were fishing Hihium up in BC last July and my fishing buddy was having good luck on a scud. He caught a very large fish.... and then after that.... a series of what we thought was short strikes and when he checked later found he had broken the point off. I wonder what we might have done if he hadn't broke that point. I know I would have switched flies. He was getting hits about every 5 minutes or so.

#62529 - 05/09/01 06:50 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Micro Brew,Nah Iwont get lucky, We have been together to long for that smile I have to watch the kids saturday and then do something for Mom on sunday. I regret not being able to go with Z L . My time to climb to the top of the mountain is not here yet. I will be ready when the time comes to take in all his wisdom. Time to leave work now . laugh

#62530 - 05/14/01 11:34 PM Re: BROWN TROUT TIPS\LAKES
Reel Novice Offline
Fry

Cranberry Lake holds some of the brownies.................Some of the lakes further north hold a few, I am told. eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1254 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |