LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76761 - 08/02/03 12:33 AM Opening day bear?
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
Anyone have any bear stories? We hiked 5 miles thru road closures, never saw another hunter, counted over 20 deer, but no bear.

#76762 - 08/02/03 06:39 PM Re: Opening day bear?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Saw no bear yesterday, but did see a nice one this morning. He was on his way out of dodge about 550 yards away. No chance for a shot. Have been seeing a lot of deer though.

Maybe tonight will be the night.

#76763 - 08/03/03 04:45 AM Re: Opening day bear?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
Lotta deer but no bears.
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#76764 - 08/03/03 02:16 PM Re: Opening day bear?
BigTULE Offline
Parr

Loc: Hockinson, WA
lottsa big bulls but no bears.. oh well i have my bull pick out. 2 months to go...

#76765 - 08/04/03 10:22 PM Re: Opening day bear?
45/70 Offline
Fry

Loc: Benton City, WA
I've personally checked every square mile of "Bearless" country. Last weekend I spent three days and never found a single sigh of bear. Covered miles and miles of country around Jasper Mountain, on a "tip" from someone that said that area was full of bears.

I'm definately begining to think that those fellows that "claim" there are bears in Washington, are full of crap! West siders that say they see 10 bears a night and have to "pick" the one they really want...yeah right!

I've been trying for 4 years to get a bear. I used to see them when Elk & Deer hunting, now I can't find one to save my rump? When I wasn't interested in them, there they were, now that I'm trying...they've left the State.

The next hypothosis that I'm going to throw out is likely to get me shot, but there's a distict possiblity that the reason none of you guy's saw bears last weekend, is because I was in the woods. I won't be out next weekend, so you'd better go hunting while you can...I may make it out the third weekend, so don't waste your time on the hill, the bears will be in Hawaii that weekend.

45/70

#76766 - 08/06/03 10:25 AM Re: Opening day bear?
riverswild Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: OlyWa
Been a little slow in my area, only two killed opening day and one on day two.

Got mine with with a cow call (it works great)
It wasn't huge, went 170 minus the guts.

I will try to post a pic and story later.

45/70 - The WETside is loaded with bears, but it is so damn brushy. I reccommend listening more than using your eyes in this situation..This is my tenth bear in eleven years on the westside, and I have heard most before I spotted them...

#76767 - 08/06/03 12:32 PM Re: Opening day bear?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
Ill be going out to try and bag a bear this weekend. Ill be hunting up in Whatcom County.

I have seen lots of bear sign while pre season scouting. Water Water Water is a good location too look around.
like they say: you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Check your scent and shoot straight!!!

Good luck to all

#76768 - 08/06/03 09:09 PM Re: Opening day bear?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Every one is just hunting the wrong spots. You need to move closer to the cities. Like in the "burbs. They are seeing them all the time. Hunt near houses with small dogs. Bears and cougars love them. laugh evil

#76769 - 08/07/03 02:34 AM Re: Opening day bear?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
You guys have any advice on caring for game after the kill when the weather is still hot? I can't hang one in the garage and spend the next couple of evenings cutting it when it's this warm.

#76770 - 08/07/03 09:25 PM Re: Opening day bear?
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
If I'm hunting on foot my packboards are with me. Small saw, sharp knives, rope and game bags. Upon making the kill, I field dress and skin. wrap meat with cheesecloth game bags and head for the truck, I have a chest freezer at home that I will stick the meat in to cool. If you have a long drive you better have a big cooler that is packed with ice but keep your meat dry when you put it in coolers. Dry Ice works well for this. I know guys that used to pack their bear out on one of those things that search and rescue people use to bring injured people out on. Then they hit the first cold river and submerge it for an hour to cool.

#76771 - 08/15/03 04:56 PM Re: Opening day bear?
Jim L Offline
Fry

Loc: forks,wa
Seen bear number five hit the ground last night ,all but one of them were in a creek eating berries the one last night we had to hike down the hill right above him for a shot.A few other good bear hunters that I know said the same thing most of the bear they have seen shot have been on the creek edges.

#76772 - 08/16/03 01:52 AM Re: Opening day bear?
45/70 Offline
Fry

Loc: Benton City, WA
You guys need any help weeding out them pesky bears, all you gotta do is tell me where you hunt & I'll come and get the ones you don't want around...

There aren't any over here, I checked!

45/70

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 398 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |