LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78159 - 03/07/05 05:22 PM scouting for elk?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
when would be a good time to start scouting for elk? i never really get into elk hunting that much, but would like to this year. i have hunted them before but i just went out for the weekend. so this year i'd like to actually gte out and scout them and find them before hand.

i'm gonna be hunting the westside, if that helps any, for the time of the year that i should be scouting. greenwater mainly, and maybe around northbend

#78160 - 03/07/05 08:07 PM Re: scouting for elk?
Gutpile Offline
Fry

The areas I hunt are non-migratory, as is most of the westside, unless possibly the Olympics if it's a severe weather situation during hunting season, might kick some herds down out of the high country or the Mt. Adams area. Anyway, when I took elk hunting seriously I would scout year round. The herds I kept tabs on year round stayed in the same general area when hunting season started. If you have the time, I would scout year round. I have areas I've hunted for years and still run into elk in the same areas, even with all the changes, new clearcuts, loss of big timber, new reprod, etc. Go out when you can and take notes, date, area, what and where you saw elk, etc. Good luck!!!!!!

"The Pile"

#78161 - 03/08/05 02:30 PM Re: scouting for elk?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
thanks, i'm gonna try to scout from now till opening day. i have a couple spots in green water where i've seen really big bulls while hunting for deer.

#78162 - 03/08/05 08:33 PM Re: scouting for elk?
Gutpile Offline
Fry

run_a_bait,
That's the spirit! Good additude! Get out there when ever you can. I have an idea about the area you are talking. PM me if you like. Good luck!!!!!

"Pile'O'Guts"

#78163 - 04/06/05 05:18 PM Re: scouting for elk?
CastN' Hopf Offline
Alevin

Loc: Monroe
Hey Guys,

I am sort of new to Elk Hunting and hunting in Washington. Spent some time on the Kaibab in Az. with family hunting as a kid. I always had sports in school on through college that prevented me from getting too serious about it. So I would tag around elk camp for a few days and then head back to school. Now that I am done with school I am looking to get into it more. Been heading over to Idaho to hunt with my brother due to my lack of knowledge about areas in Washington. So I would like to learn about some places I can head out on the weekend and scout and start learning the land. I live in Monroe now and know there has to be some good areas around. The goal is to take a few years to learn the lay of the land, and then get my dad and brother up here to hunt with me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Gary

#78164 - 05/05/05 01:53 AM Re: scouting for elk?
Fair hooker Offline
Fry

My favorite time to scout elk is February and March. The animals settle down, the leaves are off the trees and brush, and the bulls will be stressed for good feed on the westside so they will be in pastures and meadows. You can see them driving around or with a little walking. They don't shed there antlers until mid March or so.

In the summer you can find where there at and learn the country a bit, but don't scout hard because they will figure you out and be gone. Especially don't scout shortly before the season- you will put the elk on guard.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, DrifterWA), 1440 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |