THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334996 - 02/23/07 02:12 AM Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do?
fishtuff Offline
Alevin

Loc: Mill Creek, Wa USA
I'm not going to be satisfied until I see more antlered deer than hunters when I am in the woods. Used to be able to hike for 2 hours or so and not see other hunters- not so anymore. And it doesn't matter where you go... at least for the Mod Opener. So I'm looking at a pack service/drop camp for this year... or maybe try and get my buddies to switch to ML.

What have you done to get away from other hunters and make your experience better? ML? Archery? Late Hunt? Pack-in/remote area? Tried a drop camp? Other state?

I'm not fishing for your 'spot'... just wondering how you've adapted or changed your weapon, season, area, etc.

#335016 - 02/23/07 11:15 AM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
out of state early archery hunts. Some states start in August for mule deer. We have done a few of these early archery hunts and they are great. can be damn hot though.

#335039 - 02/23/07 12:47 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
fishtuff,

Changing your hunting method can lead to more stuff that you need to purchase, unless you have the equipment already. I have the equipment already and I bounce back and forth between archery, modern firearm, and muzzleloader seasons to keep things mixed up. This will force you in some cases to try different spots, times of the year, and learn new areas. Here are some other suggestions.

Try building up some points for special permits and then put in for units that are permit only. Some years your out with the regular yahoo's building points and some years it seems like the unit is all yours.

Maybe its time to change your perspective on hunting. Dont go to traditional areas where people hunt. Use the people to judge where the animals are (game animals dont like people). Use a map to judge where people will be hunting. Most guys dont travel more than a mile from there rig. Remember one mile parralel to the road is a lot different than one mile perpendicular to the road.

If you can afford the out of state tags, gas to get there, then D3's option is a great idea, but if you dont do your homework on the out of state hunt you can find yourself in the same position of crowded areas.

j7 2012

#335231 - 02/24/07 04:02 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: j 7]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I've been doing my big game hunting out of state now for 6 years and we don't see people during modern elk/deer (and the seasons overlap!).

#335274 - 02/24/07 08:21 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: seastrike]
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
We started leasing land in Eastern Wa. We have thousands of acres that we hunt. We are the only party that leases it and the only season that it is hunted is rifle season. Once we got access to this our success rate went way up. We still have to chase people out and deer do get taken by trespassers but it works out pretty good.

#335368 - 02/25/07 12:24 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

THATS GREAT!!!

So what have we suggested to fishtuff.

1. Run away from the problem by going to another state.

2. Buy yourself some privacy in eastern washington, but deal with trespassers because your only there a few weeks out of the year to manage it.

3. Buy new equipment and change stratagies.

These suggestions work but they only solve the problem for one guy. Maybe we should work to solve the overcrowding situation.

Why are some lands so heavily posted? It is because of idiots putting holes in signs, wounding animals, littering, off road travel, and just disregard for the property they hunt. The result of this is, "KEEP THE F@#! OFF MY LAND", attitude from landowners. This forces me, fishtuff, and most of the other licences buyers to hunt public land. When we get there we are supprised and upset that we find overcrowding of hunters and no animals to hunt.

What do we do? Run away from the problem by going to another state. Have enough money to lease some land and say "THIS IS MINE AND I WON'T SHARE". Live with it because it is not my responsability to fix it.

We need to change the image of the hunter to the landowner. We need to get the state more involved in cathcing idiots.
Dont be the idiot.
Let the idiots know they are idiots.
Dont assume everybody is an idiot.
Be active in providing suggestions to the WDFW (even if you dont think they listen).

If we change the image of the hutner to the landowner maybe they will let people hunt their land again. This will spread people around a bit.

j7 2012

#335413 - 02/25/07 07:13 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: j 7]
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles

Wow, where did that come from. We didn't just go over and lease land. We hunted Eastern Wa. for 10 years, knocked on doors, gave away smoked salmon, crab and oysters, drove hundreds and maybe thousands of miles looking for what we want. It's not about idiots. It's about to many people, period.What we have probably won't last. Then we won't sit around and whine, we'll go back and find something new. Alot of those farmers and ranchers struggle making ends meet and several thousand dollars (split up amongst our party) goes a long way.
Fishtuff asked what we have done to get away from other hunters and I was just letting him know how our group adapted.

#335457 - 02/25/07 11:19 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: lazydrifter]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Congratulations on the hard work, I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking you lazydrifter. I said we can solve fishtuff's problem by any of our suggested ways. My point was that our suggestions to fishtuff dont help the big problem.

You do help me prove my point. You said "We hunted Eastern Wa. for 10 years, knocked on doors, gave away smoked salmon, crab and oysters, drove hundreds and maybe thousands of miles looking for what we want." This says that you are willing to go the extra step to get what you want in a hunting experience.

The thing is, we all want that experience but we all wont make the sacrfice to get it. We expect it to just be there when we get there. I would guess that every person who purchases a license would like to get that first elk or that life time trophy they have been waiting for. We can all check the harvest reports on the web and see that these type of dreams did not come true for many. This is a direct result of to many people, not enough animals, and not enough public land to support it. You and your party have put a lot of time and money to get what we all expect from our state.

It is about Idiots. Can you tell me, that the story behind every door you knocked on had a pleasant experience with trespassing hunters or letting someone on their land (before the offer of smoked salmon)? Can you tell me that you have never seen a sign that read "Respect this Property"? I was fishing last weekend and farmer from the area was their talking to people at the launch. He told me that many of the landowners in that area dont want hunters on their land or they lease it and make a buck (eastern WA).

Not all farmers are poor. I have worked for enough of them to let you know that they are only poor on paper and to the goverment.

What we have, we can make last longer.

j7 2012

#335484 - 02/26/07 01:04 AM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: j 7]
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
j7 - I agree that trespassers and unruly hunters are part of the problem, particularly in your neck of the woods where there are a ton of deer but very limited public land. I've hunted over there several seasons, but ultimately got tired of seeing bucks on the wrong side of the fence. But my take is that a bigger "problem" over there is simply that the landowners either lease out their land, or save it for their buddies to hunt, as was the case in the farm I hunted over there.

But for a lot of the state, the big problem is not the inability to access private land, but simply too many hunters in our national forests, BLM land and other public areas. Essentially a byproduct of our over-the-counter system.

So to get back to the original question, I had all the same frustrations as fishtuff. Instead of whining about over-the-counter tags, road access, etc., I'm now doing a bunch of those things suggested by others. I've gone to bowhunting. I apply in other states. I spend time in the offseason finding 'honey holes'. I trade info with others with local knowledge through this site, MonsterMuleys, bowsite, etc. In just a couple years of branching out, this last year I had a number of excellent hunts. Obviously the general modern season is difficult, but even with a rifle, I think there are ways to get around the crowds if you're willing to spend the time to find new areas. There are a lot of guys out there who have great hunts every year in the over-the-counter seasons. The key is that they either live in the area or spend a lot of time there to learn it well. Hard work obviously won't cut it on private land, but there's a ton of public land out there...some of which doesn't get hunted too hard.

Personally, I think moving from rifle to archery made the biggest impact. Sure, it's more difficult, and if you're simply looking to fill the freezer that might not be the best approach. But if you're looking for a good wilderness experience where you see a lot of critters but not a lot of orange, that's one good way to go. Personally, I love the added challenge of needing to get within bow range. In the last year since I started bowhunting, I think my hunting skills have increased dramatically. I didn't fill the freezer this year, but I had more close encounters with great animals than I've ever had.

#335517 - 02/26/07 11:51 AM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: salty]
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

Buy a mountain bike. I hunt public land on the coast in an area with a whole network of logging roads, but no motorized vehicles are allowed. There are lots of areas like this, and personally, I think there should be a lot more. Right off the bat, this seems to eliminate 95% of hunters and instantly makes for a much higher quality hunt. Get beyond a mile and there's even fewer as this eliminates the walk-ins. Even on the modern opener, I won't see more than a half dozen people throughout the course of the day. Thank god for lazy people!

After I get my deer, I just put the body cavity on the bike seat, rest the head on the handle bars, tie the legs to the spokes, hop on and I'm out of there. Kind of a strange site riding a deer out like that, but my buddy and I have each got our deer the last five years in a row hunting this way and have complete confidence that we will continue to do so.

I also feel like I'm really hunting the entire time versus just driving around in the truck all day hoping a deer runs across the road and complaining about everybody else doing the same. I've done plenty of that in the past with terrible results, but never again. I'll see and hear things that I never would have had there been the constant rumble of cars and four wheelers around. Not to mention, it's great exercise.

#335558 - 02/26/07 03:26 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fish monger]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
sounds like Fun .../.

#335593 - 02/26/07 04:53 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: cowlitzkiller]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

well said salty.

I have seen people hunt elk the same way you deer hunt fish monger. But they dont ride the elk out, they put half of it on at a time and push it to the rig.

j7 2012

#335643 - 02/26/07 08:38 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: j 7]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
a lot of hunting for me is the country that i am hunting. each offers its own unique challenges and rewards. The country we hunt in NV is awesome. 10000 feet, sheep, goats, deer and elk... lots of trophy mule deer and its set up great for bow hunting. (If you are in good shape)
i went out of state to get something that i couldnt here in WA. Now for birds, i work harder and try to be smarter than the other guys. I hunt hard and am willing to go the extra mile to get a good spot. almost any idiot can shoot a lot of birds in WA as we have a lot of good land, but to be able to consistantly go get limits on public ground is something else \:\)

#335666 - 02/26/07 09:29 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: j 7]
fishtuff Offline
Alevin

J7-

You make a great point - often times when I've talked to landowners in E-Wash... many of them I already know or my freinds know, it's 'guilt by association'. They've had bad experiences with other hunters and just don't want to deal with it at all-- even with people they know and trust.

Case in point- I read that over 1/2 of the farmers with CRP feel-free land have opted out of the program for 2007. Just too much hassle and problems dealing with the 'idiots' you speak of. (I like to call them goat-ropers...:)

My buddy and I have been working hard for 8-9 years, and have literally been all over the state trying to find something that's worth going back too. We've tried a new places every year- tried to develop relationships with famers, and hike our a$$e$ off to get away in public areas, but there are always crowds, nice 4pts on the other side of the fence, or the deer are just getting chased around. We've also tried AHE, but that is a big joke, unless.... guess what- you've got private land locked in. Even AHE doesn't mean anything with the landowners- many have had bad experiences w/AHE.

Sure, we've taken deer... maybe average 50% or better success rate, but it's always a little bitter sweet. That's why I'm trying to find something a little more pure... we've spent our twenties searching for that place to go back to every year- it's just not happening.

Again, you are right about the idiots-and It frustrates me to all ends... I'm just starting to think our collective 'bad rap' is beyond repair.

#335667 - 02/26/07 09:35 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
fishtuff Offline
Alevin

All- Thanks for the input... some good stuff.

I signed up for a drop camp this year with an outfitter (unguided). A lot less than out-of state- and still a 'do-it-yourself' hunt.

... will post pics and let all know how it went. Thanks again for the help- this is a great board!

#335781 - 02/27/07 01:46 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fish monger]
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Hey tuff guy...I thought that might be you, but couldn't quite tell from the avatar. I heard from Marco that you guys signed up for the drop camp. That's awesome...stoked that someone I know is finally going to hunt the high buck hunt. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

salty

a/k/a Brent

#335871 - 02/27/07 09:55 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: salty]
fishtuff Offline
Alevin

Hah ha! Nice call. I was waiting to see how long it took you \:\) I was a member of this board way back when and started visiting again last year when I ran into your elk stories and put 2 and 2 together.

I'm excited about the drop camp. Another freind and his bro-in-law are joining Marco and I to make four- they are serious hunters too.

This freind has been going to Idaho and MT and cleaning up with OTC tags. Hoping for an invite one day- Ill send you some pics of his deer- they are dandies. I still need to stay local this year and next- the wife and 2 young kids (1 and 3) wanted me close to home.

In two years I am planning to go with JJ Slim to Oregon on the branched bull elk hunt - guaranteed tags for non-res. through the outfitter. It's a drop camp too... prob do that every other year, and the high buck drop in Wa the other year.

#337150 - 03/04/07 04:45 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
Raffpap Offline
Parr

Being originally from Pennsylvania, I must admit I struggled mightily trying to find worthwhile public hunting land and deer in eastern WA. If we had a deer here for every "POSTED" or "NO HUNTING" sign we'd have a 80% success rate! Anyways, I learned some valuable lessons over a course of 5 years while hunting public land, some of which are incredibly obvious. If possible, SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT during the off-season. The most important thing is to get as far off the beaten path as possible. Avoid dirt roads and old logging trails like the plague (especially if there's a lot of vehicle traffic or foot traffic) and get into the thickets and and heavy cover between these roads/trails. Let other hunters move the deer to you and don't freak if you have a hunter move through. I've killed 2 bucks within 15 minutes after a hunter moved through (one of which came from the direction the hunter headed). Head uphill and onto the "flats" and locate the bedding areas, usually in the thickest, hardest to reach areas, then locate their feeding areas and position yourself accordingly. Avoid hunting the same area day after day, you could very well contaminate the area despite your best efforts. Don't expect too much during the warm early season (I use it primarily for scouting), but hunt hard during the late season when the rut is on and it's colder. This one is a bit tougher but, if possible, avoid weekend hunts and hunt during the week.

#337502 - 03/06/07 02:56 AM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: Raffpap]
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
You didn't say if you are a muley, whitetail, or blacktail hunter.
There are good places without roads or trails. It just takes time to find them. Find a bowl or flat area where deer from the high country will congregate.
Sounds like you're willing to put in the work, have you tried the high buck hunt?
Locked gates are a blessing for guys willing to walk or ride a bike.

#337652 - 03/06/07 07:35 PM Re: Coping with hunting crowds... what did you do? [Re: fishtuff]
Raffpap Offline
Parr

To cupo, my apologies....whitetail deer in NE Washington. As crazy as it sounds, I've noticed that most hunters in this state aren't willing to "break brush" and opt instead to stick to established roads and trails. I've located several areas where a relatively simple 300-500 hike off an old logging trail will put you in prime whitetail habitat. From these locations I'm able to observe folks bumbling up and down these roads/trails, talking and smoking, weapons slung over their shoulders. It's hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 807 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |