LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#370575 - 08/23/07 05:24 PM Two new hunters in the field!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My boys both completed and passed their hunter education classes today! My oldest boy Hunter missed one, and I didn't get Ryan's score, but I was assured that he had passed as well. I was confident that Hunter would pass with ease, being that he is 11 years old and a great student.

Ryan is 8, and while he is also an honor student, I was concerned that some of the ideas and content might be over his head. He wanted to take the class because that's what his big brother was doing, so I figured the worst thing he would do is learn some of the info and maybe get his feelings hurt by not passing the test. It is one of those situations where I am happy to be proved wrong.

I plan on taking Hunter and Ryan on a grouse hunting trip in September with only one gun between us to keep things safe. I sure hope that 20 gauge gets a work-out. Maybe I need to buy a .410 instead?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#370616 - 08/23/07 07:24 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Dogfish]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Congrats to the proud dad! Both of your boys rock.
I bought Brent a blowgun this weekend...he loves it. My ex is pissed.
By the end of the afternoon Brent could hit a soda can at 30 yards.
I'm going to bring the thing to elk camp for mice and chipmunks...should be a hoot.

#370813 - 08/24/07 01:20 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: seastrike]
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Congrats Dogfish. My son (now 14) passed his test a couple years ago and its fun to have him along when out in the woods. Where are you taking the boys grouse hunting? I know its a ways away, but when I hunted mulies near Winthrop a few years ago there were lots of grouse. I had always planned to go back just for the birds, but have yet to make it. It's beautiful county over there as well.

#370827 - 08/24/07 02:24 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Little Fish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Colockum

#370842 - 08/24/07 03:38 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Dogfish]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
Skip the .410,I'm a good shotgunner and even I have a hard time with a .410

It just doesn't have much payload,and nothing sucks more for a kid than not being able to hit what you're shooting at.

IMO a .410 is an experts gun,not a kids.

#370909 - 08/24/07 11:35 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: SundayMoney]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
congrats i can't waite till i ahve a little one to show the ropes too.

#371152 - 08/27/07 01:07 AM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: hybridcx]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Well, we bought the .410, but I made them work for it. One of our family friends needed their house painted, so I put them to work, and they helped me get the house done in two days. (I have an airless sprayer so it wasn't that bad)

Last night we took it out and put lots of rounds through it. My little guy will have to wait a few years before he gets to head out with a gun, as he had issues even with the NEF Tamer .410. After a few 2.5" loads, he was done. He did okay with the .22LR, but he still needs to work on muzzle control, etc.

Hunter, on the other hand, shot about 40 rounds with the new gun. On clay birds he didn't do too well, shooting 1 for about 20, but it was a start. He tatered the cans with the .410 and did very well on apples with the .22LR. He shot a few 20 gauge rounds from our sinle shot NEF, but it is still a bit big for him. On cans, he was okay with it, but he did better with the .410.

I think we fired a total of about 80 rounds, and after I got the hang of it I was smoking clay pigeons with regularity. Hunter even handled the 3" shells without issue.

Look out Grouse. We're coming after you next weekend.

#371188 - 08/27/07 11:56 AM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Dogfish]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Congrats Hunter, Ryan, and the Ol' Man! Very cool.

Last grouse I shot was at 75 yards with my .45 ACP (built from a kit). POS - I call her "The Hanger Queen".

Finally got the gun working and after adding on some good sights, it's an amazingly accurate pistol.

Buddy said "bet you can't shoot that grouse over there."

Squinting, I took aim and blasted it in the head. Bet I couldn't do that again! ;\)

#371878 - 08/30/07 07:45 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: The Moderator]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
That's awesome Andy! You should take Hunter out for the youth opener on ducks. We took a friend one year and it was really, really fun. The local birds were easy pickin's for the young lad. We did a jump shoot on the same float that you, me and my old man did together, and just kind of set him up in the front of the boat, got out and snuck around a bit when we had a feeling we could get close.

If the river is low you shouldn't have jet boats pushing ducks off the bends up there and Hunter could easily gun a few down, or at least blow through a few dozen rounds. That way you can bring your rod along to keep you occupied, there will be kings up there, and maybe A run hooknose.

#372008 - 08/31/07 03:03 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Rocket Red]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
I still have my .410 single shot I received from my Dad (rip) when I was 12. I still remember how proud I was packing it for the first time. Grouse was the first I hunted also.
You've given your son a memory he most likely will never forget.

#373081 - 09/07/07 01:03 AM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Chuck E]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
To young to remember my first fish but will never forget getting my first gun and my first day in the field.
Good on ya and good luck Dad

#375727 - 09/19/07 03:29 PM Re: Two new hunters in the field! [Re: Achewter]
Theywentthatway! Offline
Fry

Loc: Yakima, Wa
That's awesome news!!!! I can't wait till my boys are old enough to take on their first hunting trip. I hope you have many years of family hunting ahead of you...
-Ian

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 760 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |