Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#535685 - 09/08/09 02:41 PM Blacktail Behaviour Theories
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
So hunting season is here for a lot of us, or will be starting really soon. I have been trying to do some scouting, taking as much time as I possibly can to learn places and habits of the deer in the units near my home. I don't have a lot of time to hunt, and thus most of my hunting will be confined to the first few hours of the day before work, and the last few after. That is just my lot in life, so I don't expect great things, but do hope for a couple of chances at a buck.

I am pretty new to deer hunting, having not done it for quite a while. I am hunting with a muzzleloader this year. The season starts Sept 26.

I would like to hear some of your general theories, about when BTs move (up in the mornings, down in the evenings), where they hang out, do you still hunt, stand hunt, or glass large areas? Do you like smaller units with heavy brush, big open units with smaller brush for glassing? What type of timber do you like to hunt and when? What is your favorite method to hunt BTs?

How do you rule out an area, or determine one as being a good one? It seems like every clear cut, or reprod unit I look in has deer sign, trails, munched off trees, poo, etc, and yet I see as many actual deer in locations where I don't see great amounts of sign.

I'm really curious as to how you all set your movements, stand locations, and any scouting tips you have. I have several places within 10 minutes of my back door that I have picked out. Some I have to ride my bike into, some I can drive and glass, some require still hunt methods, and others can be a combination?

Good luck this hunting season.

#535687 - 09/08/09 02:55 PM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: Rocket Red]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
I'd be thinking about finding some nice berry patches in late Sept. I love little patches or small orchards for early season. The river allows some good access as well IMO.

#535710 - 09/08/09 05:30 PM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: Castingpearls]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I'm floating the river on opening day. The kids day to hunt ducks, but I can hunt deer! Hopefully the new trolling motor works better than last year.

As far as other areas, get away from heavily traveled roads. Find old apple orchards, etc. Clearcut bowls that are not seen from the road are my favorites, as they allow for a great ambush site. Find big timber next to cuts. I like big timbered areas between two cuts. Food and safety in one location. I primarily still hunt. I hate sitting and glassing. Drives work well when you have 3 or 4 hunters, but most of my ML hunting is done alone. Think hammer and anvil. One blocker in a safe spot, and two or three drivers.

With our pet deer, we see movement all day long, but certainly more movement in the early morning and the two hours before dark. Thursday evening I was finishing up the painting on the front porch and the doe was there with her 2 fawns before it got dark. They stayed in the field until after 11pm feeding, and the 1x2 buck came out about 9pm or so. At one point I heard a "snort" and the buck was about 20 feet behind me, with the doe being pissed at his proximity to the fawns.

He shows up 2 or 3 nights a week around 9pm and sleeps under our apple trees, always the same bed. 110 yards from Hunter's bed room.

They have patterns, but their range, I'm unsure of.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#535711 - 09/08/09 05:38 PM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: Dogfish]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
I have a hard time passing up power lines as well. Especially if there isn't easy access to them. That's where the mountain bike comes in handy.

#535722 - 09/08/09 06:15 PM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: Castingpearls]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
just hunt the spike that is living behind the house you are remodeling

#535737 - 09/08/09 07:07 PM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: larryb]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
That unit isn't open until the late hunt. I have stalked him a few times for fun, he is a 1x2. There could be a spike too.
Originally Posted By: larryb
just hunt the spike that is living behind the house you are remodeling

Good stuff guys. I notice the East GH county folks have a lot of BT knowledge.

Good luck Dogfish, I won't be there to pick you up if you have motor troubles this time, I am missing opening morning, apparently I'll be at a play in Seattle with my wife. cryriver

This year will be even more fun because the river will be open for fishing, you might have to drag an ammo barge behind your DB.

#535901 - 09/09/09 10:07 AM Re: Blacktail Behaviour Theories [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I forgot about that, the fishing. A deer, some ducks and geese, and a few salmon thrown in would make for a bit of a boatload.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1445 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |