Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#565783 - 12/19/09 08:36 PM Spotlighting
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
I am in Eastern PA right now visiting with my wife's family.

About every hour or so, a pickup drives along the road and scans the front acreage with a highpower spot. The property is clearly marked and posted. I asked my wife's grandmother if this happens a lot and she said "Every night."
I was wondering, how well would it go over with you if you caught someone spotlighting your property.
I'd go fuggin' balistic.

And yes, it's illegal here, too.

#565784 - 12/19/09 08:57 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: Irie]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Back in VT we called it jackin' deer.
It would be fun to hit the unsuspecting jackers with a high octane laser pointer. grin

How's the weather ?

Edited by Direct-Drive (12/19/09 08:59 PM)

#565840 - 12/20/09 01:15 AM Re: Spotlighting [Re: Direct-Drive]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
license plate#? cell phone cam take pix __take care of Ma

#565841 - 12/20/09 01:18 AM Re: Spotlighting [Re: Coho]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
it is not aginast the law to spot light in washington just do not have a weapon in the rig unless the law has changed

#565851 - 12/20/09 03:25 AM Re: Spotlighting [Re: larryb]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: larryb
it is not aginast the law to spot light in washington just do not have a weapon in the rig unless the law has changed

That is correct.

And if a officer wanted to get really picky they could even write you a spotlighting ticket for just posessing the spotlight while also posessing the big game weapon. It is illegal to just posess a spotlight and a weapon for big game hunting. However actually using the light makes it a easier battle in court.

#565879 - 12/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: bigman]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
So hunting Yotes at night is not legal? I'm thinking you might get a ticket if it was during a big game season but would it stick if you were parked in a clear cut calling predators. They might try but I believe it's legal.

Something don't sound right.

Althought the story at hand sounds like they are looking for deer and even if they don't have a gun it can be looked at as harasment of game animals.

Kris

#565897 - 12/20/09 02:41 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: dcrzfitter]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: dcrzfitter
So hunting Yotes at night is not legal? I'm thinking you might get a ticket if it was during a big game season but would it stick if you were parked in a clear cut calling predators. They might try but I believe it's legal.

Something don't sound right.

Althought the story at hand sounds like they are looking for deer and even if they don't have a gun it can be looked at as harasment of game animals.

Kris

Straight from the Big Game regs:

Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and raccoon seasons, EXCEPT that it is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night
or wild animals with dogs (hounds) during the months of September, October, or November in any area open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season. (coyote is open year round)

#565906 - 12/20/09 03:18 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: bigman]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
So if the regs are the same there it could be legal to spotlight right now, but if that many guys are spotlighting you can bet some have guns and are ready to use them. You should put some of those fake deer out in the yard with some sort of camera along the road that could pickup the plate numbers.

#565922 - 12/20/09 05:12 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: Irie]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Wouldn't it be fitting to have a half dozen friends/relatives with those million candlepower rechargeable spotlights hiding in that lower field when the perp drives by and turns on his light? Think how much fun it would be to light up that pickup cab with everybody's spotlight trained on it all at once...can you say, "SURPRISE!!!" The mess on truck's upholstery would probably discourage Mr. Deer Jacker from shining that particular field again. Of course, there's always the chance the driver would be temporarily blinded, drive off the road, hit a tree and be permanently disabled or killed. In that case you're pretty much screwed, but you could try a self defense plea; after all, the other guy did "draw" first.

#565950 - 12/20/09 07:56 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: CedarR]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
My grandparents have a farm in northern VA and have tons of problems with guys road hunting and spot lighting. My grandpa has ended up with many dead deer in his fields that people shoot from their trucks and then leave when he chases them off. The neighbors have a brass deer statue that they put down in the woods. the damn thing has so many dents in it now that it hardly looks like a deer.
just seems to be a common thing out there. I dont know why the guys insist on shooting the deer, they could just drive around and pick up a fresh one on the side of the road.

#565971 - 12/20/09 09:31 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: D3Smartie]
bigman Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I cant remember which state it is, either w virginia or virginia, but one of those states allows you to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. to me that basically promotes spotlighting

#565973 - 12/20/09 09:43 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: bigman]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Nothin wrong with using the light. Camera crews filming wildlife at night do it all the time. Flash lights, porch light, head lights, spotlight. Its just an illuminary device. If you decide to poach at night and you use a light to aid your poaching then you are a poacher. Its the act of poaching that is wrong not shining a light.

j7 2012

#566018 - 12/21/09 12:48 AM Re: Spotlighting [Re: j 7]
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Well Friday and Saturday night they have chased down spotlighters in the Methow. Caught one I know of with a .30-30. Just hope they nail them hard. They where turned in for shooting at deer, so no excuse for saying its coyotes or bobcats.

#566048 - 12/21/09 10:08 AM Re: Spotlighting [Re: On The Hook]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
In WA it's illegal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle, period. It's also illegal to shoot from or down any right-of-way. Same as PA.
Yesterday we walked up the property line and found some Trespasser's tree stand installed ON the tree with the No Hunting sign posted on it. His Scent strips were nailed to the trees facing the house.
I've heard stories about "Pennsatucky Meat Farmers" and how they make our snaggers look like a decent lot, but the level of disrespect here is unbelievable.

#566079 - 12/21/09 01:38 PM Re: Spotlighting [Re: Irie]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
If and when spotlights are illegal only deer will have spotlights

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1456 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |