Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#620905 - 09/11/10 02:00 AM thinking about buying a new toy. need help
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
thinking about buying a Henry lever action but can't make up my mind between a 22 or a 17 caliber. what do you think?

#620926 - 09/11/10 10:29 AM Re: thinking about buying a new toy. need help [Re: larryb]
r2fishn Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: tacoma
I bought a 17hmr about a month ago its a savage stainless bull barrel had welchers in tacoma mount a 24x50 scope on it I had layn around.haven't shot it yet but hope to make it to the range in a few weeks to sight it in,and then its on for groundhogs should be a lot of fun.Cost a bit more to shoot than a 22 but at 12 bucks for 50 rounds still not to bad I have found some rounds at gun shows for around 8 to 10 bucks a box.Hot little round necked down 22mag to 17cal they look like little missiles.The Henry is a pretty sweet looking rifle haven't herd any bad reports on them .should be fun either way you go.

#621012 - 09/11/10 11:58 PM Re: thinking about buying a new toy. need help [Re: r2fishn]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have a DU edition Henry in .22LR. Very smooth little gun, it shoots very well and is as accurate as I am. No slop in the lever mechanism at all. The wood on the gun is exceptional for your basic .22LR lever gun, and is better than the wood on any of my other firearms.

Henry makes the Varmint Express version in .17 HMR, This is a smoking little cartridge. I have a Marlin bolt gun in .17HMR and a stainless bull barrel. It shoots well out to 175 yards for me, and the first crow I took with one has a pretty nasty exit wound. Ask Hunter the next time you see him.

For ammo, R2 is spot on for prices, and considering it is rimfire ammo, mine shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yards. BSA makes a "Sweet 17" scope which has a bullet drop compensator based on yardage and a specfic zero. It works well and is reasonably priced.

I'd go with the .22Mag or .17 HMR, just plain more power and versatility. Ammo is more, but it does more than a .22LR. The .17 Hornady Mach 2 seems like a bit of a compromise unless all you plan to shoot is starlings and targets. If you want something faster than the .22LR with stingers, why not really take a step up?

If you would like to try either, let me know and we can meet up.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#621022 - 09/12/10 12:21 AM Re: thinking about buying a new toy. need help [Re: Dogfish]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

i have shot both. i have a ruger 10 22. will probably go with the 17. trying to decide between the VARMINT EXPRESS LEVER 17HMR or GOLDEN BOY LEVER 17HMR.
the varmint is for a scope which would probably be better with my old eyes. thanks for the imfo

#621322 - 09/13/10 04:14 PM Re: thinking about buying a new toy. need help [Re: larryb]
WalleyeWorld Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake, Washington
I have a henry golden boy 22lr. I love this little gun, smooth action. Trigger had a little creep and wasnt as light as I like so I had Jim Henry (no affiliation) do a trigger job on it. Creep is gone and it breaks like glass at about 1.5lbs. Really a fun little plinker and very accurate.
Bret

#621742 - 09/15/10 05:41 PM Re: thinking about buying a new toy. need help [Re: WalleyeWorld]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

i ended up going with the 22 mag. it was on sale for 50 less and it shoot a bullet that weighs twice as much and only 2 or 3 hundern foot pounds less

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 760 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |