THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#702498 - 09/06/11 06:24 PM My son's first deer...
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Last year I took my son Jake rifle hunting. We had a giant two point muley at thirty yards but without that third point he was safe. Jake has had shots at coyotes, pheasants and has actually connected on a few ducks, but this is really his first solid success.

We left last Wednesday evening for Kettle Falls. My buddy and I manage a pay to hunt ranch over there called Gallo Springs. There is a website if you want to read more.

We arrived about 11:30 that evening and were up at 4 the next morning and in a box blind by 4:45. We had deer in and out all morning but they were not legal, not big enough or just outside of Jake’s effective 35 yard range. Most notably was a 4x5 that was scratching his ear with his hind foot at 45 yards. Jake was begging me to let him try but I made him pass.

The next day was mostly uneventful but on the third day I took Jake for an extended still-hunt (dark to dark). We jumped several nice bucks and a ton of does, shared a few meals and threw pine cones at each other over the course of the day. Late in the evening we sat on the crest of a small knob to rest. We had been there about two minutes when a two point browsed from behind some scrub brush. Then a 4x4 followed. As they fed towards us, I got Jake up on his knees and we discussed yardage and what to do if they got within range. It was about then the wind swirled and they busted us. Jake wanted to follow them and it took some convincing to get him to understand once they wind us they are gone. Jake saw two bucks coming in just then and was sure it was the same two. It didn’t take binoculars to see he was wrong- there was a 4x4 and another that I never got the chance to actually count the point but suffice it to say it was roughly twice the height and width. Unfortunately, it was de ja vu with the previous wind scenario. We decided the next morning we would put a ladder stand in this location and let it rest a day before hunting.

The following morning Jake walked the hour in, by himself, in the dark. That may not sound so daunting but to a thirteen year old walking a skid road in the dark, along a swamp, for an hour is a crazy idea. There are plenty of bears and cougars but the worst of it is his imagination of course. Two hours later I got a text saying he was too cold to stay out a second longer and I met him half way on his way out.

I got him back to the cabin, fed him and he took a two hour nap. He was back on the stand by one and it was about then I started out walking from the cabin back to his stand. It took me three hours to get there and now he was suffering from heat exposure and boredom. I had packed fresh clothes, used a whole bottle of water hosing him off and gave him some food. Add another half hours of horsing around with sticks water and pine cones again too. To counter the boredom, I took all of the M&Ms out of his trail mix and put them in the side pocket of his pants… I told him he can only take one nut at a time and has to chew them each twenty five times. Off he went again around 4 p.m.

We texted back and forth all evening. A couple does here and there. I scouted and pushed the adjacent draws in the hopes to get the animals moving earlier in the day and push a buck to him.

About seven, he text me that a 3x2 was just out of range but it was coming closer and he was pretty sure he would get a shot. Fifteen minutes later he sent “I HIT HIM! I HIT HIM! (he sent the same text three times)

I ran to his stand and stepped away. He said the buck was perfectly broadside and had his head turned away when he released, but jumped forward at the sound of the string. Jake thought he made a perfect gut shot as a result. It was just getting dark so we quietly went to the spot where the buck was standing, marked it and took a quick scan for the arrow, then we backed out for the night.

The next morning, we drove the Kubota out and started to look. We had good blood within five yards and had it on both sides of the trail. My confidence was building. About forty yards up the trail the blood stopped completely and we spent about 45 minutes on our hands and knees trying to figure out which of three possible routes it took to get out of the draw. I searched the perimeter of the draw for an exit trail to the wheat. As I came full circle to the opposite side of the draw, Jake held up the arrow; the missing piece of the puzzle. I was excited for that and started down hill. Seems while I was marching the perimeter, they had marked the blood trail with tape, a total CSI maneuver, and the tape showed the obvious… the deer had backtracked about fifteen feet and veered left. As I walked down the hill to see the arrow, I almost stumbled across his buck.

Pictures tell the rest of the story.

Attachments
2.JPG

Description: Jake asleep in the blind on day one after driving and three hours of sleep

3.JPG

Description: an evening blind. does and fawns all around. tried calling in a cotyote from across the field

4.JPG

Description: installed ladder stand

4.5.JPG

Description: walking in

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#702505 - 09/06/11 06:41 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: JTD]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

It was a week of firsts for him-

Long trip away from home
Climbing trees
Driving
Blood Trailing
Being able to swear
Walking in woods alone
First deer
First meat processing.

I could go on.

Attachments
5.JPG

Description: dinner and pine cones

6.JPG

Description: success the next morning

8.JPG

Description: the ten foot drag to the Kubota :)

Edited by JTD (09/06/11 06:42 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#702510 - 09/06/11 06:50 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: JTD]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Congrats to your son

#702517 - 09/06/11 07:06 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Coho]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Going back I left out that it was a thirty yard shot and while it was about six inches back from being perfect, it centered the liver. Also, it is obviously a 4x4. Not the biggest one we saw during the trip but it is the one that comes home that matters.

#702529 - 09/06/11 07:45 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: JTD]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Good looking buck!
Congrats to him!

#702553 - 09/06/11 09:08 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Twitch]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Now there's a milestone.

Congrats to the kid.
My son took his first ever buck with a bow too.
Hope it's the first of many.
thumbs

#702556 - 09/06/11 09:09 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Twitch]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Absolutely awesome, and the fact that he got it himself tops it off. That is pretty freakin' cool.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#702561 - 09/06/11 09:26 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Well...that's a pretty fantastic story.

Congratulations!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#702563 - 09/06/11 09:32 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Todd]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Amazing. Congrats all around.

#702671 - 09/07/11 11:19 AM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

To all...

Thanks for the kind words; coming from peers I hold in high esteem.

I think Jake will remember it for the rest of his life and, for me, this was a remarkable experience; I dreamt about the possibility of this trip the day he was born. I am not sure he is driven to hunting and fishing like I was at his age... I know he enjoys it though. I hoped for a hunting partner but I wanted it to be his choice, not mine. So, in that respect I am lucky to share what I have learned with him.

As far as gutting goes... he was helpful and didn't mind getting his hands dirty. He wasn't squeamish at all and he played with the heart and lungs. It was an opportunity for an anatomy lesson. He was responsible for exactly half the boning and trimming process- we divided the quarters and stood side by side for a couple hours. He was good company, calm and thoughtful, I imagine he will be a good worker someday.

I dropped his buck off at the taxidermist yesterday. I tried to talk Jake into a shoulder mount but he has his heart set on a European skull mount. I think he is making a mistake but oh well.

Now he is back in school and with his mom. I was up until midnight last night grinding hamburger alone and while I don't miss the EX at all, when it comes to the kids, I wish things were different.

#702686 - 09/07/11 12:09 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: JTD]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Right on!

looks like you have yourself a hunting partner for life....

#702689 - 09/07/11 12:25 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Driftfishnw]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Just awesome. Congrats Jake.

#702751 - 09/07/11 04:56 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Rocket Red]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
you never forget your first deer

#702753 - 09/07/11 05:27 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: larryb]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
That was a totally cool story and congrates to both of you and many more in the future.Good luck,
SZ

#702887 - 09/08/11 03:49 AM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Nothing beter than your Kids making you proud. Congrats !!!
sounds like we may have a few things in common.

#703013 - 09/08/11 06:27 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I am not sure he is driven to hunting and fishing like I was at his age...

Well fark me he walks an hour in the dark alone to get to the stand. I'm thinking hes into it pretty good.

I still get nervous walking down the trail to the Nort Fork in the dark.

#703017 - 09/08/11 07:05 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: Dave Vedder]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

He is doing great, I agree with you Mr Vedder... Just when I was his age I would have RAN to the stand.

smile

There is no question he worked hard for this buck. He spent nineteen hours in various stands, endured heat, cold, potentially dangerous animals and being alone. His commitment was clear to me and he deserves all the accolades.

He was very excited at the time and is still excited now. He isn't particularly remorseful but I guess the question will be how excited he will be next year when the season opens. Time will tell.

Thanks to a girl in his class and Facebook, the whole school knows where he was during the first two days of school. The vast majority of the response has been positive except, according to Jake, one teacher openly disapproved in class. I suggested he ask that teacher what they would do if Albertson's closed... starve? Knowing Jake, he will just let it slide.

Opinions? Strategy? Should I just let it slide too?

#703029 - 09/08/11 07:33 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

IRONICALLY....

The teacher is a guy FYI

BUT that was some funny stuff! You have a way master 2many.

smile

#703039 - 09/08/11 08:08 PM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: JTD]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
If a guy teacher said that he probably has been choking down a few tube steaks. This is a bad thing and you should not go out with him!!! Tell your son not to stay after class alone with him and let him know what he may be dealing with
banana

#703342 - 09/10/11 12:29 AM Re: My son's first deer... [Re: ]
fishhog Offline
Spawner

Loc: Whatcom
Very Cool !!! Congrats

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1412 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |