LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#807400 - 12/13/12 11:25 PM been seeing a lot of this...
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
I stumbled across another rub today.

I was hunting an area made up of two enormous reprod patches that are separated by an old grassy road. while walking down the road I saw the rub and upon closer inspection of the area I saw two more rubs within ten feet of this one. the other two looked like last years rubs. the one in the picture looked pretty fresh and is right at the head of a game trail leading into the reprod. I'm guessing that trial will lead to a bedding area. I didn't go in because the blackberry bushes were intense. I'll be scouting there a bit!

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#807472 - 12/14/12 12:29 PM Re: been seeing a lot of this... [Re: steeliedrew]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
The rut kicked in about 3 weeks ago and peaked last week. It's on the down swing right now. I have an orchard with apples still falling and have not seen a deer in the past week during daylight. They go nocturnal every year at this time. A tree stand in a cluster of rubs like that is a great bet. The rubs mark the edges of a dominant bucks center zone which can be as much of a square mile. Be in the stand before light and stay until dark. Rattle some horns and watch for movement. They bed down in the black berries and you will see them stand stretch piss and reposition through out the day. They also like to bed under big cedars that have sweepers all the way to the ground. Most people walk right past them. When the wind blows they bed in the open on steep hillsides that face the wind to avoid falling limbs. Does are real jumpy right now from being chased by the bucks for the past month. They have been separated from this years fawns and are looking to join back up now.

#807555 - 12/14/12 04:47 PM Re: been seeing a lot of this... [Re: Us and Them]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I'm gonna let this spot cool down but will be scouting it pretty hard soon. Two huge patches of 15' reprod with alders mixed in and an alder filled creek bottom make up the area.

here's a question...my fear is that in the spring and summer the black berry bushes in there will be out of control and make it so I cannot scout. would it bump the deer out if I did some low impact brush clearing to blaze a trail for me to get in the reprod and hang cams and such? Like maybe make my own trail as to not disturb normal traveling lanes for the deer?

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#807592 - 12/14/12 08:00 PM Re: been seeing a lot of this... [Re: steeliedrew]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Any trimming you do will attract the deer. They eat the soft new growth where you trim.

#807609 - 12/14/12 09:28 PM Re: been seeing a lot of this... [Re: Us and Them]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

perfect. I'll just make sure and wear gloves and rubber boots to keep my stink to a minimum. I'm pumped to get a camera or two in there and to do some shed hunting in there soon.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 704 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |