Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#817885 - 01/25/13 03:42 PM Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham

With all of the controversy going on with gun control, I like a lot of people opened the gun cabinet to see just what I have, and what more do I need while I can still get it (if it comes to that)
What I found was memories and a treasure chest of my past.
I picked out a rifle shouldered it and immediatly remembered the first deer I ever shot many years ago. This rifle I bought after working a summer job in high school Remington 788 .308 had open sights on it back then. I Remember where I was, time of day, and the shot. I remember shaking so bad I had to lean against a tree to steady myself. Got that deer right through the heart.
The .410 single shot my dad gave me when I was 12. winchester steelbuilt model 37. Remember first thing I ever shot with it was a jackrabbit. Funny how my wife says I can't remember [Bleeeeep!] any more Guess that proves her wrong.
And my Parker Hale 7mm mag actually had a guy want to trade straight across for his weatherby 300 win mag while humping miles across the Owyhee mountains in Idaho looking for a nice buck. His shoulder was killing him from the weight of the weatherby while the 7mm fully loaded with scope and all is probably 7 pounds or so.
Anyway found my Grandfathers old 16 gauge double Handed down to him by his dad. Don't know very much about it other than it is a Hopkins & Allen Arms Company serial 8##. I read where these were actually mail order guns made between 1898 to 1915 you could buy for $5.00 to $10.00 back then. Of course It brings back no memories to me other than my Grandfathers face who has been gone for almost 30 years. Its not worth much as a collectable and having damascus barrels I wouldn't even think of trying to fire it. If only guns could talk!
Just Thought I would share some memories and a picture of an old treasure Post em if you got em.

Ramprat

#817896 - 01/25/13 04:01 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: ramprat]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nice idea.

I'll post a few when I get home.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#817940 - 01/25/13 06:03 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: Dogfish]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Nice idea.

I'll post a few when I get home.

make sure you wear clean shoes in order to get the best pics wink

#817942 - 01/25/13 06:07 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

I'd love to post up some of the guns my dad has in his safe...

About 30 years ago, he broke both his feet and was confined to a wheelchair for 6 weeks, unable to work. So he built the stocks for 3 rifles and a shotgun... it is unbelievable workmanship. Two of them are birdseye maple, one fiddleback maple, and one is myrtle wood...

my mom used to get so pissed at all the wood shavings he left in the living room...

#817970 - 01/25/13 10:18 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Piper

make sure you wear clean shoes in order to get the best pics wink

Sorry, had to gather eggs.

Grampa Forest's 740 Woodmaster in .30-06. Made in 1955. Had a beat up and broken forearm, and the stock wasn't much better. He fed my mom's family with this for a number of years, having taken elk, deer, and a number of caribou with it when he headed up to AK. I've taken two elk, three deer, and a number of coyotes with this old rifle. Added a William's peep sight. Great heavy timber gun.

Grampa Louis' Savage model 1907 in .380. One of my few safe queens, althought I have carried it once or twice.

Stevens Junior, belonged to my dad after buying it second hand, or third hand. Cute little .22. No firing pin, otherwise the boys would have been shooting this little gem.

Mossberg 46M bolt action rifle. Dad used this for target practice and it was his first real .22 rifle. Weighs about 9lbs. Have the front sight, just need to rethread the hole for it, or get another screw.

Wife's grampa's Savage 99. Sweet little rifle in .30-30. 20" barrel, shoots like a laser. Wife's grampa, uncle, and her mom have all taken deer with it. Still trying to break it in so we can claim a deer with it.

Remington Elliot. 5 shot fixed barrel, rotating firing pin. Doesn't function (pin doesn't rotate), and the round ring is the trigger.

Wife's uncle Paul's Ruger Mark 1.

Okay, so maybe really not his pistol, as the only parts left from the pistol include the grip frame, a few internal parts, the trigger and the bolt. Taken a few grouse with it in the past few years. Fun pistol, strangely quiet for some reason. Looking forward to carrying it over the next few years as my regular sidearm when hunting. After ditching the bull barrel, It has lost a solid pound or more in weight.

Uncle Paul's 740 in .280 Remington (7MM Express).

Hunter took a nice deer with this a few years back.

Uncle Paul's 1897.

Barrel says "full". Somehow I doubt that a 18.5" barrell came in full choke. Still a little chicken to shoot this. Oldest son wants me to get it checked out so we can shoot it. Might try it out with trap loads and a string, then use it as a grouse gun. We'll see.

I am the receiver of my family's firearms. None of them are priceless relics, mostly junk to everybody else, but if we can shoot them, we do, and if we can kill something with them, by all means to we try. It is alwasy great reporting back to the family member that handed the firearm to us that we took a deer, or elk, or grouse with it, as it always evolves into a conversation of said relative, and their love of hunting. Pretty blessed to have hunters on both sides of the family.

Thanks in advance for the compliments on the pictures. Redhook taught me all I know.

#817972 - 01/25/13 10:31 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: Dogfish]
redhook
Unregistered

you dog learns well too wink

nice weapons DF...

#818015 - 01/26/13 10:50 AM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: ]
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
Nice collection,
Recognized some of them right away especially the Savage rifles with there tapered forend.
Don't see any junk there.

#818463 - 01/28/13 08:51 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: ]
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
That 1897 looks strange somehow. Where is the hammer?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

#818514 - 01/28/13 11:55 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: grumpyr]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: grumpyr
That 1897 looks strange somehow. Where is the hammer?

Hammer is back, taken from slightly below the horizontal plane, not at 90 degrees.

#818517 - 01/29/13 12:19 AM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: Dogfish]
redhook
Unregistered

your barrel on that 1897 was originally a full choke, but was cut down... thats why it says full on it... no where near a full now, and probably would be safer to shoot than a barrel that hasnt been cut... metals way thicker wink

#818550 - 01/29/13 11:01 AM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: Dogfish]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Dog,

That model 99 savage you have is awesome! I hunt with that exact same gun except it a 300 savage caliber. inherited from my Gramps.... great old gun, just a little heavy

#818587 - 01/29/13 02:45 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: big moby]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

We hunted with the 99 this year, just didn't have anything step out in front of us. The center of balance is perfect, and it is a tack driver, even with open sights.

#818588 - 01/29/13 02:46 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: big moby]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Tipped over my first buck with an already well worn '99. Still have a soft spot for 'em.....

#822059 - 02/11/13 07:15 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: Driftin']
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
I would but I lost all mine in a boating accident last year smile.

#822287 - 02/12/13 02:46 PM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw
I would but I lost all mine in a boating accident last year smile.

Me too. Luckily the boat is fine but all my guns were lost.

#822511 - 02/13/13 02:41 AM Re: Old memories from the gun cabinet Lets see pics [Re: stlhdr42]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
I hear ya brothers. I am either going to have to stop buying guns or stop putting them in my boat. I'll give it a few more trys but i'm getting concerned. Seems that in the dirtiest, deepest most scary part of any body of water lerks a gun magnet. Be careful out there.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 794 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |