LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#914918 - 12/03/14 03:28 PM Hunter Education and 594.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
December 2, 2014

M E M O

To: Hunter Education Instructors

SUBJECT: ANALYSIS OF INITIATIVE 594

Dear Instructors,

During the November election, the voters enacted Initiative 594, concerning background checks on firearm sales and transfers. I-594 becomes effective on December 4, 2014. The Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), in close consultation with our legal counsel in the Attorney General’s Office, has assessed the potential effects of I-594 on the Hunter Education Program, our instructors, and our prospective students. We do not believe that I-594 will significantly affect the program.

I will briefly summarize our analysis below. More detail will follow in the next few days.
• I-594 requires that all firearms sales or transfers in Washington be subject to background checks and be made through licensed dealers, unless specifically exempted.
• I-594 exempts all law enforcement agencies from the background check/transfer requirement. WDFW, as a general authority Washington law enforcement agency pursuant to RCW 10.93.020(1), is therefore exempt from this requirement. Any firearms purchase, sale or transfer to or from WDFW or WDFW employees when acting within the scope of their authority, is exempt from the background check/transfer requirement in I-594.
• The Hunter Education Program is a WDFW program authorized by state law pursuant to RCW 77.32.155(1)(a). Hunter Education Instructors, when in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program, act on behalf of WDFW, and are therefore exempt from the background check/transfer requirements. This exemption extends to Hunter Education Instructors whether or not they are actually in the classroom, provided that they are in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program. (Firearms transfers by Hunter Education Instructors that are not for the purpose of the Hunter Education Program and within the scope of their authority as WDFW volunteers, are not entitled to this exemption.)
• Transfers of firearms between Hunter Education Instructors (when in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program) and sports clubs, gun clubs, and other non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are also exempt from the background check/transfer requirements.
• Transfers of firearms between Hunter Education Instructors and Hunter Education students are also exempt from the background check/transfer requirements of I-594, when the Hunter Education Instructors are in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program. Again, this is because the firearm transfer is to or from Hunter Education Instructors acting on behalf of WDFW, a law enforcement agency.
• I-594 contains limited specific exemptions for certain temporary transfers of firearms kept at shooting ranges and temporary transfers of firearms to persons under the eighteen for educational purposes. Although Hunter Education instruction is an educational purpose and may occur at a shooting range, these two exemptions do not limit or override the broader background check exemption applicable to law enforcement agencies. Therefore, within the constraints described above, transfers of firearms between volunteer Hunter Education Instructors and students are exempt by virtue of WDFW being a law enforcement agency, regardless of the age of the student, and regardless of whether the firearm is removed from a shooting range.
• Although we are still evaluating I-594, it does not initially appear that student-to-student transfers of firearms would fall within the general WDFW exemption for law enforcement agencies. For students under eighteen, however, temporary firearms transfers for educational purposes are exempt if the student is under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult (such as a Hunter Education Instructor) who may lawfully possess firearms. Students eighteen and older are not entitled to this exemption. However, regardless of the age of the person, temporary transfers that occur at an established, authorized shooting range are also exempt, if the transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at the range. If adult student-to-student transfers are not exempt, then adult students may, without triggering I-594’s background check/transfer requirements—
 Use inert firearms or air rifles (which do not meet the definition of a firearm); or
 Hand their functional firearms to an instructor who then hands it to the other student.

In summary, the transfer/background check exemption I- 594 applies to the following transfers of firearms to or from WDFW Hunter Education Instructors while in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program:
• Between WDFW employees and Hunter Education Instructors
• From one Hunter Education Instructor to another Hunter Education Instructor
• Between Hunter Education Instructors and NGOs
• Between Hunter Education Instructors and students

Additionally, student-to-student transfers may also be exempt under the circumstances and for the reasons described above. Where such transfers are not exempt, we believe that minimal changes to classroom procedures will avoid conflicts with I-594.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#914924 - 12/03/14 03:52 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You don't mean to say that Obama didn't grab everyone's guns when he enacted the Gun Amnesty Law of 2015 by Executive Order to distract everyone from Ebolaghazi?

While I still wish there was a better campaign to get the "no" vote better represented in the vote on Initiative 594, I'm not surprised that the sky has yet to fall in, either.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#914932 - 12/03/14 04:24 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Todd]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

No, not chicken little here. 594 makes the instructors go through some very specific hoops. How an instructor with no LEO background gets considered to be LEO on the basis of this letter is a bit beyond me.

In a classroom setting (not at an authorized range) the instructor can hand a minor a firearm, but not an adult?

How about simulating a fence crossing, one person holds both firearms, the first person crosses, then the second hands them the firearms, as has been taught in every hunter ed class I've attended (4 entire classes total I've attended taking my boys and relatives through for their cards)? Students cant hand to students because they are not hunting, they aren't at a range, they are not licensed to hunt (they're in hunter ed), and so on.

Pure stupidity.

This essentially puts two State law enforcement agencies at odds. WSP says the act of handing a firearm to another doesn't violate 594. WDFW says it does. Not groovy.

Edited by Dogfish (12/03/14 04:28 PM)

#914938 - 12/03/14 04:50 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Dogfish]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
the sky is falling and 594 is going to help save us is total bull chit that has taken away some of my freedom. It pisses me off. I will give away a gun today just because I still can. Anyone want to sell me one ?

#914941 - 12/03/14 05:13 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
No, not chicken little here. 594 makes the instructors go through some very specific hoops. How an instructor with no LEO background gets considered to be LEO on the basis of this letter is a bit beyond me.

In a classroom setting (not at an authorized range) the instructor can hand a minor a firearm, but not an adult?

How about simulating a fence crossing, one person holds both firearms, the first person crosses, then the second hands them the firearms, as has been taught in every hunter ed class I've attended (4 entire classes total I've attended taking my boys and relatives through for their cards)? Students cant hand to students because they are not hunting, they aren't at a range, they are not licensed to hunt (they're in hunter ed), and so on.

Pure stupidity.

This essentially puts two State law enforcement agencies at odds. WSP says the act of handing a firearm to another doesn't violate 594. WDFW says it does. Not groovy.

I agree with all of that...here's the rub, though:

No one will ever be prosecuted for holding someone else's gun while they are stepping over a fence. Ever. Neither will the guy handing the other guy the gun while he climbs over. Ever.

No one will ever be prosecuted at a Hunter's Safety Course. Ever.

Fish on...

Todd

#914960 - 12/03/14 07:28 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Todd]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

While you are probably correct on those specific scenarios, I am not so optimistic in the real world. The law opens up lots of possibilities for selective prosecution, specifically when you look at what happened with initiative 713.

http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article/Mole-traps-can-lead-to-mountain-of-trouble-1235780.php

#914965 - 12/03/14 07:56 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Dogfish]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Except that the animal rights folks pushing 713 fully intended the law to cover mole traps, too, and any other kind of trap that they found to be "cruel".

594 is intended to keep guns out of the hands of criminals (irrelevant as to whether or not it actually does, or does not, for this conversation), so behavior like holding your buddy's shotgun as he climbs a fence or handing a gun to a kid at a Hunter's Education/Safety course is not ever going to be a problem.

You know that I voted against 594, and you know that I think the jackasses who walk around waving their 74 IQs around calling other people idiots when those other people are the ones we needed to vote against 594 are the ones that really fukked this up, but I also think that being afeard of stuff like this happening is counterproductive, too...not to mention the fact that it does no good now.

We should have had all the idiots that were on "our side" learn some of these things beforehand and talk about that instead of attacking the very people they needed to vote against it.

Fish on...

Todd

#914968 - 12/03/14 08:13 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Todd]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I would hope you are correct. We may see a test of the law very shortly, especially since it goes into effect tomorrow.

#914969 - 12/03/14 08:13 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Achewter]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I have a Bushmaster AR looking for a new home.

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#915039 - 12/04/14 08:15 AM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: JTD]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Selectively enforced laws are great.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#915121 - 12/04/14 08:21 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Todd]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Todd
You don't mean to say that Obama didn't grab everyone's guns when he enacted the Gun Amnesty Law of 2015 by Executive Order to distract everyone from Ebolaghazi?

While I still wish there was a better campaign to get the "no" vote better represented in the vote on Initiative 594, I'm not surprised that the sky has yet to fall in, either.

Fish on...

Todd

The sky isn't falling but that doesn't mean this is OK. This is a personal liberty issue and another step further into death by administration. Every time we allow these kinds of laws to pass we further restrict our liberties. The fact that it might be illegal to pass my rifle to my hunting partner, or that I might not be able to loan my rifle to a friend is lunacy. The fact that we even have to consider the legality of a common sense act, loaning an inanimate object to a friend, is lunacy.

The only reason this even flies is there are more people who don't handle guns than do, the ones who don't don't care about the inconvenience they are causing others. Image if we had this law for letting a friend drive your car, you know, something that actually kills many more people than guns.

Our government represents us well, they control us because we let them.

#915123 - 12/04/14 08:26 PM Re: Hunter Education and 594. [Re: Dogfish]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
While you are probably correct on those specific scenarios, I am not so optimistic in the real world. The law opens up lots of possibilities for selective prosecution, specifically when you look at what happened with initiative 713.

http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article/Mole-traps-can-lead-to-mountain-of-trouble-1235780.php

Exactly, having your buddy hold you rifle won't be an issue until someone needs a reason to bust you for something, then, it is a technicality and they are searching your truck and seizing your phone. It happens with fishing rules we already have.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1445 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |