Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75165 - 09/13/02 03:06 PM calling deer
hobiecat Offline
Alevin

Loc: sumner,wa
i was wondering if blacktail deer could be susceptable to calls, like a doe bleet or rattling in western washington.

#75166 - 09/13/02 04:29 PM Re: calling deer
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
I've had lots of "luck" using a fawn bleat for several years. The incidents or far to nuimerous to list here, but most instances fall somewhere between full blown panic and comical. If you are looking over an area like a clearcut or canyon side if you softly bleat, often times unseen deer will stand up and show themselves. Also, when slowly walking through the woods, I will occasionally give the call a toot to hopefully make the deer think that another deer is making noise, not me. If you see a deer moving along and want to make it stop and raise its' head, a soft call normally do the trick. Once I was in the woods when a doe went flying by with a buck in hot pursuit. I could hear the deer crunching around about 100 yds. away but couldn't see them. I blew the call and was very glad I was standing behind a tree! The deer came steaming towards be at Mach speed and all I had time to do was fire a quick round from the hip. The buck skidded to dead stop only about 3 feet from me! Obviously in this instance the deer were in rut, but I would encourage you to experiment with a fawn or doe bleat call. Two more words of "wisdom" - Don't call too often, and Always remember to look behind you after you have blown the call. It also doesn't hurt to wait around in an area for about half and hour. Sometimes the deer show themselves pretty quick, sometimes they take their time and drift in after awhile. That's my 2 cents worth. I've had enough luck that I don't go out in the woods without a call. Give it a try. Good luck!

#75167 - 09/13/02 06:45 PM Re: calling deer
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
I have had good success on both Muleys and Blacktails using the fawn/doe bleat as well as the occasional soft grunt.
I have used them to stop deer that are running away as well.
We had a doe and a fawn run across our path some years back. My brother blew the bleat and instead of the doe and faun coming a nice jigh 2 point came barreling down the trail snorting at us. He realized he made a mistake a little too late. He veered to the right but my brother beat him to it and dropped him in his tracks. All told, it was about 7 yds. from his feet to his deer.
That alone sold me on the use of the bleat call. Give it a try, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1426 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |