LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75989 - 02/05/03 03:01 PM best scope for under $300?
sturgio Offline
Parr

Loc: lacey
i am going to buy a scope for my 30.06 before next hunting season, was wonder what your guys opinion is on to what scope is best for its price

#75990 - 02/05/03 03:19 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I do not have the exact model number with me but a Bausch and Lomb will have clearer optics then a Leupold at the same price.

#75991 - 02/05/03 03:23 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
My first choice would be a Leupold, which is on all of my guns. Then my next choice be a Burris.

#75992 - 02/05/03 03:50 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I like Nikon scopes,but Leupold also makes great scopes.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75993 - 02/05/03 04:03 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
chromeslayer Offline
Fry

Loc: Chehalis, WA
Hey Sturgio,
Just curious, miss too many chances at deer with the scope or you a gut-shooter. Usually someone looking for a new scope only means one thing, don't have confidence in their last one. let the big ones go and settle for the management bucks or what?

chromeslayer

#75994 - 02/05/03 04:07 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
sturgio Offline
Parr

chromeslayer,
just looking for something reliable, the scope i have on my rifle now came with the gun, an old redwind that gets fogged up, looking for a scope that is clear, waterproof, fog proof,and dependable

#75995 - 02/05/03 05:03 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
sturg, ever heard anyone say anything bad about a Leopold, I hav'nt. Nuff said

#75996 - 02/05/03 05:13 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Here's a suggestion if $$$ is a concern. Buy a used Leupold... the warranty is a life time one so you'd get the benefit of it if you needed.

I'm a Leupold fan. Bought my first one in 1967, a 3x9 vari-x II. I'm still shooting it on one of my guns...not sure which. Most of my guns have Leupolds on them. Others have Banners, ScopeChiefs, Tascos, Redfields and such. Only two types stand out. The Leupolds and the one Bushnell ScopeChief I have.

Do have a couple of scopes that move around under recoil.... and some that when I add some "clicks", give me more adjustment than what I "clicked" in. Those are the cheaper Tascos and some other similar ones. Not saying all Tasco's are cheap, but there were some.

My binoculars are close to 20 year old Leupolds too.

#75997 - 02/05/03 05:22 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
josh870 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA, usa
i think the low end leupold is around 240 or lower. great scope. i love my 2x7 on my 06

#75998 - 02/05/03 10:31 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
You can't go wrong with a leupold, if you can afford it. I also liket teh Bausch and laum scopes with the rain guard. I personally use a Simmons 44 amg on my 7MM mag and haven't had any problems with it. It is a 3-10 power. Simmons also makes the Atec which is a very nice scope aslo. Simmons is les expensive than the other 2, but are very good scopes. I wouldn't hestitate to buy another Simmons. Mine has taken some pretty nasty abuse for a scope.
Buck

#75999 - 02/07/03 09:06 AM Re: best scope for under $300?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Watch ebay for a leupold. Or get a bausch and lomb 3200. I guess its a busnell now. Anyways the quality of leupold is obvious, but with the bushnell 3200 you can breathe on both ends and still see through the scope. Something you can not do with a leupold. Go to www.bearbasin.com they have really good prices.
Glow

#76000 - 02/07/03 10:22 AM Re: best scope for under $300?
Jason Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA
I haven't been impressed with the Leupold VXI series at all. As has been said, for the same price as one of those you can get a Bushnell (used to be Bausch & Lomb) Elite that will be a better scope. The scopes I've really been impressed with lately are the Sightrons. I've shot two guns with those on them and the scopes looked better than Leupold VX II's and were comparable to VX III's. Several of the benchrest guys have started using Sightrons instead of Leupolds or the Weaver T-series of scopes because Sightrons adjustment system is better. My next centerfire scope will be a Sightron.

#76001 - 02/08/03 02:45 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
lobo Offline
Fry

Loc: Buckley,WA
I've been impressed with the Bushnell Elite. It's affordable, waterproof, fogproof, and durable.

#76002 - 02/08/03 04:13 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
lobo
Aren't the optices from the Bushnell's made by Bausch and Lomb? I can't remember.

#76003 - 02/10/03 07:10 AM Re: best scope for under $300?
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
For less than $180 the bushnell elite 3200 3-9 is darn near impossibe to beat. I'm looking for a new scope too, and i decided on the leupold VX2 2-7 at about $260. The optics are as good or better on the 3200, but i really like eye relief, light weight, unbeatalbe warranty and the looks of the leupold. And of course, legendary ruggedness, although the elites have a very good reputation too. The best deal for the money is definatly the elite series of scopes, but im a loyal leupold fan, so ill pay a little more.

#76004 - 02/15/03 12:56 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Chromeslayer,
Thats a pretty hard slam on a guy thats looking for advice.If I was him I would take a remark like that pretty personal.
I think that if somebody is looking for advice a straight answer is the best.Who knows you might need a little yourself sometime.I dont think you would appreciate the same sort of reply.

I've bought rifles with scopes on them that I didnt like.Couldnt imagine why a person would put a cheap scope on an expensive,or just good rifle.Especially magnums.Just doesnt make sense to me.
Seems like a good reason to upgrade to me.How about you.

Or maybe he hunted open sights and wanted to try a scope.I have used scopes,some more expensive than others,that I just didnt feel confident in.Doesnt make me a gut shooter.

Just want a scope I can have confidence in.Having a scope you dont have confidence in,is not a bad thing.Keeping it is though.Nice to be able to come to a place like this to get advice so you dont make a mistake.And buy another one you dont have confidence in.

Example'I had a 3-9 Burris that I really liked,till my son and I were looking at a herd of elk one morning.I could barely make out shapes with it.But the 3-9 leopold I put on his rifle we could see the points on the antlers.Both good scopes.Both about the same price.Actually the Burris was about $50 more.But it showed me that I should have stuck with the Leopold like I did on the rest of my rifles.

Sorry I just dont see a problem with upgrading for any reason.

Another plus for the Leopold.If in the unlikely event you have a problem with it you only have to send it to Beaverton Ore.
What foriegn country,or half way or more across the U.S. would you have to send most of the other scopes to.

I bought a Ruger 77 7mm mag with a 3-9 Nikon on it from a friend.So far I like the Nikon.First one I have had any experience with.But seems very comparable to the Leopold.But I f for some reason I lose confidence in it I will buy anotherLeopold Vari xII to replace it with.

My 2 cents worth.

#76005 - 02/19/03 01:29 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
sturgio Offline
Parr

thanks for all of the advice and info. i had heard from my friends to go with the leopould but wanted to get some opinions from a different circle. i am going to start looking on ebay and if nothing comes up before season, ill go and buy one from a store. who is this chromslayer character anyways?

#76006 - 02/19/03 05:48 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
Natchez Shooters Supply has new 3200 Elite 3x9x40s Matte for $139.95. That is a very good price on a quality scope!

Check out 24hourcampfire.com and look up some of the things John Barness (muledeer) says about them.

#76007 - 02/24/03 01:52 PM Re: best scope for under $300?
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
For under $300 you cant go wrong with a Luepold or a Simmons, in my opinion simmons are great scopes and you can get a very nice one for around $225.

Good luck in your scope search !!!

T

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |