Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76654 - 06/20/03 05:17 AM Optics
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
I'm on a budget but looking to put a spotting scope and some binoculars on lay-away. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Binoculars I've always used are 10x50. Would 12x or 16x be any better? And I'm lost as far as spotting scopes go.

Any info or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Camo

#76655 - 06/20/03 09:10 AM Re: Optics
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
With binoculars go with an 8x42 or something close to that. Too much magnification is a bad thing with binos. If price is a major factor look into the Bushnell legend with rainguard. I bet you could find a pair close to $100 if you checked a few web sites. Go to your local sports shop and look through all their glass to get an idea of what you like and don't. I'll let someone else hit the spotting scope end of it.

#76656 - 06/21/03 10:32 AM Re: Optics
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hey GB~

Thanks for the info...

At the ripe old age of 31, the old peepers ain't what they used to be. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to put a rack on a head or count the points on the rack even.

TL/WN
Camo

#76657 - 06/25/03 08:19 PM Re: Optics
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
My plan is a good pair of pentax dcf wp's in 8x43 and the new leupold variable spotter in 10-20x40. I cant hold 10x's steady enough, and more magnification is out of the question for me, so ill use the spotting scope for that. Check out the leupold spotter, its a real steal for the money, and its super compact. Be good at the range too...

#76658 - 06/27/03 11:50 AM Re: Optics
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
I personally carry 10x50 wide angle Burris Binos's, for the open country. Get as much spotting scope as you can. GI Joes has Winchester Spotting Scopes for a reasonable price. They are not the quality of Leopolds but they will put horns on a buck at long distance. Another place is to look at e-bay for spotting scopes I was just looking there.

#76659 - 06/27/03 12:23 PM Re: Optics
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
Best value for the dollar is Nikon IMO. I have used nikon scopes (including spotting scope) and bino's for years and I think the scopes are as good as Leupold. For bino's it depends on how you want to use them. If you are going to glass large open areas then get some 7x50 or 8x42. If you want to hunt closer range then go smaller as these can be bulky.

One thing that I think is important with binos that many overlook is the insta focus feature. Look for a pair that have this feature. If you shop around online you can get a good quality pair such as Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Steiner, Swarvoski, etc at a good price. Don't skimp on optics. I have a nice elk rack becuase the person I was with skimped on optics and when it was low light he could not see very well through his scope and I was able to see fine and took the shot. As far as Bushnell goes, these things are garbage, you would better off to hunt with your naked eye and save your money until you have enough to step up to the next level. The old addage 'You get what you pay for" is absolutely true with optics. Don't ever go cheap with optics it is an absolute waste of money.

#76660 - 06/27/03 04:43 PM Re: Optics
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I picked up an awsome spotter on E-Bay a few weeks ago. I got the Loupold 12-40x60. it is as good if not better than many of the really expensive ones. I am really happy with the amount of light it gathers before light and after dark. to me that is when you need the spotter to really work. I got mine with the tri-pod and window mount for $555.00. new they sell for 2x that. keap on eye on e-bay for them and you can get a great deal. the nice thing about mine is it is light and great for the day pack.

dc laugh

#76661 - 07/03/03 03:35 AM Re: Optics
Locklan Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Alaska
The top end Nikon's are supposed to be very good, the poroprism's are cheaper and offer top quality sharpness. Ideal power should be determined by the distance you usually glass from. I like 10 powers for what I do but if you're glassing a shorter distance, 8's are better.

#76662 - 07/03/03 05:28 PM Re: Optics
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
First the type and power of bino's and scope you use is very dependent on the type of hunting you do…

I kinda think like a reporter when it comes to these kind of choices… What, Where, When…

I really don't want to know for me personally… but is will help you get the a good answer…

What weapon are you hunting with? (close - bow or far – rifle/muzzle)
What type of hunter are you (Spot and Stock, Stand/Tree stand, Road Hunter, Still Hunter)?
What type of animals are you going after?

Where are you going to hunt? (East or West)
Is where you hunting brushy, reprod, old growth, prairie?

When do you spend must of your time hunting? (morning/evening – low light or all day low to bright light)
Will be hunting in the rain? (coating?)

I know this is a lot of blah, blah but it helps answer the qestion…

I bet you can guess bow hunt… I mostly Spot and Stock or Still Hunt… I hunt Deer and Elk… I hunt mostly West and brushy/reprod… Morning and Evening… and rain or shine…

So I carry 8x25 compact waterproof bushnell's (fairly cheap so if I lose them the wife doesn't kill me I am on the third pair) are great for fairly close up and if it is to dark with the bino's then it is getting really close to to dark for me to take a shot…

For the spot and stock I have some 10x50's the are waterproof… these work great but are to bulky to stock with so they normally get left with the daypack when the stock starts…

Now a few years back when the “the Wall” fell I picked up a really nice quality spotting scope for about $100 American from the Russian Empire… it is a 16-24x60… it works great… and has taken a few wind nock downs on the tripod….

So it is really what you need and can spend… remember though…the higher the zoom the more stability you will need, stable hands, laying on a rock or log, or a tripod… and the bigger the millimeter of the front lens the more light enters the binoc's for better low light visibility….

My $0.02 worth…

Shoot Straight…
beer

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#76663 - 07/04/03 07:33 AM Re: Optics
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Just wanted to say "Thanks" again for all the great info.

TL/WN
Camo

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |