Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78267 - 07/12/05 06:11 PM Archery
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey guys, I found a connection for archery elk this year so it looks like it may actually be affordable for me this year!

However... My arrows are all just about shot out, any tips on which arrows/broadheads I should look for? What should I base the length on?

Thanks!

Curtis

#78268 - 07/12/05 10:41 PM Re: Archery
BMF Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympic Peninsula
The length of your arrow depends on your draw length. Go to an archery shop and have them measure your draw length when at full draw with your bow, and then they can set you up with the arrow of proper length, diameter, grain weight, and stiffness according to your draw weight (how many pounds you are pulling) and what you'll be hunting. For elk, probably a 60-70 pound draw with pretty heavy arrows. I shoot a 600 grain arrow at 70 pounds. Arrow goes at about 247 feet per second with a 125 grain broadhead and 4 inch fletching. Plenty of zip and lots of weight to punch through an elk. Good luck and let us know how you do smile BMF

#78269 - 07/13/05 08:37 AM Re: Archery
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

Good Advice.

#78270 - 07/23/05 09:38 PM Re: Archery
Spawner

Hey thanks BMF!

Where's a good archery shop around Enumclaw? Is the one in the Puyallup area any good? I've seen it off the road once...

Curtis

#78271 - 08/07/05 04:52 AM Re: Archery
RIVER RUNNER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: puyallup
go to great northwest fishing and archery and talk to doug he is the owner of the place. he is a very well educated archery hunter. and really knows his stuff. you cant go wrong. if i was you i would use carbon arrows.just my personal opinion.the store is located on shaw road.

#78272 - 08/12/05 11:34 PM Re: Archery
Spawner

thanks dude!

#78273 - 08/13/05 02:59 AM Re: Archery
RIVER RUNNER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey not a problem voodoo good luck elk hunting this year with archery. hope you stick a big one. have you ever killed an elk before. if not make sure you have somebody with you because it takes atleast two people to gut one out. make sure you have several good knifes and a sharpening stone with you. if you are hunting by yourself take some rope with you so you can tie the legs apart. so when you are gutting it you dont have to mess with holding the legs apart. last year i bugled five bulls in to bow range god i love this sport. anyways good luck and let us know how you do.

#78274 - 08/14/05 09:22 PM Re: Archery
Spawner

holy cow... err bull... Yes I will definitely be taking a crew... I told one guy who is hurting money lately that I will gladly give half of my elk to him and his wife if he accompanied me on the hunt (he knows its not a guaruntee but it'll still be fun to get out there so hes pumped).

Any tips on bugles? Or should I even worry about it? I'm hunting in the Issaquah unit in a little area I found that I guess elk love... haven't been able to scout it quite yet.

Curtis

#78275 - 08/15/05 01:32 AM Re: Archery
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
I would practice more with the cow call. Learn to use a diaphram. It will be the deal sealer for you if a bull is walking. I really like the hoochie mama for an extra call to have on hand. A cow estrus call can be very effective as well.

The best piece of advise I can give you is that an elk will pinpoint where you are while you're calling long before you will see him or her. So when they are out around the edge of there visability distance and they don't see another elk they'll hang up more often than not. This is where a decoy works wonders. If you don't have a decoy, use your new found hunting buddy as your caller positioned back 75-100yds. Make sure to tell him not to move until you come and get him.

Good luck out there Curtis. Hope to see some pics.

Kris

#78276 - 08/15/05 09:23 AM Re: Archery
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Another thing. Don't bother the elk until you're ready to hunt them. They'll remember what you sound like, and come hunting season avoid that wannabe cow like the plague.

Kris

#78277 - 08/15/05 01:16 PM Re: Archery
RIVER RUNNER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey voodoo like glowball say's have your buddy behind calling. and if you have access to another person you is good at calling have both of them calling behind you. it will make the bull think there are more than one cow. my hunting partners and i have found this to work very very well for us. The main thing is dont over use your calls. and be very very quiet and still because we have had bulls come in to us without even making a sound. and before you know it there's a bull in front of you. like glowball said the diaphram call is the best.

#78278 - 08/15/05 01:18 PM Re: Archery
RIVER RUNNER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey glowball that's a sweet elk you got there. very very nice. where did you harvest him at. GOTTA LOVE THE FUTURE HUNTER IN THE PIC VERY VERY CUTE.

#78280 - 08/19/05 02:48 AM Re: Archery
Spawner

hey Stam I take it by your location that we are from the same town??? wink

Thanks for the tips guys, I can definitely see myself making those mistakes without the warning! I'm going to go look at calls tomorrow.

Curtis

#78282 - 08/20/05 09:30 PM Re: Archery
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
So Stam,
Was that guy really related to ya?

#78283 - 08/27/05 12:39 AM Re: Archery
hunterfisher77 Offline
Parr

Loc: everett
hey voodoo,
great advice from BMF, I changed over to archery hunting about 7 years ago and I love it . Go to the archery shop and let the guy's help ya, most any of them are great . I got a hoyt rapter, at about 70 lbs,with a 28" draw lengh, and shoot gold tip carbon arrows with 100 grain cabela's lazer pro broadheads.
I,ve got 2 elk so far and they seem to do the job just fine. If you spear one , just be patient and mark where you shot from and where the elk was when you hit it. Very important that blood trail, sometimes they don't leave much of one. good luck

#78284 - 09/08/05 07:38 PM Re: Archery
m_ray Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: East Kent
Hey Bucket sure he's related arent they all out there in enumclaw?

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |