Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78465 - 10/22/05 12:17 AM Favorite Venison recipes
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: MLT
Anyone like to share the knowledge. Im going to be cooking up some back straps shortly. Rolled in egg yolk, flour w/ touch of johnny's and fried in bacon drippings. OHlala thumbs

#78466 - 10/23/05 01:06 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Why change something when its dern near perfect.That is the only way I will cook my venison.Other than I just roll it in flour.I havent used the egg dip.
I cook mine hot and fast.Flip it once and eat it while its still hot enough to burn the hell out of your mouth.

I think I know whats for dinner tonight.Talk about a motivator.My mouths waterin already.

#78467 - 10/23/05 01:32 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Not just back straps, but any sauce's to go with the flanks. I have next to nothing for venison recipes. umbrella

#78468 - 10/23/05 07:01 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
We have a few that we like....

We like to slow cook them with cream of mushroom,,,I know it sounds old school but man if you do it right it can be some good food on a cold day...
anyother way is if you have deer sausage...you get that and sautay red, yellow and green peppers along with an onion and some garlic...add some good beer and your sausage and you have some good grub for a hoggie roll.

Another good one is just some good olive oil, garlic and fresh pepper. grill it on a hot flame and you are set up with some goooood vitals, add corn on the cob and some red tatters and mmmm...

#78469 - 10/25/05 09:35 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Fish Stalker - tried the slow cooked cream of mushroom recipe a couple weeks ago with a venison roast left over from last year. Threw in a sweet onion, some salt and pepper, and worcestershire (sp?). WOW. Now officially my favorite recipe if you've got the time (6-7 hours).

Other than that, I like to slice the steaks really thin (about 1/3") and grill hot and fast, usually with some salt and pepper or montreal seasoning. I just did this year's tenderloin in the fry pan, sliced thin, on HOT with flour and a little montreal - turned out great, although it's hard to screw up tenderloin unless you overcook it.

FYI, I found the cream of mushroom recipe at www.allrecipes.com. They have quite a few venison recipes, and they're rated so you have some idea from the good and the bad.

Now I'm ready to go home and eat. Cheers.

#78470 - 10/26/05 11:47 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
thesled Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the link and tips guys. I really think this board is top notch. Thanks again thumbs

#78471 - 10/27/05 01:32 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
krijak Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma
Have to agree. Roll the steaks in flour with a little salt. Fry quickly. Other than that I love deer tacos and burgers.

#78472 - 10/28/05 01:22 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
I'm usually really boring and just use a little garlic salt and throw em on the grill at 475 and cook em quick. I've been lucky to get a deer each of the last 12 years and an elk each of the last three. I do my roasts in the oven at 500 until the internal temp is 135 and then let em rest for about 5 minutes.
When I do cook up something more complicated I'll look to Ted's book Kill it and Grill it or one of the other half dozen wild cookin books I've got.
Before I left on my elk trip a couple of weeks ago I did some backstrap I found it the freezer (I know how do you lose strap??????) with sauted Chanterelles and it was really good. I did the strap in butter in a fry pan......if somebody wants to accept an email and attach to this I've pics from cooking that dinner :-)
Dave

#78473 - 10/29/05 07:17 PM Re: Favorite Venison recipes
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
My other favorite cook book is Eat Like a Wildman.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |