Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79267 - 10/02/06 01:44 AM bird hunting
sharkbait75 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: everett
Ive never been bird hunting but i want to go bad what kind of shotgun should i get and wheres a good place to go I live in marysville?
Thanks

#79268 - 10/02/06 12:38 PM Re: bird hunting
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
To start just get a 12 ga. pump (rem,winchester). You can grouse hunt off any of the logging roads out of the Darrington area. If you like it you could use the same gun for duck hunting. Find someone who is already into the sport to show you the ropes.

#79269 - 10/02/06 07:15 PM Re: bird hunting
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
The best place to go for game birds is in the Okanogan. Grouse, quail, chukars and Hungarian partridge in addition to waterfowl are all available there.
In Western Wa., what seastrike said or you could go to one of the bird planting areas, if that's still being done.

#79270 - 10/02/06 09:30 PM Re: bird hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I would start with the 12ga too. Any pump gun is the best bet. Simple to use. Shells are easy to find and small game loads are cheap. Nontoxic shot is required for waterfowl and in some areas up north for all game. Check the regs. Both small game and waterfowl regs. As for brands, all the common makers, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mosssberg, have good guns cheap. I have two Mossbergs and would not be without them. One is a Model 500, the other is a Model 535. The 535 is a 3 and half inch model. Many police agencies use the winchesters and mossbergs for their cops. You can also start out with single shot guns. Walmart, Big 5 and most gun stores carry these. Prices for singles range 50-200 bucks. Pumps start at 200 and go up from there. Sometimes you can find a few cheaper. Walmart can special order a Mavrick, which is a mossberg copy for about 160 I think. Loads for birds depend on the brid. A size six will cover most everything from rabbits to pheasants. Nontoxic loads in 2-6 will cover small ducks. Use larger non toxic for geese. You can even use the sugs and buckshot for deer. A 12ga 1 ounce slug puts a huge hole in a deer and knocks them down real fast. As for areas, I don't know many area up north. Down south the river valleys are good bets for duck etc. Fort Lewis is good for ducks and small game. There are also some pheasant release sites on the Ft.

#79271 - 10/02/06 11:10 PM Re: bird hunting
FishnCoug Offline
Fry

Loc: Pullman/Sultan
Buy a Remington 870 they start at about 230 bucks. You cant go wrong. There are several release sites between Monroe and Carnation. They are good bets for planted pheasants as well as ducks

#79272 - 10/03/06 12:15 AM Re: bird hunting
sharkbait75 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: everett
thanks for all the good advice

#79273 - 10/03/06 04:05 PM Re: bird hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Forgot one thing. Makes sure you get a shotgun that has changeable chokes tubes or a Polychoke. The mossbergs have tubes that you unscrew from the barrel and change. Most shotguns I think now adays have these. A Polychoke is really cool because you just twist the end and change the choke. Oh, if you don't know choke is the amount of space left in the end of the barrel to compress the shot as it comes out. Like a firehose, it allows the shot to spread out or compress tight together for longer ranges. Open choke is a very wide close range pattern. Full or the beyond full chokes are for long shots.

#79274 - 10/03/06 04:15 PM Re: bird hunting
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
I grew up in Marysville. We launched at my Great-Grandpa's old log dump by the sewer lagoon (Lake Marysville) to duck hunt across Ebey Slough in the flats. I don't know if it's even open for hunting any more. I think there's a park at the old log dump now.
Of course, everything is changed there now.-We used to hunt deer on the powerlines on Whiskey Ridge-now it's all houses.

#79275 - 10/03/06 08:58 PM Re: bird hunting
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Wow the hunting board comes alive! Right on.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
12gauge, Doug Kelly, tredfish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 606 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645466 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |