LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#379369 - 10/07/07 12:03 AM Hunter's first case of buck fever.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hunter skipped opening morning of ML deer today, so I headed out and ended up bumping into 3 deer, all does, before I had to go to Ryan's soccer game. Ryan's team lost by about 15 goals, maybe 20, but it was still a good time. ;\)

Hunter decided help me load some ammo this afternoon, and he decided that he wanted to head out with me for the evening hunt.

Most of our hunting is done within 5 miles of our house, so we regularly hunt the first two hours and last two hours of the day, so we left the house at 5pm. By 5:30 we saw out first deer, and ended up jumping three more, one of which was a spike, as we made a few short easy hunts. We headed out of the woods, and we ran into a suicidal 2 point with eye guards. It was a 20 yard broadside shot, and after the smoke cleared we saw him bound out into a field, and leisurely walk for a few hundred yards into some trees. Also looked for blood along his trail but it was a clean miss.

I tell you it took every ounce of patience to not drop that deer, but I had to let him try. He was pumped up about seeing all of those deer, we talked about what he needs to do different next time, and he wants to go tomorrow. I hope I have the patience tomorrow to let him fail and I'll be proud as can be if I can help him connect.

He did great with firearms safety, always keeping his finger indexed, and using the proper carry for the situation.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#379429 - 10/07/07 02:57 PM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: Dogfish]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
Well Dogfish - you just described my first shot at a deer. Almost the same scenerio, just a different location. My Dad and I were hunting a brushy draw north of Arlington and it was morning with some drifting fog. We saw a deer but the fog drifted in and Dad thought it was a doe so we stood still. As the fog drfited away we could see horns and I had a clean shot at about the same distance. Two shots later, we saw the deer waving at us with his tail and his pink raisin. No blood. I had the shakes so bad I was almost hyperventilating.
Dad was supportive just like you are and I didn't miss next time. That happened about 1958 and your story brought it all back. Thanks for reviving the memory. My Dad died last December 4th and I've been thinking a lot about him lately. Your son won't forget the experience either.

#379558 - 10/08/07 02:12 PM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: Chuck E]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
That's awesome Andy! That memory will be irreplaceable, and will go a long way into making Hunter a better, Hunter.

Oh yeah, I had my last soccer game for the year on Saturday too (I coach Ella's team). The mighty Pufferfish lost by about 15 goals too, in the rain.

#379595 - 10/08/07 06:07 PM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: Rocket Red]
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Sounds like your hunting season is already off to a great start! I know you are taking this whole week off and hope you have a blast and get Hunter into an animal. Even if you don't it will be a great week. Very cool experience with your son.
I look fwd to an update on your hunting and fishing week when I get back from ID.

#379943 - 10/10/07 12:13 AM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: seastrike]
fish-hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Maple Valley
Sounds like fun Andy. If you remember Brandon had a clean miss when we went with you that first year but it did get him hooked...although he did not even go out for early season archery. He is of the age where he is preferring to hunt other female mammals all of a sudden! Good luck to you and Hunter

Dave

#379954 - 10/10/07 01:21 AM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: fish-hunter]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
The boys have Friday off, so we're heading out to finish out the early season.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#380064 - 10/10/07 01:24 PM Re: Hunter's first case of buck fever. [Re: Dogfish]
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Hunter will do OK.

Funny, how I missed my first deer as well.

Didn't really start hunting until I was about 11 or 12. The only person who hunted in my family was my Grandfather. He's the guy I inherited my love of the outdoors from! I miss him dearly.

Anyways, his weapon of choice was a Model 700 in 7mm-Mag with a 4X scope on it. Still have the rifle today. Even though I had taken the Hunters Safety Course, and had been upland bird hunting, I had never fired a high-powered rifle before. To make it worse, my Grandpa kept telling me stories of how one would get blown over backwards, or would break their back if they shot a rifle while leaning on a tree, etc.

Needless to say, as a kid, I was afraid of this rifle.

Away we go hunting in the bowels of Eastern Oregon, up near the Willowa area. Mostly road hunting. We are driving along some logging road and low and behold, a *nice* perfect 3-point muley walks out and stands broadside to us in the middle of the road. Probably no more than 25 yards away. Just stands there and stares at us.

Grandpa stops the truck and quickly tells me to grab the rifle and to take a shot at it. I grabbed the rifle, got out, and quickly set up against the side of the truck (as leverage to steady the gun), took aim and......

...look over to see my grandpa starting to *sharpen* his knife, ready the butcher kit, get the saws out, etc, etc. Hell, my grandpa was probably half-done butchering that animal in his mind by the time I looked over.

....look back in the scope...take aim....put the cross hairs on the heart and .....

Now mind you, I'd never been hunting before. Didn't really know much about animals of that nature, etc. My only "training" up to that point had been to study photos of animals in my Grandpa's hunting magazines. He'd draw a circle on the photos of the dear as to where the kill shots would be. I studied and studied and studied those photos.

...and just as I'm about to shoot, I recall the horror stories of shooting such a POWERFUL RIFLE! This damn rifle was gonna seriously hurt me!!!!

So, I close my eyes and pull the trigger.

<BLAMMO!>

First reaction was "Hey, that didn't kick! That wasn't bad at all!"

Next reaction was "Hey, did I shoot the deer????"

I looked up from the scope only to see the deer shake it's head like some pesky fly had just zipped past it at Mach 49. The deer than looked at me, I looked at the deer, my Grandpa looked at the deer, than looked at me, followed by the deer just slowly walking fully across the road and off and in to the woods.

Never did find any blood, fur, carnage, etc. No idea where I missed that deer, as my eyes were fully closed for the shot!

Love that story!

\:D

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1198 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |