Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456180 - 09/28/08 03:44 PM Great deer hunt
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Went over to the Goldendale area to chase some deer. Hunted a small piece of private ground. Saw an amazing number of deer, almost all antlerless (only three spikes). Many were almost close enough to shoot at. It was pretty easy to get within 50-60 yards before they would sort of amble off. Spent a couple hours playing cat and mouse with a couple different deer.

Need to figure out how to intercept the deer rather than still-hunting as the country was pretty open. As in, the grass was about half an inch high. aaaaaplan to go back next year.

#456205 - 09/28/08 07:39 PM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: Carcassman]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
set up a blind and just be patient. If you can figure out the spots they like to come and go from you will have it made. I assume you are hunting white tail? maybe try planting something that they will want to feed on and then put the blind up in that spot. Like they do on TV.

Kris

#456259 - 09/28/08 11:49 PM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: dcrzfitter]
River Nutrients

I tried sitting, but I think a blind/treestand might work, too.

They were muke deer. They were coming out to feed in hayfields. Some really nice trails. It was pretty open, though, so even a ground blind would be pretty obvious, unless i put it in early.

Thanks for the ideas.

#456321 - 09/29/08 11:31 AM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: Carcassman]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
its tough country to hunt for sure. i like to hunt the eyebrows of the wheatfields. if possible, get above them and hunt down.

#456512 - 09/29/08 09:28 PM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: D3Smartie]
River Nutrients

The place I hunted was hay pastures, mown flat, and oak woodland. There was a beautiful road at the top of the woods, with nice deer trails all through. And, plenty of beds. They were in the open, so it would have been easy to see any deer.

Firts time there, and I printed up an aerial photo so I will begin to mark out where I saw animals and where they were going. Shouldn't be difficult to intercept them if I can figure a way to be unseen.

#456538 - 09/29/08 11:15 PM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: Carcassman]
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
If you have spots to put in a stand then give it a try. You will be very surprised how the deer will not even have a clue you are around. Keap in mind wind direction is still something to consider.

We have been useing stands more and more in Idaho and I think I'm going to give them a try for Black tail now. I have a spot picked out and will be putting in my trail camera this week to spy on the locals and see if one is worth trying for in a few weeks.

the idea with the aerial photo is good and will help you determine their paterns over time. I might even use that idea in the future.

Glad to see some one doing their home work not just expecting someone els to tell you or give you GPS numbers. Makes it even more special when you do finally get an animal knowing you did it on your own.

oh, one other note. if you use a stand be sure and do some target practice out of it. it we be allot different and you don't want any surprises. same goes with a ground blind.

Kris

#456569 - 09/30/08 12:49 AM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: dcrzfitter]
River Nutrients

Big problem is that the place is quite a ways away (4.5 hours) and is somebody else's land. That said, I have a couple ground-blind ideas. One would be inside a stand of reprod pine that is about 10' high.

Ever tried calling? I tried it a couple times. On the plius side, they didn't run away. One the minus, of course, is that they didn't come.

But, it was exciting. Saw more deer in an evening than I normally see in a couple of seasons. And, got to try and hunt them. Most of my hunting in the past has been pretty random. If I am lucky, a real moron shows up. I liked this and will keep trying.

#456603 - 09/30/08 10:02 AM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: Carcassman]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Got hay bales?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#456607 - 09/30/08 10:52 AM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: Dogfish]
GreenRiver Offline
Spawner

After 2 days of frustration, I walked in and got behind them in the dark and then waited for daylight. Those deer thought they had everyone beat until that morning.

Most people suck at internet........

#469763 - 11/23/08 04:25 PM Re: Great deer hunt [Re: GreenRiver]
River Nutrients

I went back for three days this weekend. If possible, hunting got better but more frustrating. The area is 3 pt min or antlerless; I had permission to take only antlerless. So, what deer came closest? I called a little 3x2 to within 10 yds, broadside. Twice. had a big (antlers as wide as ears) 3x3 within about 15 yds, broadside. Had a 4x4 about 20. These deer are considered by WDFW to be mulies. They looked al lot like blacktail/mule crosses. If they were "pure" blacktail the two big bucks would have made at least P&Y.

Antlerless? Generally 60+ and walking away. They didn't respond one way or the other to calls.

I was on a different piece of property; actually seemed to have more deer. Lots of woods with small pastures. The deer seemed to generally be everywhere except close. Seemed that "spot and stalk" or just still hunting around would be the best way to go.

Maybe next year.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |