THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#532217 - 08/27/09 04:09 PM Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas?
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Deer season is coming up quick! I am a rubber boot guy. I have some nice leather boots (Cabelas Denalis or something) for tramping, but 95% of the time I grab my XtraTUFs and head out the door. As a matter of fact I figure in the fall I spend 90% of my outside time in XtraTUFs (fishing, outdoor work, coaching soccer, hunting, etc).

I am considering getting a boot with a more aggressive tread. The Xtras are great in the boat, and they are pretty quiet in the woods. They just don't have the best grip (not that I have fallen down because of them or anything).

Please give me some opinions on your favorite pull-on boots for deer hunting.

My average hunting is usually riding a bike, still hunting to a spot, glassing for a while, then repeating that process until it is time to go home. Terrain is typical WWA timberland hunting, brushy clearcuts, gravel roads, and the country varies greatly in topography from piss on a plate, to crawling over roots. It is rarely cold enough to wear insulated XTRas, I don't think I ever have.

#532225 - 08/27/09 04:45 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Rocket Red]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
If you are looking for a rubber boot.......I have never found one better than my Xtratufs. I know you are looking for something else but as a great all around rubber boot.........I am not sure they can be out done.

I will be interested to see what everyone comes up with though.

#532229 - 08/27/09 04:53 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: docspud]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
I've been using Mucks on the boat and love them. I haven't hunted them yet but will soon. I got the Mucks because I wanted more traction and one all purpose boot.

Good luck.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#532231 - 08/27/09 05:04 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: RowVsWade]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
I'm going boot shoping myself this weekend. Need two pairs. I'm into insulation, traction, and water proofing. I'll take a look at any rubber boots and see if they meet my traction specs and let ya know.

In the past I had a pair of Rockies that were half rubber. Good for hunting but I took them to work when I was running heavy equipment and they did not pass the abbrasion test. Poked a few holes in the rubber with a shovel and climbing up on the dozer. the rest of the time I had them they had a wrap of duct tape around them. Still kept my feet warm but the duct tape was crap for traction.

j7 2012

#532244 - 08/27/09 06:18 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: j 7]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
Xtra tuf's are kind a like a sore dick you can't beat em!

#532277 - 08/27/09 09:08 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: fishmaster]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

Loc: Paradise,AK.
Muck's are warmer than 'tuf's,though slicker than cat [censored]. For setting idle,muck's could rate consideration,but are junk for activities.

LaCrosse can't hang,nor Cabela's.

Carbide corked Xtratuff's are without rival,regarding slip-on fit/function,especially navigating a heavy pack with fresh meat. Regular soled tuf's and the corked version are very much mainstays in my part of the World,though I tend to default to corked Meindl's,despite having enough boots to make Imelda Marcos blush.

Merrell makes some stuff I like for utility.

(Please disregard my Post count,should you find it unsettling.)

#532330 - 08/27/09 11:29 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Big Stick]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
There are a few different soles on the Mucks, I have the style that is slicker than cat [censored]. As a matter of fact after one fall in the woods I have never worn them in the field again.

I swear by Xtra tuffs.

However the boots below get good reviews, concidering a pair for the fall

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Woody_Marsh_Hip_Waders_p/wmhmosg.htm

And of course there are the style of Muck boots that Simms uses in there boot foot wader

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/exstream_bootoots_08_lug.html#

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#532333 - 08/27/09 11:37 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Jason Y]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

i have ran into quite a few people while hunting on the west side who love thier muck boots. though the are not the greatest for walking on wet logs. with that aside i have gotten nothing but great reviews from people.

#532368 - 08/28/09 02:03 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: bankbum]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I love my Xtra-tuffs. Three years and they are just about worn out, but I wore them 4-5 days a week over he past two years. Went through two sets of felt insoles. They fit well around the ankle, and while they don't breath well, they are much better than any cheap boot I have worn.

My feet were never tired after 12+ hours of clearing brush, over many months.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#532383 - 08/28/09 08:51 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Dogfish]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Do this to your tuffs. Found this on a surf fishing forum.

heres the link to the forum.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=406265

j7 2012

#532406 - 08/28/09 11:25 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: j 7]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I don't think I'll be able to sneak down too many roads with that setup.

I am guessing I will stick with my Xtra tuffs. I was doing a caribou hunt out of Iliamna (actually I did 2 of them) and I wore the Xtras for more than 10 and 14 days respectively (plus the plane rides to and from, with the tops turned down for style points). Each day I required hiking no less than 6 miles, sometimes a lot more, and sometimes with meat and horn-laden pack boards. They worked perfectly for both trips.

If it ain't broke . ..

#532456 - 08/28/09 02:19 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Rocket Red]
Hairy Ape Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester, Washington
I've had a pair of Lacrosse boots with the air bob soles and 800 grams of Thinsulate for going on 10 years. I love 'em. But they don't seem to make them anymore. They have several similar boots available but the only one I see with the air bobs is uninsulated. Which would be fine much for much of what I use mine for. I wear mine in the woods almost every day in the winter and have walked hundreds of miles in them with no problems. Even in cold and snow my feet have never been cold. I have never tried the Xtra Tuffs but have seen many good reviews, and I will definitely look at them when I am ready for a new pair. This Lacrosse boot is similar to what I have:

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/hunting+boots/rubber+boots/burly+air-grip+hunting+boots.do

#532596 - 08/28/09 08:40 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Rocket Red]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

"Sneaking" down gravel roads,isn't much test of a shoe and if that's your primary ploy,then the standard soled Xtra's are your huckleberry.

If/when you are of the mindset to get off the road,then superior footwear does come into play. Pounding flatland tundra isn't very demanding on footwear either,if only for more of the obvious reasons.

Such footwear will cost much in the way of available opportunity.

#532597 - 08/28/09 08:41 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Hairy Ape]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

10yr old rubber boots is nothing more than a Testimony of inactivity.

Not much of a Sales Pitch.

#532598 - 08/28/09 08:43 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: j 7]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

For utility,carbide is where it's at and ceramic isn't horrid.

#532688 - 08/29/09 12:56 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Big Stick]
Hairy Ape Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Big Stick
10yr old rubber boots is nothing more than a Testimony of inactivity.

Whatever. Like I said, I wear them every day during the winter for work. Actually through most of the spring as well. Not trying to sell them to anybody so if you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. I like them enough that I will be buying another pair.

#532709 - 08/29/09 04:51 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Hairy Ape]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

My favorite Utility shoe,except when in one of the boats.

Redwoods aren't as versatile as the aforementioned carbides,though in their niche they've no peer.

Traction doesn't take long to get used to.(hint)

#532780 - 08/29/09 08:41 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Big Stick]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

Because clean meat interests me,I've been known to throw dead Beasts on my back and run with same,which will immediately have one very appreciative of stellar footwear.

Such things will keep a guy out of the Emergency Room too.

#532820 - 08/29/09 11:56 PM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Big Stick]
Hairy Ape Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well, I actually may look into buying a pair of the Xtra-Tuffs, especially since I see that they're made in the USA. That's a big deal to me. The Lacrosse boots are made in China, I believe. I don't think my 10 year old Lacrosse's were, but the new ones I've seen in the stores say "made in China." lame

#532862 - 08/30/09 10:32 AM Re: Muck, XtraTUF, LaCrosse, or Cabelas? [Re: Hairy Ape]
Big Stick Offline
"Sasquatch on Land"

Slickshod 'tuffs are flexible in their role,but the 4WD version is beyond compare for schlepping cross country,if mandated to a pull on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |