THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#638368 - 11/28/10 12:18 AM Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
So does WEYCO open the Vail tree farm during the late ML season? Never tried that during the late season, but there are good numbers of deer there. Anybody?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#638883 - 11/29/10 11:16 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Its open on the weekends. They leave it closed all week and close it at just after dark saturday night and reopen it before daylight on sunday. Walk ins on weekdays are the best bet IMO, there is a aluminum hatch every saturday morning like you wouldn't believe.

#640743 - 12/05/10 07:53 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Lot's of deer but lot's of people! wink

Just say'n

#640758 - 12/05/10 08:46 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Eric]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I'm staying close to home. Saving one spot for the 7th when every day is "doe day".

#640832 - 12/05/10 11:48 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Me too.

Hoping for some good $hitty, rainy, blustery weather to get the animals moving.

#642078 - 12/08/10 09:26 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Eric]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I tried the 6-5-1 this afternoon, needed a little heavier weather. I hunted the timber and I couldn't get quiet enough in the salal. If I had some weather I think I could have got a mature animal. I just kept getting busted.

I had a broadside doe (small) at 70 yards but let her off. Then just as I lowered my gun a mature buck came running from right behind me and bounded off before I got a shot. He just let me walk by him. I saw 5 deer this afternoon, hopes are high for this weekend.

#642280 - 12/09/10 10:08 AM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Psyched. On vacation beginning Friday afternoon. I've put in my miles on the bike, so I'm dropping the first thing with hair that is bigger than my dog.

#643416 - 12/11/10 10:30 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Psyched. On vacation beginning Friday afternoon. I've put in my miles on the bike, so I'm dropping the first thing with hair that is bigger than my dog.

Cut em' down......

Keith thumbs

#643420 - 12/11/10 10:35 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: stlhdr1]
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
Anybody hunting in the rain tomorrow? Thinking of driving some roads in Satsop as they should be runnin all over the place with this weather. Have been hiking alot lately, but seen nill, mostly in Mason though.

Any thoughts? Any one want company? PM Me

#643472 - 12/12/10 01:46 AM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Never Enough Nookie]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I'm headed out again in the rain tomorrow. I was out this morning and saw one really big bodied deer, but it was running and I couldn't get my gun up quick enough. I had walked a circle around it, and as I was walking back to my rig on the road, it ran out from left to right.

I have been hunting more drive-in type areas and the deer are much more pressured than in the bike or walk in spots. I have about a 3 square mile area I have been focusing on. It holds lots of animals, but they are hard to find in the open and when you do they are generally getting into the thick stuff. I've been sticking with it though just because I have seen so many deer in the area, I figure that my chance will be here eventually.

It is warm and windy out there right now, I plan on sitting on a knob at first light and then moving into the timber after about 8:30. One thing I have noticed is that you always should circle back on yourself if you push through timber or thick stuff. Especially if it is a patch with open areas on each side, they won't leave the timber unless they have to. They know about all the rigs full of hunters waiting for them.

Good luck out there.

#643485 - 12/12/10 09:51 AM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Bumped 2 yesterday, including one from a spot I've bumped this one deer from for the past few years. 15 feet away and I had no shot. Good thing I can come home and change clothes. 16 miles on the bike yesterday. Supposed to get drier later on today.

Tried the drive in spots and saw lots of rigs. Nobody is riding their bikes, or at least very few of us are doing that every day, in 651, except for me.

Good luck!

#643735 - 12/12/10 08:19 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa
Deer were all over today. My last day to hunt so shot a nice doe.

#643791 - 12/12/10 09:41 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: chromefish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Nicely done! Saw 6 deer in one area, none closer that 88 yards in deep brush. I have this week off, so I'll connect.

#643845 - 12/12/10 11:38 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

We saw 11 today, I had my safety off, and was about to shoot at a doe, but my hunting partner was in that general direction and I second guessed and she ran off.

Partner came across an opening in the thick stuff holding 5 deer, he had drawn on a big doe feeding at 40 yards when a nice buck stepped out to his right. He never got a shot other than a butt-hole shot and never pulled the trigger.

They were jumpy in the unit we were in. Lots of action though, so I am not complaining. As long as none of my client's bridges have washed out, I will have a chance to go the next few days.

#643902 - 12/13/10 08:45 AM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Rocket Red]
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Deer were very jumpy for us too. It took seeing quite a few before I got one to stand still long enough. Out of all the deer we saw didnt see one buck though.

#644841 - 12/15/10 10:41 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: chromefish]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
Hunted the 651 the other day also. Saw 20 different deer in a somewhat small area, 2 good bucks. May have seen more but thought some were the same deer. Shot at a doe at 60 yds and cleanly missed somehow. The ML fired really weak with half the normal kick and noise. I think the 4 inches of rain that day might have taken its toll. Deer were skidish there too, only the one doe stood still to shoot at. Tag soup for me this year.

#644933 - 12/16/10 09:59 AM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: stlhdr42]
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Ya we were in the 651 too. Tried to hold out for a buck just didnt want tag soup all winter.

#644968 - 12/16/10 01:20 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: chromefish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

I had my work schedule for this week get suddenly accelerated and could not get out during the week.

I ate my tag sashimi style, dipped in failure sauce.

#645080 - 12/16/10 08:51 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Rocket Red]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Ate my second tag in a row, after going 19 years straight with deer. Saw 4 deer today, dumb, standing still, no running away. They know.

#645172 - 12/16/10 11:45 PM Re: Vail tree farm, late muzzleloader? [Re: Dogfish]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Took about a 5 mile hike through Vail today, saw 8 deer including a big and small buck, the spike gave me a shot which I sent about 6" high. Spooked a couple others that I didn't see. Hoping to close the deal before the end of the month.
Didn't see anyone all day, perfect!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (TedR, Carcassman), 550 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |