Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81312 - 04/01/99 12:00 PM How to fillet a fish
salmon Offline
Fry

Loc: Rainier, WA
I need to learn how to fillet a fish. Can anyone help? Should I get a book, or can someone describe the steps?
thanks

jr

#81313 - 04/01/99 02:42 PM Re: How to fillet a fish
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Depends on the fish. Salmon or Steelhead hold the head and start just behind the gill plate pushing down on the knife at the same angle as the plate until you feel the bone. Then you run the blade along that backbone to the tail. Repeat on the opposite side. If you want to dry or smoke em whole like the old tribal ways do not cut the filet completely of at the tail. This makes for an easy way to hang the fish whole.

#81314 - 04/02/99 12:07 AM Re: How to fillet a fish
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Go to Bob's main menu, hit the "fishing tips" page, go to the bottom and hit "past fishing tips", then you'll see which one to hit.

#81315 - 04/14/99 10:28 PM Re: How to fillet a fish
Buster Offline
Fry

Loc: Forks WA
For a superviser, you must be a little new at fishing or at least filleting..It may be really hard to git it done in print or photos, I suggest some hands on, with some one of experience, a good knife and a bit of practice to get the feel of the bones and meat you have to work with

#81316 - 04/29/99 01:15 PM Re: How to fillet a fish
Anonymous
Unregistered

First thing I suggest you do is invest in a good knife. Not a typical long slender fillet knife but a good hefty butcher knife. I use a 10 inch, hollow edge, butcher knife. The blade is an 1 1/2 inches wide and has much more of a blunt point than a fillet knife. When I fillet a large chinook I wish I had a 12 inch blade.

I generally start with a fish that has been gutted. First, holding the fish just in front of the tail, roll it up on it belly and with a swift stroke remove the dorsal and adpose fins. Then with the fish laying on its side, put the point of the knife inside the body cavity, just behind the head and break through the ribs on top and bottom of the back bone. Now push the blade through the fish using the upper of the two small cuts you have made through the ribs. The blade will now be sticking out the top of the fish with the sharp edge toward the tail. Now, taking the ribs and all, cut toward the tail stopping about 4 inches from the tail. It's important not to cut the tail end of the fillet loose on the first stroke. That's because when you roll the fish over and cut the second fillet the first fillet will hold the backbone straight while you are working. Now roll the fish over and run the blade out the top of the fish like before. Again taking the ribs and all, cut all the way to the tail. This time cut the fillet loose from the tail. Cut both fillets loose from the head and cut the first fillet loose from the tail. Now remove the ventral fins.

It's important to take the ribs with the fillet because the ribs and the membrane between the ribs protect the meat if you freeze it and, hold the juices in when you cook it. It's also much easier than trying to cut the fillet off the ribs. I gave up doing that a long time ago. The ribs are easily lifted off the fillet after you cook it.

This method is both quick and simple for steelhead and salmon of all sizes.

Just like keeping the skin on the fillet, the ribs protect the meat during freezing and cooking.

It all depends on the knife. I bought mine from Englund Marine during one of the fishing shows here in Portland.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |