Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82481 - 09/20/99 10:56 AM Big Boys in the Nisqually
salmon Offline
Fry

Loc: Rainier, WA
My son returned from summer cannery work in Wrangal, Alaska last week with 30 pounds of roe. Used the recipe found on this website and hit the river this past weekend. Bottom bounced eggs for several hours before I hooked onto a 23 pound buck. The largest I have caught on this river since prior to my enlistment in the Navy in '71. I guess this recipe works! Tight lines, all.
Tom, the SalmonMan.

#82482 - 09/21/99 10:58 PM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I have heard from a few people that the Nisqually has 2 distinct runs of kings every other year. The odd year is supposedly the run of big fish and the even years are the smaller fish with more jacks. From past experience that could be true, but I'm certainly not an authority, just passing along the rumor. I have seen alot of nice fish out of there this year though.

#82483 - 09/22/99 10:27 AM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
salmon Offline
Fry

Randy, I think that you are right. I have the same and last year I did latch onto several jacks and the kings did seem smaller in size. I guess all that we can do is to take advantage of the situation this year and get our smokers ready!
Tom the SalmonMan

------------------
<{--(--{

#82484 - 09/22/99 02:01 PM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
takedown Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake Wa.
Does anyone know what the flot from the tank crossing to handycapped is like this year? Thinking about floating it on Friday?

#82485 - 09/22/99 09:52 PM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
Randy Fischer Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tacoma Wa
Muddy, but I seen alot of fish in the tide water holes rolling. I have seen alot fish caught (or snagged) in the tide water. Eggs have not been working for me or my buddy. I've been hitting the good holes with no sucess on eggs. I think I save my eggs. Tight lines.

#82486 - 09/23/99 02:10 AM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
takedown,

I floated from the power plant a few times before the fish were really running. This is my first year with a boat so I don't know how it compares to the past few. I liked the holes that I saw. I havn't had the time to float it since July but was thinking about maybe trying it sat. let me know how it goes for you I'de like to try it. from what I've heard it might be better to float out to the salt and fish the tide water. I think the fish in the upper part of the river are going to be really dark. I did hear the pinks were really thick around the tank crossing. can't keap them but they are fun to catch put back.

dcrzfitter

#82487 - 09/23/99 10:49 AM Re: Big Boys in the Nisqually
salmon Offline
Fry

Randy, you're right about the eggs not working for a lot of people. I may have just been lucky with my eggs or maybe those Alaskan eggs are a tasty treat for these local kings. I have seen several others using eggs (store bought) with no results at all. The only other fish I have seen caught were on corkies and yarn. the most common colors are red or yellow corkies and orange or yellow yarn. When I hit the river I will alternate between bouncing eggs and bouncing corkies. Blue Fox, spoons, and kwikfish worked well last year but nothing this year for anyone using those (that I have seen or heard). Tight lines, all. Tom the SalmonMan.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |